aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank fuck I slept in and missed the Jags game!

Agree with Maxi: a fairly poor game, with another bellend referee. It's a rank rotten shame that pish refs at SFL level are almost a constant presence, and that it has not been reviewed at a higher level by the SFA. Most of the officiating in this country is utterly bloody revolting - is it the teaching of referees that's wrong or something?

Not :up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
A win would pretty much have us finish in front of you lot, and have us hunting QOS.

:up:

Partick 0-1 Dunfermline

The quoted post above is the reason why. As soon as I saw that, the 3 points were as good as gift-wrapped for the DA. Sorry, chimp.

Agree with Maxi: a fairly poor game, with another bellend referee. It's a rank rotten shame that pish refs at SFL level are almost a constant presence, and that it has not been reviewed at a higher level by the SFA. Most of the officiating in this country is utterly bloody revolting - is it the teaching of referees that's wrong or something?

i'm a qualified referee, and the reason I don't pursue it seriously is because of the attitude of the people who play. I've been threatened, swung at and get verbally abused during every single game (no exaggeration). Sometimes I make a wrong decision, but more often than not it's because I have made an unpopular, but correct, one. Remember, every single decision that the ref makes upsets half the people on the park, and their supporters. There is nothing wrong with the teaching of referees, believe me. The real problem is that loads of qualified refs are traumatised by the constant abuse and drop out of the game, meaning that ambitious but substandard refs get fast-tracked through the system, and simply aren't up to the required level. The result is weak refs who are afraid to make a correct but controversial decision. However, I would counter that the standard of lower-league officials is generally on a par with the level of football being played. Simply, the best officials, like the best players, will be found at the top level. Maxi, you're watching Montrose. Who do you expect, fucking Collina?!

As an aside, I feel duty bound to point out that the standard is not actually as poor as some people would have you believe. Most football fans have never read the laws of the game, and simply don't understand them. I go to matches regularly and am astonished by the abuse the officials get for making the correct decision. More often than not, it's the biased fans who are mistaken, and not the impartial referee. Mike McCurry, in particular, gets abused every single time he has the audacity to award a (normally correct) decision against the Dons at Pittodrie. All because he had a terrible game in 2002.

I realise how unpopular this post will make me, but fuck it! I'm standing up for McCurry! And refs in general! Someone has to.

Love from Christy

i'm a qualified referee, and the reason I don't pursue it seriously is because of the attitude of the people who play. I've been threatened, swung at and get verbally abused during every single game (no exaggeration). Sometimes I make a wrong decision, but more often than not it's because I have made an unpopular, but correct, one. Remember, every single decision that the ref makes upsets half the people on the park, and their supporters. There is nothing wrong with the teaching of referees, believe me. The real problem is that loads of qualified refs are traumatised by the constant abuse and drop out of the game, meaning that ambitious but substandard refs get fast-tracked through the system, and simply aren't up to the required level. The result is weak refs who are afraid to make a correct but controversial decision. However, I would counter that the standard of lower-league officials is generally on a par with the level of football being played. Simply, the best officials, like the best players, will be found at the top level. Maxi, you're watching Montrose. Who do you expect, fucking Collina?!

As an aside, I feel duty bound to point out that the standard is not actually as poor as some people would have you believe. Most football fans have never read the laws of the game, and simply don't understand them. I go to matches regularly and am astonished by the abuse the officials get for making the correct decision. More often than not, it's the biased fans who are mistaken, and not the impartial referee. Mike McCurry, in particular, gets abused every single time he has the audacity to award a (normally correct) decision against the Dons at Pittodrie. All because he had a terrible game in 2002.

I realise how unpopular this post will make me, but fuck it! I'm standing up for McCurry! And refs in general! Someone has to.

Love from Christy

natodutch.jpg

i'm a qualified referee, and the reason I don't pursue it seriously is because of the attitude of the people who play. I've been threatened, swung at and get verbally abused during every single game (no exaggeration). Sometimes I make a wrong decision, but more often than not it's because I have made an unpopular, but correct, one.

Love from Christy

I have witnessed and probably been part of this before with you. Parma Ham wouldn't be the same team if they didn't have a go at the referee during a game. Although is Brian at goals actually qualified? He seems somewhere else half the time!

I have witnessed and probably been part of this before with you. Parma Ham wouldn't be the same team if they didn't have a go at the referee during a game. Although is Brian at goals actually qualified? He seems somewhere else half the time!

Ha! Yeah, Brian is fully qualified, he referees amateur games as well as fives. He also used to play for Celtic in the Jock Stein days, and is probably the best player I've ever played with (even aged 54!). Poor football frustrates him - God knows why he referees, because most of the players giving him grief aren't fit to tie his laces.

Parma Ham are one of the better behaved teams at Goals, at least when I've handled their games. I'm away to start reffing just now, and chances are I'll get them and change my opinion! But I have to say, I have no problem with teams having a bit of a go at the ref - I do it too, when I play. Unfortunately, the line gets crossed rather too often at Goals. Here's another unpopular claim - as someone who both plays and refs at Goals, I can safely say that the standard of officials is far far higher than the standard of play!

Love from Christy

I realise how unpopular this post will make me, but fuck it!

It shouldn't, you put your point across very well. A family friend of mine was a ref back in the 1980's, and he always maintans that while you cop all of the abuse, you will always get the last laugh. I did think about sitting the course a while ago just to see how tricky it is, but I never found the time, alas.

The ref will always be prone to a mistake or two: it's just really annoying going to a game knowing that two or three rank calls against you can totally fuck up the game. I suppose this is meant to be part of the charm, though, haha.......

sorry christy, I see where you are coming from, I have a few pals who have ran the line/reffed at spl/1st division fixtures and the like and while they take a similar view to yourself they are also the first to point out that they are paid money to do this, and from what I am told they are paid reasonably well.

True, true. The money is certainly the only reason I do it - there's no other part-time job that pays that well that fits in with my lifestyle. But I don't subscribe to the idea that, because I get paid to be there, you can call me whatever you like. Again, there's a line, and when it becomes personal it's very hard to take. It's impossible to be a referee and not have thick skin, because every single decision is unpopular with half the people on the park. But referees are human too, despite how it sometimes seems. Today I sent off a 40-something, overweight man who repeated came up to my face, spittle flying, nothing but pure hatred in his eyes, calling me a 'fucking joke' and a 'fucking disgrace' for having the audacity to penalise him for kicking a teenage boy who did him like a kipper. I have laws of the game to abide by, unpopular though they sometimes make me. It's very rare that something that happens on the park upsets me, but this guy managed it. Despite what he obviously thought, it was he who ruined the game and not me.

Despite this, there's nothing better than having a good, free-flowing game with players who respect the decisions and play in the right spirit!

Love from Christy

Sorry about this and not trying to offend anyone but Mike MacCurry is a fucking joke, the Falkirk players took the piss out of him tonight, how it can't be noticed his total bias towards AFC is unbelivable! Don't get me wrong i realise i can be bias sitting in the south stand but there were too many times tonight i think he made the completly wrong decisions. Even ones against Aberdeen. Maybe ill have a clearer view when i watch the game highlights.

I would love to be a ref full time, it must be the only occupation where you can be totally incapable of doing a job yet you are never questioned on your compatance!!

Anyway, top six baby!! It wasn't pretty but we got there!!

Sorry about this and not trying to offend anyone but Mike MacCurry is a fucking joke, the Falkirk players took the piss out of him tonight, how it can't be noticed his total bias towards AFC is unbelivable! Don't get me wrong i realise i can be bias sitting in the south stand but there were to many times tonight i think he made the completly wrong decisions. Even ones against Aberdeen. Maybe ill have a clearer view when i watch the game highlights.

Am I misreading or are you suggesting that McCurry is pro-Aberdeen?

thought McCurry WAS terrible today. A few, but only a few, genuine fouls for both teams he missed, but how on earth he only presented one yellow card to a Falkirk player (and NOT for time-wasting) is beyond me. Surely one yellow to one of their numerous consistent time wasters would have brought an end to it. Also persistent fouls/bad tackles that i thought should have been worthy of a yellow.

I digress though. Not pretty at all, but canna complain really. Top 6 whilst not an achievment in itself, at least means we can avoid the embarrassment of closing out the season to absolute nobodys like St.Mirren, Falkirk, Gretna, ICT and Hearts.

Thought Maguire had an excellent first half, and although tired in the 2nd took his goal exceptionally well. Prepared to accept over the last fortnight that maybe he does have something and his previous problems were done to playing out of position and lack of confidence. Not quite ready to call the dury in yet though. JC's subs baffled me at the time, although (as is the case when we end up winning) i CAN see a method behind the madness, taking into account differing levels of fitness and performance throughout the game.

All in all, just glad to have made it, and the fixtures seem quite handy i think.

IF we get to the final...if someone had offered me this season before a ball had been kicked i would have bitten their hands off.

1-1 to send us through against Dnipro.

Through group stages with a 4-0 over Copenhagen.

2-2 with Bayern at Pittodrie.

League Cup Semi-Final.

Beating Celtic at Parkhead.

Scottish Cup (at least) Semi-Final - complete with first Hampden appearance in 8 years.

PLUS truly memorable, although unfruitful trips to Madrid and Munich for those of lucky enough to have gone (plus Ukraine and Athens for some also)

And top 6 consolidated in a dramatic fashion.

...nae bad nae bad.

the best is yet to come though!

Watching last nights game on TV was interesting. JC's changed made quite a lot of sense to me and I predicted them before they happened. MacNamara came off for Mackie mainly so Foster could drop back and put some pace in the left back position. De Vischerr came on so we could chase the game with 3 up front and 3 at the back, and it seems to have worked. Then Duff came on to protect the lead (made sense but surely Touzani was a safer bet).

With regards to Mockery I thought he had a decent game by his own standards when officiating us. Falkirks goal was offside (and there was 2 other times Finnigan was offside and it didn't get called) but also our goal could well have been crossed off for the ball going out of play. Despite seeing the replay over and over again last night I still can't make up my mind if it was in or not, great finish by Maguire though.

There was a few niggly little challenges, from both sides but the TV pictures didn't show a dirty game and I don't think it deserved a lot of bookings in it. So for once I'll let him off the hook, at the end of the day we got the result and that's all that matters.

Saw the highlights last night and thought it was easy to see that the ball didn't go out of play. Tight one like but a very good decision (or lack of decision) that could have easily gone the other way. It seems to be the consensus of opinion in the press too. More fool the Flakirk players for not playing to the whistle

Not the prettiest of games but job done...:up: