aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I've started to read Catch 22 at work.

My favourite novel. It's fantastic, every page is hilarious. :up:

Finally finished Hemingway's 'For Whom the Bell Tolls', nice grim read for a sunny day....

Another one of my faves, awesome book. The part where Pilar tells the story of Pablo's army taking revenge on the fascist supporters they captured in a town, where they get called out of the church one by one to walk through the two lines of people, is absolutely awesome writing.

I've gone through a bit of a lean reading spell of late, partially due to becomming obsessed with the wire. However I did just start "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein yesterday.

More grim reading

I'm working my way through my Clifford D Simak backlog, a bargain job lot from e-bay, a bit formulaic but pleasing. I'd thoroughly recommend "way station"- its class. Pastoral, gentle, intelligent sci-fi...great for bedtime reading..

Apart from that I'm halfway through Will self's Liver and looking forward to The Butt....allready I've had to raid the dictionary at 12.30 am just to see what the fuck he was talking about.

flat earth news next i reckon.............

I'm just about to read 'Complicity' by Ian Banks. I've been reading more Scottish stuff recently, Irvine Welsh, Ian Rankin... even some Norman MacCaig poetry. How patriotic.

If you've not hit his tomes before I'd well reccomend James Kelman- Kinda like Irvine Welsh and Bank's cooler more authentic pissed uncle down the pub. His stuff is dense, hard to get into and odd- but its worth it. Last one i read was "land of the free"- or something similar, he really captures classic working class paranoia and inferiority. oops, perhaps that says more about me than him.

his stuff is the nuts though, and you feel like its the real deal..i enjoy banks ( partic the bridge= masterwork) and welsh ( maribou storks= masterwork, for the same reasons as the bridge, hee..he) but he's the boss.

If you've not hit his tomes before I'd well reccomend James Kelman- Kinda like Irvine Welsh and Bank's cooler more authentic pissed uncle down the pub. His stuff is dense, hard to get into and odd- but its worth it. Last one i read was "land of the free"- or something similar, he really captures classic working class paranoia and inferiority. oops, perhaps that says more about me than him.

his stuff is the nuts though, and you feel like its the real deal..i enjoy banks ( partic the bridge= masterwork) and welsh ( maribou storks= masterwork, for the same reasons as the bridge, hee..he) but he's the boss.

Funnily enough, i've read some James Kelman. A couple of short stories, "Nice To Be Nice" and another one, I think it was called "The Cards", I quite liked them. Good shout!

• 2 weeks later...
Wonderful book, very clever and very funny.

True. Last time I read it, I hadn't read Moab Is My Washpot, so it was interesting in that way this time round.

I'm re-reading The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi. I don't know why I'm re-reading books and not reading new ones... I'm gonna buy Submarine by Joe Dunthorne soon though.

I love HMV for having cheap books. I got A Million Little Pieces by James Fray the other day for 4 or something. Not a bad book, it did seem a wee bit fantasical for a memoir, but then I've never been in rehab so what do I know?

I think I shall keep to the theme of excess and re-read Fear and Loathing and Naked Lunch next.