aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

Nearly 48 hours later and I still feel sick.

What a disgrace, an absolute kick in the teeth to the 14,000 of us that travelled down. I hope Calderwood and his bunch of clowns are suitably embarressed and ashamed at that pitiful performance.

So, which of the rats will be first to desert the ship - when do hear that Nicholson and Lee Miller are inevitably off?

Fuck them. Fuck them all, the spineless, cowardly, traitorous scum.

Wasn't able to watch the match but have since seen the highlights. I was astonished at how easy the goals were against us... Massive pitch and nay idea! Shocking!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild
I dunno why everyone was blaming McNamara.

I do. He was one of the worst players on the park.

He wasn't personally culpable for any of the goals, but he was woeful.

I agree that Considine had an absolute shocker, though.

So, now that the dust has settled on the worst result in AFC history (I'm struggling to think of anything that even comes close), what's everyone's take on whether JC should stay or go??

Personally, I'd keep him on board. We've binned Miller, Aitken, Hegarty, Skovdahl, Paterson over the last few years, and have never ended up any better off. JC's record stacks up pretty well against any of the above....(especially Skovdahl's who bizarrely seems to benefit from legend status despite a frankly appalling results record).

Our woeful inconsistency this season, has surely been 100% down to the players who seem unwilling or unable to get themselves up for games against unglamorous teams. Results against Bayern, Copenhagen, Dnipro, Celtic this season have shown us off for what we can be.....but the gulf between those performances and the likes of Saturday is massive. People can whinge all they like about JC's tactics, but when only a couple of players can be arsed turning up on a Saturday, it doesnt matter how ingenius your tactics are.....you'll still get battered. Professional players shouldn't need the manager to get them up for a game, if they don't have it in themselves to give 100% every game, they should find another fucking job.

There's a valid argument that JC built this team, so he should take the rap. But what's he built it with? Fuck all. Stewart Milne hasnt given the guy a penny to spend over the last few seasons, so the idea that somebody else could come in and put together a better squad seems rather fanciful. The talent is there, it's all about a pish attitude, epitomised by the so-called senior players like McNamara and Severin. Severin as captain should be inspiring the young players......instead he resorted to blaming everyone else except himself. Disgrace.

I don't think JC is the greatest.....I think his handling of the media, and man-management are questionable, but he's far from the worst manager we've had in recent years, and I fail to see how giving him the boot will benefit us in the long run.

Rant over.

that's the wierd thing - apparently, it's the same length as Pitoddrie and only 2 meters wider!!

Be that two meters that threw them. Maybe it was the big holes in our defence that made it look huge.

was Macnamara's only good move the corss that led to one of our goals? He has been a disappointing signing. Shame to see someone that was thought so highly of playing beyond their sell by date. That said what the hell does jc see in him top give him a start...

i read that calderwood is planning a big clear out in summer, of all the crap he has taken in.

Be that two meters that threw them. Maybe it was the big holes in our defence that made it look huge.

was Macnamara's only good move the corss that led to one of our goals? He has been a disappointing signing. Shame to see someone that was thought so highly of playing beyond their sell by date. That said what the hell does jc see in him top give him a start...

i read that calderwood is planning a big clear out in summer, of all the crap he has taken in.

Pretty difficult to sign anything other than crap when you're given a non-existent transfer budget and are always outbid on wages by other clubs.

Guest idol_wild

This season has confirmed what I said about Aberdeen last season - we have a squad capable of playing effectively as severe underdogs, but perform hopelessly as favourites.

We have a side suited to defending deep and then hitting on the break. We have a decent amount of pace and a bunch of players who are incapable of handling the pressure of being favourites and dominating the game. Plus they are just not good enough to dominate a match.

We only beat Falkirk to gain entry to the top six by stopping them play football.

So, now that the dust has settled on the worst result in AFC history (I'm struggling to think of anything that even comes close), what's everyone's take on whether JC should stay or go??

Personally, I'd keep him on board. We've binned Miller, Aitken, Hegarty, Skovdahl, Paterson over the last few years, and have never ended up any better off. JC's record stacks up pretty well against any of the above....(especially Skovdahl's who bizarrely seems to benefit from legend status despite a frankly appalling results record).

Our woeful inconsistency this season, has surely been 100% down to the players who seem unwilling or unable to get themselves up for games against unglamorous teams. Results against Bayern, Copenhagen, Dnipro, Celtic this season have shown us off for what we can be.....but the gulf between those performances and the likes of Saturday is massive. People can whinge all they like about JC's tactics, but when only a couple of players can be arsed turning up on a Saturday, it doesnt matter how ingenius your tactics are.....you'll still get battered. Professional players shouldn't need the manager to get them up for a game, if they don't have it in themselves to give 100% every game, they should find another fucking job.

There's a valid argument that JC built this team, so he should take the rap. But what's he built it with? Fuck all. Stewart Milne hasnt given the guy a penny to spend over the last few seasons, so the idea that somebody else could come in and put together a better squad seems rather fanciful. The talent is there, it's all about a pish attitude, epitomised by the so-called senior players like McNamara and Severin. Severin as captain should be inspiring the young players......instead he resorted to blaming everyone else except himself. Disgrace.

I don't think JC is the greatest.....I think his handling of the media, and man-management are questionable, but he's far from the worst manager we've had in recent years, and I fail to see how giving him the boot will benefit us in the long run.

Rant over.

while i agree that sacking the two jimmies probably won't acheive an awful lot he has to take some blame. the excuse for the last 10-15 years has always been that the players weren't up for it enough and frankly i just don't buy that this is just the players fault. admittedly if they can't be up for a game which can guarantee them european football(unless rangers lost to st johnstone but that's not likely) and get them within touching distance of a trophy then they shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place but JC has to get that message across to them and get them playing as if QOTS were Bayern.

the buck stops with the manager, end of. though severin was shockingly shit as well. i only saw the last 30 minutes and he looked like he just couldn't be arsed to be there. i also can't accept that we're so shit just because we lost anderson.

as for the transfer fund thing. i don't want aberdeen spending money we don't have anymore. look at the state of hearts. we need to accept our spending power is non-existent and we just have to be canny in the transfer market. and not buy shite like duff.

I still think Calderwood's tactics leave a lot to be desired. Most obviously, name me the top side that plays without at least one holding midfielder. Even the attacking ones do, and it's blatantly obvious why - it's all very well having midfielders who push up to in and around the box, but how are you supposed to exert any kind of sustained dominance if there's nobody there to pick the ball up when it breaks? It also allows your full backs to get forward without having to worry about the centre-backs being as horribly exposed on the counter attack as ours were on Sunday. And WE FUCKING HAVE ONE in Touzani.

But, as someone rightly pointed out already, tactics mean fuck all if the players don't show up. Which is why I have severe doubts about whther, since they've already got my money, I can be bothered to show up for them for the remaining three meaningless games.

Oh and as for the Considine-bashing, I don't think he was any worse than Diamond.

while i agree that sacking the two jimmies probably won't acheive an awful lot he has to take some blame. the excuse for the last 10-15 years has always been that the players weren't up for it enough and frankly i just don't buy that this is just the players fault. admittedly if they can't be up for a game which can guarantee them european football(unless rangers lost to st johnstone but that's not likely) and get them within touching distance of a trophy then they shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place but JC has to get that message across to them and get them playing as if QOTS were Bayern.

the buck stops with the manager, end of. though severin was shockingly shit as well. i only saw the last 30 minutes and he looked like he just couldn't be arsed to be there. i also can't accept that we're so shit just because we lost anderson.

as for the transfer fund thing. i don't want aberdeen spending money we don't have anymore. look at the state of hearts. we need to accept our spending power is non-existent and we just have to be canny in the transfer market. and not buy shite like duff.

I don't believe for a second that JC wouldnt have conveyed the importance of the game to the players, but as I already said, the very fact that this is apparently neccessary should start alarm bells ringing. It's a cup semi final for fucks sake. If the players aren't chomping at the bit for a game like that, their attitude is just all wrong.

Also, I totally disagree that the buck stops solely with the manager. It's not JC that's defending like a god one week, and then like my mum the next. Sure, JC is partly responsible, but if he loses his job, it'll be as much down to the player's half-assed attitude towards the club as anything.

though severin was shockingly shit as well. i only saw the last 30 minutes and he looked like he just couldn't be arsed to be there.

In the first half I thought he was the best player ont he pitch. Made a fair few tackles, generally used the ball well, also got the ball back across for Considine's first goal. Whereas Nicholson was totally anonymous. I agree that in the second half Severin had a poor game (not made easier by the panicked lack of any sort of decent movement from his team-mates), but I think people have ridiculously high expectations of him and are coonstantly on the lookout for reasons to abuse him, same as Mackie and Foster. It's always irritated me that the same people who accuse Calderwood of having his "favourites" are the ones who display incredible double standards in their views on players' performances.

There's a valid argument that JC built this team, so he should take the rap. But what's he built it with? Fuck all. Stewart Milne hasnt given the guy a penny to spend over the last few seasons

Did Paterson have the kind of money to pay Severin, Miller, Smith or McNamara's wages? Did he fuck.

Get rid of the lot of them.

I do want to see a clearout and some serious rebuilding, but given the lack of funds we obviously have to be realistic and get our priorities right for next season in terms of who we bring in. If we're serious about rebuilding the squad and doing it right then we have to look to do it bit by bit, addressing our most pressing needs first.

Firstly, we'll desperately need direct replacements for Miller (unless we drastically change our style of play it'll have to be a player of much the same ilk) and Nicholson, and a third striker with Lovell leaving as well. We also need a centre-back, and discounting any possibility of Anderson coming back I think we'll be limited to looking for a big, solid, dominant ball winner in the vein of Dods, Wilkie and Craigan, all whom, like it or not, are effective SPL defenders through sheer size and recognition of their limitations.

Do that and we've got the spine of a very decent first team. After that (and I don't think for a second that this is ALL going to be possible this summer), we need two full-backs and a wide player.

Given a hint of ambition (i.e. recent promises regarding spending even half-kept) and prudent management Aberdeen can greatly improve the squad for next season. Otherwise I predict a 7th or 8th place finish for next season and thoroughly depressing attendances.

worst thing ive ever witnessed. unless there is some genuinely exciting signings made in the summer i doubt i'll be renewing my ticket.

Im jumping on the McNamara bandwagon here. He was every bit as bad as people are saying he was. In my opinion it was him being caught miles out of position time after time that was constantly dragging Considine out of position. In March as far as I can recall we played a back 4 of Maybury, Diamond, Considine and Foster. Whilst not the most solid defence i can think of at least it was settled and I think defensively we performed pretty well then. As soon as fucking Jackie is fit though he is STRAIGHT back in the team, and we've been a shambles since (minus Parkhead but even then - LUCKY)

How can a player get hooked at half time against Falkirk for being atrocious, get a start in the most important game of the season 5 days later?! Anyone can see his legs are gone and he himself surely should be embarrassed given the great career he's had until now.

I'm fucking fed up. Spent an unprecedented amount on the Dons this season, and to be fair, had some of my best times with them. But to be delivered shite like that when it really matters, when a professional and committed performance would have seen us sail through...disgusting.

The rot will have truly have set in by next season. and no UEFA Cup to paper over the cracks this time. Really not looking forward to it.