aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pish Pish game. Didn't help I decided to sit in the uncovered section of south stand and freeze my balls off but nonetheless very poor game. Mackie couldn't win any ball today and Mair was just horrendous as was Considine.

Why did Barry Nic get MOTM? Only thing I seen him do was have a poor first touch! Should've had Maguire up with Miller and with Barry Nic on wing and Josh Walker/Touzani in center.

At least Falkirk and Lithuania's finest drew level for us.

Thank goodness there is a Scotland game this week, to take my mind off Caley :down:

There's 8 of us heading down on a supporters bus from Aberdeen to (half full) Hampden, to watch the Scotland team (minus old firm call offs!) v. the Croats. Fully expect to get pumped by them, but it'll still be a fun day out. Shame i'll miss the Under 21 game, as I would've definitely went if it were on the Tues rather than Wed.

Anyone else notice our Under 17 national team won their elite group (3 wins out of 3), so qualify for the Euro U17 championship in Turkey? Engerland are playing their 3 qualification matches this week, live on Sky.

Wev've got some really good players e.g. Fleck and Cooper, who have a chance of going onto become great players, so hopefully the bbc pull their finger out and get the coverage of the championship, like the Under 20 World Cup last year.

So far the list of call off's reads as

Dailly (broken toe)

McGregor (unspecified)

McCulloch (thigh strain)

Ferguson (ankle ligaments)

Brown (unspecified)

Robson (unspecified)

Pearson (unspecified)

With Darren Fletcher and Steven Fletcher possibly out too, with illness and injury.

There must be an old firm game on or something ;)

Gavin Rae called up as a replacement, more to follow surely.

So far the list of call off's reads as

Dailly (broken toe)

McGregor (unspecified)

McCulloch (thigh strain)

Ferguson (ankle ligaments)

Brown (unspecified)

Robson (unspecified)

Pearson (unspecified)

With Darren Fletcher and Steven Fletcher possibly out too, with illness and injury.

There must be an old firm game on or something ;)

Gavin Rae called up as a replacement, more to follow surely.

wish it was life threatining, cunt

Tickets for the Huns replay get out this week. Didn't really fancy it, but because it's not on the telly, I'm going to have to brave the Sunday morning train journey from hell to Glasgow.

And then the even worse one back, arf......

Don't fancy watching us get horsed by the the Accies at NDP this weekend either, might just settle for throwing abuse at the Akabusi Loyal at LP!

:up:

Yas.

United return to winning ways after last weeks heartbreak.

Thank fuck. Was gutted on the drive home from Hampden last week, but after freezing both bollocks clean off at Tannadice on Saturday, I reckon we're back on track. 3rd place should really be ours for the taking. Hibs are shite by virtue of being Hibs and Motherwell are clearly in the middle of bottling it.

I wouldn't be so sure. Motherwell still have games in hand, don't they? And Hibs are hellishly inconsistent, but that works both ways. And you do realise the Dons are saving themselves for a late charge, don't you? Perhaps not. Anyway, should be an exciting run in.

I'd be happy enough to see both halves of the New Firm in Europe next eason, especially if we managed to horse the Huns in a Hampden final on the way. I'm sure Q o S will have summat to say about that though.

Ooh, touchy.

I'd take the New Firm over the Old Firm any day of the week.

The term "New Firm", aside from being a lazy invention of the media, implies that all that the rest of Scottish football can ever aspire to is to be like the Old Firm, which, to any Aberdeen fan, is just plain offensive.

I think that, without the chip on the shoulder, the term "New Firm" was coined when both United and Aberdeen were challenging the hegemony of the Old Firm in both domestic and European football.

It certainly doesn't mean that all clubs can aspire to is to be the Old Firm, simply to challenge their dominance. Which I'm pretty sure every United, Aberdeen or any other club's fan would love to see.

I think that, without the chip on the shoulder, the term "New Firm" was coined when both United and Aberdeen were challenging the hegemony of the Old Firm in both domestic and European football.

In spite of any chips on shoulders, I have a reasonable grasp of Scottish footballing history, thank you. What you're saying doesn't, to me, have any bearing on whether or not "New Firm" is a patronising term "thought" up by some second rate member of the Glasgow gutter press to try and make the rest of the league seem interesting to themselves and their kind.

It certainly doesn't mean that all clubs can aspire to is to be the Old Firm, simply to challenge their dominance. Which I'm pretty sure every United, Aberdeen or any other club's fan would love to see.

As stated, I disagree.

You can't say that Rangers and Celtic aren't in a league of their own compared to the rest of the SPL, or at least most of the time, even if like me, you are an Aberdeen fan. This season has been a bit more interesting than others, but still, Rangers and celtic are top of the league, no shock.

You can't say that Rangers and Celtic aren't in a league of their own compared to the rest of the SPL, or at least most of the time, even if like me, you are an Aberdeen fan. This season has been a bit more interesting than others, but still, Rangers and celtic are top of the league, no shock.

It's not like I can dispute that, is it? Anyway, for me the fact that they win trophies has nothing to do with why I would never, ever want to be associated with them.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

And from East End Park:

Dunfermli.............

Whoops whoops, we're experiencing some technical problems, we'll try again:

Dunferm..............

It's no good, we've lost contact completely...

:up:

I hate to be impolite, but fuck off.

I am similarly perturbed by the possibility of impoliteness, but while we're at it - fuck off yersel' you fucking fuck!

Arf.

Actually, point taken on the New Firm thing, although it was more of a lazy in-jokey type thing between myself (a Don) and Jon (one of those Jute things) than a thoughtless concession to the oft-cited ogre that is the West Coast media.

Talking of which, anyone see Graham Spiers' article in the Times arguing (once again) for the Old Firm relocation to the EPL? This time he's thrown in the idea that they could field Celtic and Rangers 'B' teams in the SPL after leaving. Now that really does deserve a big "fuck off".

In spite of any chips on shoulders, I have a reasonable grasp of Scottish footballing history, thank you. What you're saying doesn't, to me, have any bearing on whether or not "New Firm" is a patronising term "thought" up by some second rate member of the Glasgow gutter press to try and make the rest of the league seem interesting to themselves and their kind.

As stated, I disagree.

I'm sorry to harp on about this, but are you seriously saying that you don't want your team to aspire to toppling one or both of the Old Firm? That you actively support the ongoing domestic dominance of Rangers and Celtic? That it is some how bigotted to want your own team and others to aspire to be better than (or at least as good as) the Old Firm?

If you are, I think you're talking nonsense frankly.