aberdeen-music

Scotland's vibrant new Slogan!

framheim

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
Yeah, Northern Ireland is the best small country in the world!

(Actually, it's a rubbish hole. A disgrace of a country. I actually prefer Scotland now! Never thought you'd hear me say that, eh Pil?)

Actually, I knew you'd come to your senses eventually. You are capable of reason, from time to time.

Guest Steven Dedalus
"Scotland - bleaker than that film, The Deer Hunter"

that'd be a good slogan.

I like it!

It neatly sums up my time there.

I'd like to chip in with:

"Scotland: there was nothing to do, so I had to make my own entertainment."

or:

"Scotland: Where I became an alcoholic."

Surely it doesnt need to be there at all? I mean, its to welcome visitors to a country, most people can read and understand the English, but are probably left confused by the obsolete jibberish underneath!

Im looking at this from a purely modern point of view and not harking back to 'Gaelic is our heritage'.

Surely a purely modern point of view would accept that Gaelic is on the path to being treated as a seperate, but equal language, similar to Welsh? Only old fashioned mindsets would ignore the existence of Gaelic - particularly as it's a very real and living language. Gaelic isn't the heritage of all the country - but neither is English.

And obsolete jibberish? Tell that to the people on the streets of Skye or the Western Isles then. I was in Skye in the summer and heard just as much Gaelic being spoken as English - so how is it "obsolete jibberish" if a significant amount of tourists are beng exposed to it? I was even greeted in a couple of shops with Gaelic rather than English.

As for Scots - until the Scottish Government clarify their intentions regarding the language, it's probably best left well alone.

Gaelic - ... it's a very real and living language.

The number of Gaelic speakers in Scotland has reached an all-time low, according to new figures.

Numbers from the 2001 census, released on Thursday morning, confirmed the language is still in decline.

The number of Gaelic speakers fell by 11% over 10 years to a figure of 58,650.

This is the first time that the number has fallen below 60,000, bringing Gaelic close to the figure at which it is thought a language can no longer survive.

The number of Gaelic speakers in Scotland has reached an all-time low, according to new figures.

Numbers from the 2001 census, released on Thursday morning, confirmed the language is still in decline.

The number of Gaelic speakers fell by 11% over 10 years to a figure of 58,650.

This is the first time that the number has fallen below 60,000, bringing Gaelic close to the figure at which it is thought a language can no longer survive.

You're quoting a news story from 2003 (BBC NEWS | Scotland | Census shows drop in Gaelic speakers), yet in 2005 another news story said there were 92,400 Gaelic speakers:

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Mixed report on Gaelic language

2001 was 6 years ago and a lot has been done since then to revive the language, not least the Gaelic Language (Scotland) Act 2005.

You're quoting a news story from 2003 (BBC NEWS | Scotland | Census shows drop in Gaelic speakers), yet in 2005 another news story said there were 92,400 Gaelic speakers:

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Mixed report on Gaelic language

2001 was 6 years ago and a lot has been done since then to revive the language, not least the Gaelic Language (Scotland) Act 2005.

Yeah, get with the times Stripey you relic. And why would having the slogan in Doric at Aberdeen airport be a joke?

I'm not the only one that equates doric with a low IQ.

Do you think everyone should speak in RP like 1940s newsreaders then?

Who are these comrades of yours who feel that speaking in regional variation denotes low intelligence? Does it apply to all dialects or just Doric?

Any other handy indicators we can use to identify and avoid the feeble minded? The shape of their skull perhaps?

Do you think everyone should speak in RP like 1940s newsreaders then?

Who are these comrades of yours who feel that speaking in regional variation denotes low intelligence? Does it apply to all dialects or just Doric?

Any other handy indicators we can use to identify and avoid the feeble minded? The shape of their skull perhaps?

No, I don't think people should all talk in BBC english.

And yeah the shape of the skull might be a giveaway. Given the fact that these people are all inbred simpletons genetic phsyiological deformities are probably quite common.

No, I don't think people should all talk in BBC english.

And yeah the shape of the skull might be a giveaway. Given the fact that these people are all inbred simpletons genetic phsyiological deformities are probably quite common.

Yeah but you're forgetting the fact that these people can study and educate themselves. You'll always be a complete cunt no matter how hard you try. :up:

Educated people do not speak doric.

Au contraire, I have an MA, upper second class honours (that's 2:1 to you), and I speak doric regularly. Not all the time, but I tend to lapse into it automatically when somebody else talks doric.

And the three guys who were Scotland the What? are all extremely well educated, articulate, successful in their chosen fields etc. And they speak doric.

Au contraire, I have an MA, upper second class honours (that's 2:1 to you), and I speak doric regularly. Not all the time, but I tend to lapse into it automatically when somebody else talks doric.

And the three guys who were Scotland the What? are all extremely well educated, articulate, successful in their chosen fields etc. And they speak doric.

Would you speak doric in a job interview? No you wouldn't.

Educated people do not speak doric.

Really?

Sunset Song (and in fact the whole of A Scots Quair) was written by an uneducated idiot, then? What about Maureen Watt of the SNP, is she an uneducated idiot too? Hang on...

Stripey darling, let's face it, only uneducated idiots would make uneducated comments.

Guest Neutral

Excuse my ignorance but what does MA stand for?

Im pretty sure its master of arts, and having a degree in that does not mean you are well educated it just means that you are were too retarded to do anything other than draw pretty pictures

Really?

Sunset Song (and in fact the whole of A Scots Quair) was written by an uneducated idiot, then? What about Maureen Watt of the SNP, is she an uneducated idiot too? Hang on...

Stripey darling, let's face it, only uneducated idiots would make uneducated comments.

lewis grassic gibbon did not write in doric, he affected the style to suit the subject matter in the scots quair. I take it you haven't read any of his scifi? I actually met his daughter.