the first few Oasis albums

Joni Mitchell - whatever one 'The Circle Game' is on

Annie Lennox

James Taylor

George Michael

Paul Simon - Graceland

Chris Rea

John Martyn

...until the age of 11 or something. Then came shit music until age 16, then not too bad.

Guest Ancient Mariner
REM -Automatic for the People

Daryll Hall and John Oates - Looking Back

the first few Oasis albums

Joni Mitchell - whatever one 'The Circle Game' is on

Annie Lennox

James Taylor

George Michael

Paul Simon - Graceland

Chris Rea

John Martyn

yay

boo

yay

boo

yay

boo

yay

boo

yay

boo

An extraordinary pattern!

My folks listened to stuff like Jim Reeves (who I still quite like), Johnny Cash (heresy I know, but I've never been much of a fan), and the Sound of Music soundtrack (no comment!). When my big sister left home I fell heir to her singles collection, and spent my early teens listening to 7"s such as,,,,

the Who "My Generation"

the Stones "Satisfaction" (I preferred the B side, "Spider & the Fly")

the Beatles "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields"

the Kinks "All day & all of the night"

the Pretty Things "Don't bring me down"

When I finally started buying albums it was these, initially...

Melanie "Candles in the rain"

Pink Floyd "Atom Heart Mother"

the Strawbs "Antiques and Curios"

Easy Rider soundtrack

"Picnic" compilation

and Zeppelin, Kevin Ayers, Jethro Tull, Fairport Convention etc etc

Depends what you mean by young...in order from about 10 to 18

Queen - Greatest Hits 1

Nirvana - Nevermind/In Utero

Radiohead - Ok Computer

Metallica - Black Album

Alice In Chains - Dirt

Pearl Jam - Ten

I was also prime target for nu-metal. Limpbizkit, Linkin Park and others...though none of those I really connected with...it's all about the Seattle CDs I tells ya!

I'm not sure about exact albums, but I could give a rough chronological sketch of my musical youth (not Musical Youth, that's something different).

My earliest recollections are of my dad blasting AC/DC when in alone or my mum blasting Dr.Hook when in alone. To appease each other in the car, I tend to remember some Deacon Blue or possibly the Commitments soundtrack. I kind of forsook (what?) music myself. I missed the dance and grunge revoloutions but I kind of enjoyed G&R and Faith No More. I remember getting the odd smack round the back of the head for singing every word.

There was a couple of years of drought until I got into the more commercial side of industrial-metal aged fifteen and despite unfortunate flirtations with koRn and Marilyn Manson (who wasn't that bad back then really) Fear Factory, Ministry and Nine Inch Nails still hold a place in my heart.

Que dodgy pop-punk mode which brought stuff I could get on the dance floor too and some good music (mid-nineties Green Day) and New Found Glory. Listening to more punk based music opened me up to hardcore which brought me into the realm of The Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Fugazi et al

Thursday's Full Collapse blew my mind on release, even though I tired of it fairly quickly but it made me quest for the music that influenced the band's I liked which has led me over the past around three years to the most fufllling musical love affair yet: the joy of discovery. This has opened up the mainstream to me (The Cure, New Order), the off-beat (Pavement, XTC) and the kind of obscure (Life Without Buildings, The Dresden Dolls).

Somewhere along the line I realised 'Rapper's Delight' was teh best song ever recorded.

the doobie brothers' date=' now that was a band and a half, fantastic.[/quote']

I had a phaze of listening to a lot of the west coast American stuff and got into Steely Dan and Little Feet in a big way....I even listened to the Eagles cos the wife liked them... :help:

Age: old enough to remember, but only just, sitting in the back seat being short enough that the seatbelt took a direct route across mon visage:

Simon and Garfunkel - Greatest Hits (I thought the Boxer was about 'Five-a-live!')

The Beatles - The Red Album

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Blondie - dunno which album

The Corries - fuck knows, I just know that there were braes at Killiecrankie-o.

Most of which I then neglected during my voyage through Aaron Carter, 911, A1, Travis, System of a Down, the Grim Northern Social and Genesis. :music:

I had a phaze of listening to a lot of the west coast American stuff and got into Steely Dan and Little Feet in a big way....I even listened to the Eagles cos the wife liked them... :help:

that's Little FEAT Graeme... ;)

They were ace, fat man in the bathtub and all that! My dad has all their all their records so I guess I grew up on them, along with led zep, queen and clapton etc.

Other than the obvious love for Michael Jackson when I was around 5 (now it's the other way round) - the most influential 2 albums for me are:

GUNS 'N' ROSES - Use Your Illusion II

IRON MAIDEN - Killers

but also the following played a big part of my early musical appreciation:

BON JOVI - Slippery When Wet

BLACK SABBATH - Headless Cross

NIRVANA - Incesticide

METALLICA - Kill 'Em All

PANTERA - Far Beyond Driven