aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

I'm sorry to harp on about this, but are you seriously saying that you don't want your team to aspire to toppling one or both of the Old Firm? That you actively support the ongoing domestic dominance of Rangers and Celtic? That it is some how bigotted to want your own team and others to aspire to be better than (or at least as good as) the Old Firm?

If you are, I think you're talking nonsense frankly.

It's more the fact that the term "New Firm" gives the impression that we are trying to meet the "standards" Rangers and Celtic have set, which is just insulting.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that insulting? No-one is suggesting that we should all start waving the red fist of Ulster/chanting IRA slogans, but as far as football is concerned, what on earth is insulting about aspiring to win Cups and League titles? Surely that's the very point?

I'm as disgusted as the next man with the Old Firm and what their supporters bring to Scottish football ("Rangers - The Quintissential British Team" was one of the charming banners at Hampden for the United game, surrounded by red hand flags), and you can ask Chris H among others about that, but what you are advocating has nothing to do with that. It's just the sullen acceptance of perpetual failure.

So, to reiterate, I would love to see United challenge Rangers and Celtic domestically. I think that anyone who doesn't think the same about their club is being daft, or at least cutting off their nose to spite their face.

It's also insulting to imply that United were of a similar standard to Aberdeen at the time :D

One title because we were busy winning the Cup Winner's Cup and a load of second places does not equal "United ... challenging the hegemony of the Old Firm in both domestic and European football". There was no New Firm, only Aberdeen.

Here's the ticket details for the Under 21 game at Pittodrie if anyone was planning on braving the weather.

Scotland Under 21's take on Finland in the UEFA European Under 21 Championships at Pittodrie on Wednesday 26 March, kick-off 5.30pm.

Tickets can be purchased in advance from Abderdeen FC's Ticket Office on 0871 983 1903 or by cash admission on the evening of the match.

Adults 5, Juvenile / Concessions 2

Why is that insulting? No-one is suggesting that we should all start waving the red fist of Ulster/chanting IRA slogans, but as far as football is concerned, what on earth is insulting about aspiring to win Cups and League titles? Surely that's the very point?

I'm as disgusted as the next man with the Old Firm and what their supporters bring to Scottish football ("Rangers - The Quintissential British Team" was one of the charming banners at Hampden for the United game, surrounded by red hand flags), and you can ask Chris H among others about that, but what you are advocating has nothing to do with that. It's just the sullen acceptance of perpetual failure.

So, to reiterate, I would love to see United challenge Rangers and Celtic domestically. I think that anyone who doesn't think the same about their club is being daft, or at least cutting off their nose to spite their face.

"Old Firm", to me, doesn't just mean "two traditionally successful clubs"; it means two clubs who, through their access to seemingly boundless bigoted and/or glory-hunting fanbases, most of whom should by rights be supporting other teams, have become so wealthy and consquently so dominant that they have the media and the SFA under their thumb. I'd rather have nothing to do with football than be part of that.

But yes, strangely enough, I'd like to see Aberdeen win some trophies. Unfortunately that has nothing whatsoever to do with the point I'm trying to make.

Ach well, after a couple of hours kip and another watch of the game on Sky +, i'm pretty satisfied with last night's performance. Good on Burley :up:

Gordon- safe hands in wet conditions, 2 good saves, unlucky at goal, but still poor at kicking.

Hutton- every game he seems to get better and better. My MOTM.

Caldwell- solid. One fantastic challenge. Some good distribution.

McManus- poor by his standards. Caught out once or twice and failed to clear lines.

Naysmith- didn't really notice any good or bad play, but had one shocking challenge. Not a fan of his at all.

Hartley- fantastic. Broke up play brilliantly and contributed well with some good passes.

D.Fletcher- did really well, especially as he's not 100%. Showed some nice touches and vision.

Brown- not his best game, but solid enough.

Maloney- poor. Terrible first touch, lost the ball too often. Some good deliveries at set pieces though.

S.Fletcher- good debut. Great pass for the goal and hopefully will get a chance up front in the campaign.

Miller- brilliant. I've never been his biggest fan, but he was incredible. Well taken goal and some fantastic linkup play throughout.

Subs

McEvely- I like him. Was excellent against South Africa, and if he can be consistent i'll be happy to have him as a first choice left back. He's got an excellent cross, likes to get forward and has a good physique for our defence and attack of set pieces.

Rae- showed up well. Good runs and challenges, didn't look out of place and handy to have as backup.

Boyd- not enough time to contribute, but looked dangerous.

Anderson- did nothing wrong. Hopefully an injury free run at Plymouth will benefit his form positively.

Teale- How does this guy get a game!?!? Hopefully Burley has seen first hand that he isn't up to International football. Terrible.

One or two things you didn't see on the tv....

1. A guy tried to get onto the pitch to protest the Tibet/China affair, but was collered by police before he made it out there with his flag
  2. 2. Bilic slipping on his arse in the 88th minute and getting a big mucky stain down his nice suit.
  3. I think the guy who sang the anthem had a guitar slung over his shoulder, that he didn't play. What a strange choice of singer, give me Ronnie Brown any day!!

Unimpressed by the U21's last night.

I'm sure Gary Kenneth will develop to become Darren Dods, but he still looks shaky.

Reynolds looked very lightweight and, together with Kenneth, horribly indecisive on a couple of occasions (I know, youung players, don't play together often etc.)

Scott Cuthbert is not a good football player and I don't think he ever will be. Positionally poor, technically challenged.

The midfield 3 clearly suffered from lack of knowledge of how to play the system they were asked to, which is fair enough.

McCormack really didn't show up well, never has when I've seen him. Firstly, he looks overweight. Secondly, and yes I know he's still young, he makes shocking decisions. The amount of times he'd go racing off todive into a challenge and leave their full back standing all alone with a huge space to step into. His movement wasn't good/didn't really exist either, too much time spent standing on the full back when Scotland were in possession. Good vision and execution to set up the goal though.

And Naismith is just a wee Hun prick, very much in the Nacho Novo mould of dirty little fucker. His booking was just sheer stupidity.

Scotland's 4-3-3 looked a really poor choice as well. Because the boy in the middle was too lightweight to hold the ball up, all the focus was on hoofing the ball at the Finnish full backs in the hope that they would make a mistake and let Naismith or McCormack in.

In summary - Scotland poor, Finns nae great, Naismith wanker.

Unimpressed by the U21's last night.

I'm sure Gary Kenneth will develop to become Darren Dods, but he still looks shaky.

Reynolds looked very lightweight and, together with Kenneth, horribly indecisive on a couple of occasions (I know, youung players, don't play together often etc.)

Scott Cuthbert is not a good football player and I don't think he ever will be. Positionally poor, technically challenged.

The midfield 3 clearly suffered from lack of knowledge of how to play the system they were asked to, which is fair enough.

McCormack really didn't show up well, never has when I've seen him. Firstly, he looks overweight. Secondly, and yes I know he's still young, he makes shocking decisions. The amount of times he'd go racing off todive into a challenge and leave their full back standing all alone with a huge space to step into. His movement wasn't good/didn't really exist either, too much time spent standing on the full back when Scotland were in possession. Good vision and execution to set up the goal though.

And Naismith is just a wee Hun prick, very much in the Nacho Novo mould of dirty little fucker. His booking was just sheer stupidity.

Scotland's 4-3-3 looked a really poor choice as well. Because the boy in the middle was too lightweight to hold the ball up, all the focus was on hoofing the ball at the Finnish full backs in the hope that they would make a mistake and let Naismith or McCormack in.

In summary - Scotland poor, Finns nae great, Naismith wanker.

It certainly wasn't a great game and it was fucking freezing! The goals were well worked though but the defence fell to pieces for the Finnish goal, both of them ran in the opposite bloody direction. Should've had a pen just before the goal though.

It was a fair outcome though, Scotland definitely had the edge on the night.

It certainly wasn't a great game and it was fucking freezing! The goals were well worked though but the defence fell to pieces for the Finnish goal, both of them ran in the opposite bloody direction. Should've had a pen just before the goal though.

From memory, their goal came from neither Wallace nor whichever centre back was there going out to close the ball down? All it needed ws one to push out and one to tuck in behind. The mark of a team that doesn't meet up too often I suppose.

From memory, their goal came from neither Wallace nor whichever centre back was there going out to close the ball down? All it needed ws one to push out and one to tuck in behind. The mark of a team that doesn't meet up too often I suppose.

Nah, MacDonald (10) held back and Kenneth and the other lad (6), who's name escapes me, parted like the red sea through total miscommunication and Hammelainen (sp) popped in between the two.