aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Sorry about this and not trying to offend anyone but Mike MacCurry is a fucking joke, the Falkirk players took the piss out of him tonight, how it can't be noticed his total bias towards AFC is unbelivable! Don't get me wrong i realise i can be bias sitting in the south stand but there were too many times tonight i think he made the completly wrong decisions. Even ones against Aberdeen. Maybe ill have a clearer view when i watch the game highlights.

Hey, I'm no referee apologist, sometimes they can be lamentably poor. All I'm saying is that they're the ones who are qualified, they're the ones closer to the action. Sometimes they correctly see things that your standard fan doesn't. And sometimes they get it wrong, but questioning their honesty and integrity is barking up the wrong tree. As a Dons fan, I am certain that McCurry is not biased against us. Some fans would have you believe that every contentious decision that he gives against us is part of some evil plot, but it's not. It seems as if the Dons fans prejudge McCurry before a ball even gets kicked! Next time he's in charge, try not to curse our bad luck and have a look at his decisions objectively, ignoring how eminently punchable his smug face is. Like every ref, he should be judged on his performance in that given game, and not prejudged because he has a history of upsetting the Reds.

I would love to be a ref full time, it must be the only occupation where you can be totally incapable of doing a job yet you are never questioned on your compatance!!

You gotta be kidding! Your competence is questioned by every man and his dog, every armchair pundit, every biased punter and every media hack every single game. However, the people whose opinion actually matters (ie the refereeing honchos sitting up in the stands) rarely take disciplinary measures against officials because, generally, the officials are pretty good. Stuart Dougal got sanctioned two seasons back for sarcastically saying 'fuck off' to Bob Malcolm, and Rob Styles (I think) got demoted for two weeks earlier this season for giving Chelsea an absolutely ridiculous penalty against Liverpool. Graham Poll got sent home from the 2006 World Cup for giving Simunic (sp?) three yellows in one game. The officials who fucked up the Scotland - Italy game in November got turfed out of international duty too. So it does happen, just not as often as some punters would have you believe it should!

Anyway, I've done enough sticking up for officials these last coupla days. I'll just make one last point - you know how when you watch a game on the telly that doesn't involve your team, the officials always seem like they're doing a pretty good job? They don't suddenly become bad at their job just because Aberdeen//Montrose/Dundee Utd/Tottenham/Bayern Munich (thought I'd give Phil geneveive a heads up!) are involved. Rather, the perspective of the punter changes and all objectivity goes out the window. I'm guilty of it too, as soon as Aberdeen are involved. They don't get every decision right, but believe me, each individual player on the park make a whole heap more mistakes in any given game than the officials.

(OK Christy, shut up now. We like shouting at the ref! It's part of the game! McCurry's a knob!)

I know he is, but he's not a cheat.

Love from Christy

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair Doo's!! i know we all see things differently and you are right my mind was probably made up as soon as i found out that it was McCurry that was in charge. But i still think he was wrong not to take any action on any of the Falkirk players for their timewasting!

But as i said who cares, we got the result and into the top six!

Guest idol_wild
I've never felt that Maguire is good enough to play for Aberdeen. Fair play to him last night getting the goals but i don't think he offers enough.

Agreed - so long as he is at the club I am not paying to watch.

thought McCurry WAS terrible today. A few, but only a few, genuine fouls for both teams he missed, but how on earth he only presented one yellow card to a Falkirk player (and NOT for time-wasting) is beyond me. Surely one yellow to one of their numerous consistent time wasters would have brought an end to it. Also persistent fouls/bad tackles that i thought should have been worthy of a yellow.

I digress though. Not pretty at all, but canna complain really. Top 6 whilst not an achievment in itself, at least means we can avoid the embarrassment of closing out the season to absolute nobodys like St.Mirren, Falkirk, Gretna, ICT and Hearts.

Thought Maguire had an excellent first half, and although tired in the 2nd took his goal exceptionally well. Prepared to accept over the last fortnight that maybe he does have something and his previous problems were done to playing out of position and lack of confidence. Not quite ready to call the dury in yet though. JC's subs baffled me at the time, although (as is the case when we end up winning) i CAN see a method behind the madness, taking into account differing levels of fitness and performance throughout the game.

All in all, just glad to have made it, and the fixtures seem quite handy i think.

IF we get to the final...if someone had offered me this season before a ball had been kicked i would have bitten their hands off.

1-1 to send us through against Dnipro.

Through group stages with a 4-0 over Copenhagen.

2-2 with Bayern at Pittodrie.

League Cup Semi-Final.

Beating Celtic at Parkhead.

Scottish Cup (at least) Semi-Final - complete with first Hampden appearance in 8 years.

PLUS truly memorable, although unfruitful trips to Madrid and Munich for those of lucky enough to have gone (plus Ukraine and Athens for some also)

And top 6 consolidated in a dramatic fashion.

...nae bad nae bad.

the best is yet to come though!

...Wipes away the tears of laughter...

mirror-k19-2.jpg

Aye, you just keep laughing while playing the likes of Gretna and St Mirren. ;)

Seems breaking the wage structure for Niculae has really fucked up the team spirit at Caley.

Keep them coming...

Do you believe everything you read in the Sun? Niculae has been incredible behind the scenes these last few weeks, in healing the Ian Black feud and boosting the team spirit. The club is also paying him the same wage as was offered to Craig Dargo before he left, with the Chairman paying him a bit extra. Hardly breaking "our wage structure".

Niculae scored for Romania the other week and by all accounts looks like making Euro 2008.

Guest idol_wild
jeeso! thats a wee bit harsh, he's only 19 and he's scored a few lately after being given a chance upfront.

What more do you want him to offer? He's there to put it in the onion bag and lately he has. i say well done bebo. hopefully he can keep it up.

Chris Maguire lacks so many attributes that I like to see in a footballer.

Firstly, and crucially, his attitude appears to stink. On the pitch, he's a grade-A pussy - he pulls out of challenges at amost every opportunity.

Secondly, he doesn't seem capable of kicking a football very hard. This is a problem for a professional player.

Thirdly, his balance (or choice of footwear) is truly abysmal. He seems to end up on his knees an awful lot (hey, maybe this is why Calderwood seems to like him - arf).

Fourthly, he's like a wee boy when in the first team just now. He has no measure of strength at all. My granny can knock him off the ball. His ability to hold up the ball is non-existant.

He's terrible in the air.

He never knows when to pass or whom to pass to.

Yes, he's scored three important goals for Aberdeen lately. But as a result he seems to think he's a big shot and that he merits a place in the starting line-up for the semi-final.

Like fuck.

A career in division two beckons for Maguire. He's simply not good enough in my book. Age has nothing to do with it. At least at that age when Mackie was emerging, he showed desire and enthusiasm. Maguire is just a big-mouthed little pussy.

Off with his head!

Niculae has been incredible behind the scenes these last few weeks, in healing the Ian Black feud and boosting the team spirit. .

what's he doing? Organising parties and away days?

The club is also paying him the same wage as was offered to Craig Dargo before he left, with the Chairman paying him a bit extra. Hardly breaking "our wage structure"..

surely that is breaking the wage structure - players a, b and c get x amount but player c gets a wee bit more????

Niculae scored for Romania the other week and by all accounts looks like making Euro 2008.

No disrespect, but if he's good enough for Euro 2008 then he's at too small a club just now.