aberdeen-music

Scotland's vibrant new Slogan!

framheim

Guest idol_wild
Not a silly thing to say a perfectly logical thing to say, answer this, why are there "arts" degrees in non "arts" subjects?

One can study the arts without being an artist. For example, my degree is in History of Art and Film Studies. So I am not an artist, but I am educated in two avenues of the arts.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steven Dedalus
I don't listen to trance, I don't even listen to techno or house.

Anyway having a sign at aberdeen airport in doric would be akin to having a sign saying "SUP NIZZLE?" at JFK airport or something.

Pure genius.

Laugh of the day, in fact.

He really pissed off the locals because of the way he portrayed them, you might know that if you actually had an interest in the guy and his writing rather than only knowing about him atall because you were (most likely) made to read Sunset Song at school.

I haven't read any Lewis Grassic Gibbon apart from a little excerpt of his anthology which I gave to a friend as a present (terrible I know). I don't think it is strictly necessary to do research into a writer's personal life and writing career to appreciate his or her work. You also seem to be implying that since I live in the north-east I should be knowledgable about Lewis Grassic Gibbon because this makes him part of my cultural heritage, which seems totally at odds with you dismissal of the local dialect. If that isn't what you're implying, then you are just having a go at me for not knowing much about one specific writer among millionswhich is just absurd. It's like me trying to paint you as a moron just because you don't know (in all likelihood, although you'll probably be looking to wikipedia in response to this post) that Jaroslav Hasek spent time in Russian prisoner camps during World War One, or that Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was a professor at Harvard.

I think you'll find I asked you a question about the characters in Lewis Grassic Gibbon books bud. Try harder.

You asked that question because you assumed (mistakenly, because you haven't even read the book) that he portrayed the people of the mearns in a glowing light. You were wrong, deal with it.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Try reading the fucking book before making bullshit statements about its content just so you can enter an argument.

That's very lazy, sir.

And you haven't even responded to the point Larsen B was making (which is entirely valid, in my opinion).

For shame!

That's very lazy, sir.

And you haven't even responded to the point Larsen B was making (which is entirely valid, in my opinion).

For shame!

I'm not implying that he should be aware of leslie mitchell just because he lives in the north east and its part of his cultural heritage, or that you should know the background of a writer before being able to appreciate his work (reading the work in the first place is generally a good starting point).

I'm plainly saying that he tried to make a point originally without even having read the book, I discounted his paltry attempt at stirring shit up and now he's just clutching at straws and deviating even further from the original subject of this thread.