aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/sport/football/aberdeen-1-1-celtic-dons-peg-back-a-jaded-celtic-1-2152873

Shaki and I are both in the picture at the top of the article. Myself coming out of the top right of Anthony Stokes' head and Shaki directly to my left.

You look cold.

I was down near the front of the lower RDS and got absolutely soaked first half. Grim.

You look cold.

I was down near the front of the lower RDS and got absolutely soaked first half. Grim.

I was on the chilly side, but I had, on my upper half: a thermal layer, a t-shirt, a wooly jumper, a hoody and an aberdeen top; and on my lower half: thermals, jeans, kilt socks and walking boots. I don't like to get cold. I really enjoyed the game.

After the Robin Reliant joke here is another one I enjoyed. 'The Arsenal store has a new best-seller, the Robin van Persie tea tray. Guaranteed to carry 10 mugs'. If he stays fit (which has done remarkably well given his injury record in previous years) I think Arsenal will hold off Chelsea for 4th. Can't see Di Matteo turning the clubs fortunes around that quickly..... unless they suddenly pull 2 decent centre backs from the youth team! The only player who has looked in form (from what I have seen in recent months, which is the odd match) is Juan Mata. If one of their strikers and Essien get back to form, it will be a close call. Essien's presence really has been missed.

With RVP, it's funny how injury-prone players seem to be able to stay fit when they are really needed. Rio Ferdinand is the same, he's been in and out of the starting line up for the past 3 or 4 years with niggling injuries, but now he's been playing back to back games for most of the season. Even Saha is playing all the time now too. Play through the pain!

Could be all change for the start of next season in the EPL, new man in at Chelsea, probably new man in at Spurs and possibly new man in at Arsenal. Alex McLeish is on a very shoogly peg as well. I've got a couple of mates in Birmingham who support Villa, there seems to be a a very big "McLeish out" campaign, the fans hate him.

I was on the chilly side, but I had, on my upper half: a thermal layer, a t-shirt, a wooly jumper, a hoody and an aberdeen top; and on my lower half: thermals, jeans, kilt socks and walking boots. I don't like to get cold. I really enjoyed the game.

Second half was fantastic! Not seen the Dons boss Celtic like that in a long time.

The EE have Fallon as TopDon for Saturday!?! Even from a "made space for team-mates" perspective, I cannot see that at all!! I know it's just the EE, but i honestly think he was by far our worst player on Saturday. He has no grasp of anything football-like, what-so-ever. Surely Considine, Vernon, Rae were much better! They were.

Indeed, no idea why he was selected by Charlie Allan. He wins the ball in the air, that's pretty much it.

More often than not his knock-ons go to the opposition, his control and passing are about as bad as Mackies and he has no pace at all (even I'm faster...scary).

Rae and Vernon were the pick of our players.

Shite atmosphere again too on Saturday, which is a shame. No-one seems bothered at all these days.

Yeah Rae was def our best player on sat, good to see he still has the legs in him despite being 34, why didnt we get him at the start of the season! Fallon puts himself about but i dont rate him much, but saying that, we create so few chances in any game that its hard to judge him as a striker overall, he was inches from getting on the end of that Jack cross in the second half, shame. Dons were good tho, we showed good fight in the second half, we just need a bit of pace about us, we dont break quick enough from defence i think, and we need Vernon in the box doing what he does best rather than trying to set up Fallon. At least we are now a hard team to beat, that is a great starting point, hopefully Broon gets a couple of more flamboyant players in the summer and we can push on a bit.

Guest Gladstone

I was at the game on Saturday and Fallon was pretty pish. He wasn't winning anything in the air - Rogne beat him to every ball. I've never seen Fallon playing before so can't judge him on other performances but someone up above said he fair puts himself about. He definitely wasn't doing that on Saturday - he looked like he couldn't be arsed trying. I've seen Vernon a handful of times and couldn't understand why he wasn't playing through the middle as he's far better than Fallon looked. The Dons made Celtic look very average on Saturday to be fair - I don't think there were enough chances either way to say one team deserved the win - draw was probably about right. If Mulgrew's free kick had gone in early on instead of hitting the post, Celtic might have played a bit better with some more confidence, but Aberdeen defended really well and kept Celtic out of the box for most of the game. Fuck all in the final third though really apart from the goal that I can remember - and that was going wide!!

I didn't see the Stokes incident because I looked away for a moment (very Wenger like of me I know...) and it isn't on the BBC highlights - did anyone see it properly? The crowd round about me were going mental shouting for a red card, but my Aberdeen supporting brother thought he dived in but didn't make any contact. I don't think the ref saw it actually, which meant it was weird he gave a free kick. Cheeky bastards with the drop ball though - making out they were going to play it back and then just playing on...

The Malwennie incident looked like a ridiculous challenge as well - two-footed, studs up, straight legs... I was quite surprised the ref didn't pull out a red for that one actually. That also isn't on the BBC highlights which are clearly quite shit.

I didn't see the Stokes incident because I looked away for a moment (very Wenger like of me I know...) and it isn't on the BBC highlights - did anyone see it properly? The crowd round about me were going mental shouting for a red card, but my Aberdeen supporting brother thought he dived in but didn't make any contact. I don't think the ref saw it actually, which meant it was weird he gave a free kick. Cheeky bastards with the drop ball though - making out they were going to play it back and then just playing on...

On the radio the commentators said Stokes was so late after the ball had been played that the ref and linesmen were no longer looking anywhere near Jack so he wouldn't have seen the challenge. As for the drop ball Aberdeen were in possession when play stopped (going on the radio commentary), that's why they didn't give the ball to Celtic.