aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

Just bought the DVD box set of James Clavell's "Shogun".....

always loved it, and am now about halfway through watching it again.

Excellent !

(want to get hold of "Roots" boxset next, and watch that again too!)

Ha ha the (50yr old) woman I used to work with gave me a shot of her Root's video box set few years back, brought back some memories (checks spelling....) Kunta Kinte!

I may add that i must of seen it the second tmie round, in the 80's

Watched The Asylums version of Sherlock Holmes last night. Its my first experience of one of their movies and I was mightly impressed at how entertaining it was (of course, in a bad way). The front cover has the guys who obviously play Watson and Holmes on the front surrounded by dinosaurs, robots and dragons burning sites around London. You know you have a quality film with a front cover like that. I'd give it 2/10 and therefore well worth an hour and twenty minutes of your time!!!

I just watched Nick Love's remake of 80's hooligan film 'the firm' and have to say, as I expected, utterly pointless. Some decent acting performances but you just cannot top the original with Gary Oldman and Phil Davis. It wasnt that it was particularly bad but as I say utterly pointless. Dunno why there is obsession to remake or reimagine (fuck that word annoys me) old stuff, i guess scriptwriters have run out of ideas and its more about selling, marketing and making money...

I would highly recommend if you havent seen the original of the firm go watch that instead of the new version. you get to see a young phil mitchell and jim macdonald out of corrie talking with a cockney accent if nothing else :)

I saw that on Film4 last year i think and was pretty impressed too. The sequel wasn't so good though.

Thanks, as since Battle Royale 2 I've been leary of Japanese sequels. I don't imagine it was quite as bad as that one though.

I also saw

No Man's Land which if you read the summary, you pretty much know the whole movie.

I also watched part of Capitalism: A Love Story

It was fairly weak. A standard thrashing of capitalism as purely corporate plutocracy, coupled with the confusion of holding up an also capitialist model of a partnership as the alternative. I want to pound his smug little face with a mallet.

Thanks, as since Battle Royale 2 I've been leary of Japanese sequels. I don't imagine it was quite as bad as that one though.

I also saw

No Man's Land which if you read the summary, you pretty much know the whole movie.

Damn, i've got BR 2 on my HD at the moment. Is it watchable? I would still say Death Note 2 is worth a watch but it lacks the impetus of the first one and goes off the rails a little towards the end. I have a sneaking suspicion that they were toying with the idea of remaking (americanising) the first one o_O

Damn, i've got BR 2 on my HD at the moment. Is it watchable? I would still say Death Note 2 is worth a watch but it lacks the impetus of the first one and goes off the rails a little towards the end. I have a sneaking suspicion that they were toying with the idea of remaking (americanising) the first one o_O

I believe I switched BR2 off so probably not watchable. IIRC, the director (who did the original) died during production and it was finished by someone else. Give it a shot, by all means but I wouldn't buy nibbles or invite the movie posse over.

I never watch those remakes. I suppose subtitles on the big screen are annoying (or I'm just incredibly lazy and dislike moving my eyeballs around that much) but I just like the pace and cultural setting of Japanese cinema more.

I just watched Nick Love's remake of 80's hooligan film 'the firm' and have to say, as I expected, utterly pointless. I would highly recommend if you havent seen the original of the firm go watch that instead of the new version.

Pointless - That's a good way to describe it.

I watched another pointless remake last night - "The Hills Have Eyes". Good mutant makeup and icky skull-crunching effects, but otherwise meh. 4/10

Has anyone watched White Lightnin what a weird yet brilliant movie. I thought the guy looked familiar who plays the lead role, but when I IMDB'd him saw he's only been on a few movies. The guy played this redneck who was pretty much mentally instable, perhaps the solvent abuse as a child played on that, but it follows his life and demons. It's got Carrie Fisher in it too.

Thumbs up - recommend!

Pointless - That's a good way to describe it.

I watched another pointless remake last night - "The Hills Have Eyes". Good mutant makeup and icky skull-crunching effects, but otherwise meh. 4/10

My girlfriend was so scared during that film she actually cried. I made fun of her.

It's not the same without Michael Berryman.

Recent films:

Detroit Rock City - 4 teenagers in the 1970s go on a pilgrimage to Detroit to attend a Kiss concert with no tickets and no money. Hi-jinks ensue. The whole film plays like a 2 hour Kiss advert, but it's pretty funny nonetheless. Plus Edward Furlong and that bird from American Pie are in it.

Carrie - Haven't seen this for a while, but marvelled at how many classic scenes are in it, and Brian DaPalma's direction and camera work are excellent. This is a truly classic horror film with an excellent cast, and no matter how many times I see it, the ending still creeps the fuck out of me. Brilliant.

My girlfriend was so scared during that film she actually cried. I made fun of her.

It's not the same without Michael Berryman.

Recent films:

Detroit Rock City - 4 teenagers in the 1970s go on a pilgrimage to Detroit to attend a Kiss concert with no tickets and no money. Hi-jinks ensue. The whole film plays like a 2 hour Kiss advert, but it's pretty funny nonetheless. Plus Edward Furlong and that bird from American Pie are in it.

Carrie - Haven't seen this for a while, but marvelled at how many classic scenes are in it, and Brian DaPalma's direction and camera work are excellent. This is a truly classic horror film with an excellent cast, and no matter how many times I see it, the ending still creeps the fuck out of me. Brilliant.

Laughing at your girlfriends distress - you bad man!

Detroit Rock City - good fun movie.

Carrie - it was that wee model of Jesus on the cross with the lit-up eyes that freaked me out. Superb movie, with DePalma's signature split screen technique used to great effect.

Laughing at your girlfriends distress - you bad man!

Detroit Rock City - good fun movie.

Carrie - it was that wee model of Jesus on the cross with the lit-up eyes that freaked me out. Superb movie, with DePalma's signature split screen technique used to great effect.

The bit where the

mum dies in exactly the same pose as the Jesus statue that Carrie has been forced to pray in front of

is fucking marvellous. Great piece of cinema.

Watched Ninja Assassin last night. Thought it looked good, but would be shit. I was happily wrong. Some pretty good action sequences and while the Wachowskis used the same "Soul Calibur"esque trails for ALL bladed weapons as they used for V's knives in V for Vendetta, as well as the same blood effect CG, it was more than watchable. Pretty good actually, only let down by one bit where they give in too fully to the desire to take things a bit far late in the film.

On a 12 hour flight up and over Iceland to the Dominican Republic.....

The Invention of Lying - pretty good light hearted entertainment 6.5/10

The Men Who Stare at Goats - Unique, Quite enjoyed it. Clooney and Bridges were excellent. Magregor was dull. My interest waned at the end. 6.5/10

Crazy Heart - Best film I've seen in a while. Honest and touching. Oscar worthy for The Dude of all dudes. 9/10

I watched a great film the other night though the title escapes me for the moment. It was in German and was about Hitler's final hours as seen throught the eyes of his final assistant. It pulled no punches and ended up a quite emotional journey. But i'll be fekked if I can remember it's title!!!!

I watched a great film the other night though the title escapes me for the moment. It was in German and was about Hitler's final hours as seen throught the eyes of his final assistant. It pulled no punches and ended up a quite emotional journey. But i'll be fekked if I can remember it's title!!!!

Downfall ?