aberdeen-music

Scotland's vibrant new Slogan!

framheim

Welcome to Scotland!

*sigh*

BBC NEWS | Scotland | New Scots tourism slogan unveiled

i wasn't a big fan of the best small country in the world but i do think this is a wasted opportunity and indeed a waste of money. How they can try and spin this as a vibrant simple message that was well researched is beyond me.

what would you lot have at our airports to welcome folks?

i think they could have had messages in local dialects so in the North East they could have Welcome to Scotland, fit like? in Glasgow they could have Welcome to Scotland, get it up ye!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steven Dedalus
Wow. So this is what we pay taxes for?

Brilliant.

And how dare they claim Scotland is the best small country in the World.

Idiots.

Yeah, Northern Ireland is the best small country in the world!

(Actually, it's a rubbish hole. A disgrace of a country. I actually prefer Scotland now! Never thought you'd hear me say that, eh Pil?)

What's wrong with it? We don't need an overly flashly "modern" slogan that'll be out of date within a few months, and what's more, it's what Scotland should be about - a sensible, modern democracy with aspirations of independence within a few years. We're not overly cutting edge, but we are proud of our country and what's a better way to do it than to simply welcome them in a simple, effective way?

What's wrong with it? We don't need an overly flashly "modern" slogan that'll be out of date within a few months, and what's more, it's what Scotland should be about - a sensible, modern democracy with aspirations of independence within a few years. We're not overly cutting edge, but we are proud of our country and what's a better way to do it than to simply welcome them in a simple, effective way?

it's the way they're spinning it as a 'slogan' which grates i think. if they'd changed it to that a bit sooner instead of doing a study into it and spending over a 100 grand on the damned thing then it would all be ok.

it's the way they're spinning it as a 'slogan' which grates i think. if they'd changed it to that a bit sooner instead of doing a study into it and spending over a 100 grand on the damned thing then it would all be ok.

Isn't the money being spent on materials/etc to actually install the thing at our borders, as opposed to the money going into someone's pocket?

Actually, I do have one criticism of it - I don't like the way that Gaelic is in a smaller font than the rest. It should have equal prominence - but from a design point of view, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

Actually, I do have one criticism of it - I don't like the way that Gaelic is in a smaller font than the rest. It should have equal prominence - but from a design point of view, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

Surely it doesnt need to be there at all? I mean, its to welcome visitors to a country, most people can read and understand the English, but are probably left confused by the obsolete jibberish underneath!

Im looking at this from a purely modern point of view and not harking back to 'Gaelic is our heritage'.

Isn't the money being spent on materials/etc to actually install the thing at our borders, as opposed to the money going into someone's pocket?

don't be daft. gaelic shouldn't be given the same prominence as english on a sign like that. barely anyone speaks the language! it should be on the sign for sure but to say that it should be as big as english is ridiculous.

hopefully on the aberdeen sign it will be in doric rather than gaelic.

and yes i know the money is mainly being spent on materials, i'm not an idiot.