aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17215880

Liverpool player in race row. This stuffs getting old already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17215698

Pearce doesn't want England job full time. After last night I think they should give it to him for the Euros though. It was amazing to see England actually play fluid passing football and look dangerous at times. Still crap at the back but when was that not the case? May as well go out in style trying younger players who are the future than the old dinosaurs who lose in predictably dull way. Scott Parker played like a captain yesterday, made several key challenges and put his body in the way of everything. He should definitely get the armband. Leads by example both in his play and behaviour.

Really I thought Parker played very average last night. He was out shone by a De Jong who doesnt get many games for Citeh and Van Basten who was mighty and is like 40.

Gerrard was terrible and helped England when he went off sadly they made a sub that forced Adam Johnson to go on the left where he doesn't like being and he did his trademark Houdini act. At that point it would have been much more useful to have an Ox or someone to really run at Boulahrouz and give him a proper scare.

Also thought that while Baines had a good game he showed why he still should be behind Cashley is selection order. Cashley would have run and run at that right back and given him a proper torrid time. Baines looked so ponderous. The only thing Baines has over Cashley is his dead ball play and that doesn't matter for England as there are so many players that can take those.

Managed to find a stream of the Scotland game last night, we looked okay, good at keeping the ball, practically nothing going forward. Can someone explain why Mackil-Smith was playing? I can only think of 1 or 2 moments when he touched the ball, why the hell was Goodwillie on the bench, surely these friendlies are a chance to give these guys a game? Mackil-Smith is a very poor man's Kenny Millar, i worry if he is going to be leading our line come the world cup campain.

On the plus side i also watched the under 21's game, there is hope out there, we have a few very good looking young guys coming through Cairney from Hull looks a player, as does that kid that moved to West Brom, Allen. Jack had a great game at right back, and Perry and Wilson looked pretty solid through the centre of defense.

I like Parker alot, but I didn't like the way he played last night. He was constantly charging at the England ball carrier, standing about two yards away from them and demanding the ball, only to pass it sideways to another centre back, then doing the same again. So many times Young and Johnson were in acres of space out wide, but it just kept getting knocked around in England's own half. Being captain doesn't mean you always have to have the ball, and everything has to go through you. Give the ball to a player who can run at them a little, like Johnson, Young, Richards, whoever. As Captain America said, Van Bommel and De Jong were much more effective than Barry and Parker. At least they can actually run forwards with the ball without any fear, and both are better at breaking up play. England would be better if Owen Hargreaves' knees weren't made of glass.

I was kind of glad Holland scored the winner. No way did England deserve a draw from that, and avoiding defeat from a good side would have papered over alot of cracks. Shame for Huntelaar and Smalling however. Looked like a bad one for both. Brave lads.

I didn't understand Jones coming on to play RB, and pushing Richards to CB. Both are better at each others swapped positions.

I like Parker alot, but I didn't like the way he played last night. He was constantly charging at the England ball carrier, standing about two yards away from them and demanding the ball, only to pass it sideways to another centre back, then doing the same again. So many times Young and Johnson were in acres of space out wide, but it just kept getting knocked around in England's own half. Being captain doesn't mean you always have to have the ball, and everything has to go through you. Give the ball to a player who can run at them a little, like Johnson, Young, Richards, whoever. As Captain America said, Van Bommel and De Jong were much more effective than Barry and Parker. At least they can actually run forwards with the ball without any fear, and both are better at breaking up play. England would be better if Owen Hargreaves' knees weren't made of glass.

I was kind of glad Holland scored the winner. No way did England deserve a draw from that, and avoiding defeat from a good side would have papered over alot of cracks. Shame for Huntelaar and Smalling however. Looked like a bad one for both. Brave lads.

I didn't understand Jones coming on to play RB, and pushing Richards to CB. Both are better at each others swapped positions.

To be honest I only watched the first half properly. Masterchef was on at 9pm so watched that and looked at my laptop screen whenever the commentators got excited. He looked fairly tidy in the first half at least, but maybe that was because Barry does the holding play better than Parker does. Parker is not a holding player, he's not good enough at reading play or breaking it up. He is actually a good passer and finisher though when he attempts it. Scored some crackers for West Ham last season. my favourite was the toe poke into the corner from the edge of the box, it was a majestic piece of control. He was at least committed to the cause which has been lacking in some recent performances I have seen from England players. Got a right good smashing from De Jong for ihs troubles if I remember correctly.

Cahill is actually a pretty good striker of a ball. He scored two goals for Bolton this season that were both quality finishes. (I can't find the goal he scored against Everton but sure it was a good strike) The one on the opening day of this season was the best. Remember the bicycle kick for Villa as well? Cahill and Luiz are probably the most talented footballing centre backs in the league, pity they are both lacking defensively!

[

Huntelaar deserves a crack at a good EPL side. Like Spurs when they don't get to keep Adebayor. He's absolutely devastating inside the box he's a total Van Nistelrooy type. Having a great season this year and he's only not got another chance at a big club after he 'failed' at Real. 8 goals in 20 games is hardly a massive failure in one season, injury played a part. 30 goals in 50 games for Holland as well not all against diddy teams.

• Upvote 1

Huntelaar is a frustrating player. He's got all the right traits, but he disappears alot. Had excellent patches of form at Real, followed by going missing for ages. He looked very ineffective for Milan too, but perhaps the Bundesliga suits him. That said, the Bundesliga is often compared to the Premier League in terms of pace and style, so maybe he'd do well if he had a go at the Premier League. His movement is quality, and he's great at bundling difficult crosses into the net somehow. Great poacher but also a great striker of the ball. He's got a weird face though. That might be a deal breaker. It's probably why Tevez will never settle. Weird face. It's definitely why Jay Spearing will never be a good footballer, and also because he's not a good footballer, but mostly the weird face. The polar opposite is the reason why Phil Jones is brilliant. Because he has a brilliant face.

You doubting me? I don't know much about football stats, rules, players or history, but I know a weird face when I see one, and his is proper weird. Constantly looks like he can smell something, and he's not sure whether he likes the smell or not.

lololololol

I think there are weirder Bundesliga faces. Ribery's face is bonkers but he does a job.

Ribery is practically the Elephant Man. Robben also looks 15 years older than he is. The Hairline Reaper has been cruel to his bonce. He's still devilishly handsome, mind. He's just got a bit of shine-o-ball-o going on. His celebration for that volley against Man United is still the best celebration. He's on the phone, but the phone is hot, and he burns his hands. Seriously no idea what he's doing.

Pretty shocked Wednesday axed Gary Mourinho. I hated him at first, but then I started to like him, and he's done good this season. 3rd in the league against all the odds (because the squad is pure garbage), and he did a number over the Blunts at the weekend. Charlton are running away with it, and the mutants were favourites for promotion, so 3rd is pretty good. Apparently there was a "bust up" but that's always the rumour isn't it. I hope they get McCarthy in. He's from South Yorkshire anyway, so why not manage the best team in SoYo that isn't Doncaster? G'waaan.

Ribery is practically the Elephant Man. Robben also looks 15 years older than he is. The Hairline Reaper has been cruel to his bonce. He's still devilishly handsome, mind. He's just got a bit of shine-o-ball-o going on. His celebration for that volley against Man United is still the best celebration. He's on the phone, but the phone is hot, and he burns his hands. Seriously no idea what he's doing.

It was totally worth missing the Shutterspeed gig to watch that celebration as it happened on TV. No question.

It's almost as good as Zenden trying to be as good of a dancer as Gyan.

I think my favourite ever celebration was when Drogba scored and went over the corner flag and started strumming it like a guitar, and then Florent Malouda runs over and starts playing air drums. Wonderful. I think it was the last game of the season which won them the league by a point.

It's almost as good as Zenden trying to be as good of a dancer as Gyan.

I think my favourite ever celebration was when Drogba scored and went over the corner flag and started strumming it like a guitar, and then Florent Malouda runs over and starts playing air drums. Wonderful. I think it was the last game of the season which won them the league by a point.