aberdeen-music

Scotland's vibrant new Slogan!

framheim

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you speak doric in a job interview? No you wouldn't.

Probably not, but that doesn’t mean I’m not “Educated”.

Excuse my ignorance but what does MA stand for?

Im pretty sure its master of arts, and having a degree in that does not mean you are well educated it just means that you are were too retarded to do anything other than draw pretty pictures

Yes, you are indeed displaying your ignorance. MA does stand for Master of Arts, but having an "Arts" degree does not necessarily mean "drawing", here's a list of the arts degrees on offer at Aberdeen:

What can I study?

As you will see it includes all sorts of stuff like accountancy, mathematics, computing etc. And I can’t really comment on the addition to your signature, as my degree is in Politics and International Relations, not art. In fact, probably the only person I know with a degree in art would be Alan Cynic…

I can vouch for the fact that bigsby cannot draw pretty pictures:up:

Ha! Yes, you can indeed!

Guest idol_wild
Excuse my ignorance but what does MA stand for?

Im pretty sure its master of arts, and having a degree in that does not mean you are well educated it just means that you are were too retarded to do anything other than draw pretty pictures

Silly thing to say. I have an MA and there was no drawing, painting, or any practical artwork involved in my course.

In a way, it's actually snobbier to suggest that you don't discriminate against people speaking in broad accents and dialects. I wouldn't claim for a second I'm beyond making rash, unfair judgements on something purely on the basis of its surface.

I personally don't see the point in lamenting the absence of dialect representation within airport greetings. The Scots language has rarely enjoyed much prominence in formal affairs, why start now - token, comedy gesture towards a few nationalists?

Educated people do not speak doric.

What exactly does 'educated' mean? I know plenty of people with degrees and awards who don't have much common sense, general knowledge or love of everything 'intellectual'.

In fact, one of the most clever people I have ever met was my former employer. He began left school with no qualifications, and worked picking up scrap pieces of paper in a mill. 40 years later, he sold his shares in his company for 40m. He now has interests in recycling and waste managent. We often discussed topics as far-ranging as politics, literature, philosophy and art. When I quit my job to go to University, he wished me well, though I now know there is a lot more to being 'educated' than pieces of paper. Yet, do you know the most remarkable thing? I know it might be hard to believe, but... he speaks doric.

You've often got some sensible things to say Stripey, shame you have to ruin it with ridiculous, mindless bollocks like this.

Are all the characters in a Scots Quair supposed to be idiots then?

He really pissed off the locals because of the way he portrayed them, you might know that if you actually had an interest in the guy and his writing rather than only knowing about him atall because you were (most likely) made to read Sunset Song at school.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Silly thing to say. I have an MA and there was no drawing, painting, or any practical artwork involved in my course.

And as someone who has seen Pil's artwork, I can testify that the above statement is most assuredly true.

I am, of course, only joking.

Although, I know what his degree is in, and the statement is true, just the bit about the drawings being bad, that bit isn't true.

Geddit?

And on the subject of dialects, the radio station I work at has to cover different dialects and languages as part of it's remit, and one of those covered is Ulster Scots.

Now, I know, and indeed admire several of the people who work on the Ulster Scots programme, but the second they start speaking it, I'm afraid I can't take it, or by association, them seriously.

Then they stop speaking it, and I take them seriously again.

I'm not saying a regional dialect makes you stupid, but I can understand the hostility generated towards it.

But then again, we can't all talk proper like me.

Yeah, because you know perfectly well that if you did it would make you sound ignorant

No, I would just assume that the person interviewing me didn't speak doric and therefore wouldn't understand what I was saying.

If the person started interviewing me in doric, then I would reply in doric, no question.

Guest Steven Dedalus

What is this thread about again?

Oh yeah, a sleggin match.

Got it.

Gi' it laldy.

(not sure of my pronounciation, but I'm not from round your way, as you may have gathered.)

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever heard a ned speaking Doric. Bastardised Glaswegian, yes, Doric (as our forefathers would understand it) no.

I think there's a distinction to be made between "toonser" doric (Think Councillor Swick in Scotland the What?) and "teuchter" doric (Think Robbie Shepherd).

I would say that your typical "ned" talk ie "Himmin ye bam, fit the f**K de ye think yer deein?" would fall under the toonser category.

Personally I'm on the teuchter side, beasts and dubs and all that. :gringo:

Guest idol_wild

or are you above a bit o doric? should they have it in binary instead?

I've been trying to give you some reputation for this for days, but it won't let me.

So consider this to be some reputation.

Fucking binary! Brilliant! :laughing:

Guest Neutral

Not a silly thing to say a perfectly logical thing to say, answer this, why are there "arts" degrees in non "arts" subjects?

Guest Neutral
Aye you do.

Drum and Bass:up:

I've been trying to give you some reputation for this for days, but it won't let me.

So consider this to be some reputation.

Fucking binary! Brilliant! :laughing:

Find another of his posts which was not in general discussion and give reputation using that post :up: