aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Did anyone catch the documentary about QPR last night? Just watching the second half of it at the moment. Quite enjoyable to say the least and certainly a bit of an eye opener.

Did anyone else catch this? Give it a go here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d7kd7/QPR_The_Four_Year_Plan/

As Camie already said, it's seriously eye opening. Very few people come across well, apart from Amit Bhatia; who comes across as highly intelligent and well balanced as a businessman and as a human being. Neil Warnock is also represented quite well.

It's a really good watch.

Did anyone else catch this? Give it a go here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d7kd7/QPR_The_Four_Year_Plan/

As Camie already said, it's seriously eye opening. Very few people come across well, apart from Amit Bhatia; who comes across as highly intelligent and well balanced as a businessman and as a human being. Neil Warnock is also represented quite well.

It's a really good watch.

It is. You always hear about managers being undermined by maniacal chairmen, but I didn't realise how grim it is until I saw the doc. Really makes you wonder how many chairmen are doing the exact same things that Briatore was doing.

That said, I found Briatore's unbreakable faith in Gavin Mahon quite endearing.

"The manager has to bring Mahon on now."

*Mahon comes on, scores goal*

"You see! Gavin Mahon!"

Ace. If anything, the documentary will make you feel immensely sorry for Jim Magilton, Iain Dowie and Paulo Sousa, especially Sousa who was fucked in the worst way by his board.

I thought Scotland only had 1 Champions League spot for next season anyway on account of having rubbish teams.

From next year we will have one.

As far as I recall (I'm sure someone will call me on this if it's wrong), this year the SPL has the following:-

1st. Champs League

2nd. Champs League

3rd. Europa League

4th. Europa League

Scottish Cup Winners - Europa League (however, if winners 'make' Europe through league placing then runners up get the spot, if runners up 'make' Europe through league placing, then 5th place in the league gets this spot)

So, providing the Scottish Cup finalists both qualify for Europe anyway through their league placing and it is indeed the case that Rangers fail to meet the UEFA deadline, then all top six teams (with the exception of Rangers) will enter European competition next season.

So Rangers going out of business would at least benefit some teams in the short term. Hopefully some of the younger players on their books that are let go will stay in Scotland as well.

Gotta say, Wylde is being pretty honourable here, apparently rejecting Celtic. However I think he'll consider himself too god to stay at a club in Scotland unless he heads to Hearts (or, god forbid, Motherwell to get some Euro League!)

Gotta say, Wylde is being pretty honourable here, apparently rejecting Celtic. However I think he'll consider himself too god to stay at a club in Scotland unless he heads to Hearts (or, god forbid, Motherwell to get some Euro League!)

Should come to United if he wants Euro League attempted qualification. We have no monies for him though. He can have Garry Kenneths money.

As much as I despise Rangers Football Club, I sincerely hope they find a way out of this mess. IMO, Scottish football will be in a terrible, terrible state if they dissolve and Celtic remain.

Good on Wydle and that other lad to cancel their contracts. They're both young players who shouldn't have much trouble finding a new club, and their salaries should help the club retain some of its more modestly-paid employees (the oft-mentioned tea lady, groundsmen, etc.). I've no idea how they're gonna be able to cull enough players and still have a big enough squad to finish the season though.

As much as I despise Rangers Football Club, I sincerely hope they find a way out of this mess. IMO, Scottish football will be in a terrible, terrible state if they dissolve and Celtic remain.

Good on Wydle and that other lad to cancel their contracts. They're both young players who shouldn't have much trouble finding a new club, and their salaries should help the club retain some of its more modestly-paid employees (the oft-mentioned tea lady, groundsmen, etc.). I've no idea how they're gonna be able to cull enough players and still have a big enough squad to finish the season though.

They just need to play the U19s. Honestly, I can't see why there's such a fucking-around here. Get rid of their top earners. The league is lost, they've not got a Euro place to play for any more. Play the kids! They may end up finishing 5th or whatever, but that's no biggie if it's that vs going out of business surely?

I honestly do hope they go down the tubes. Every time I say that people are like "no, you don't" but I would be happy to see the back of them. Football in this country is a popular sport and I think it's more resiliant than people give it credit for. Rangers, despite being the most succesful club in Scotland for the last 25 years, to me are the embodiment of everything that's wrong with the sport in this country and I believe that because of their seriously questionable business practices and the stranglehold they have on press and on the people running the game, once the period of readjustment gets under way, we'll all be better off when they're gone.

Everyone always raises the 'tea lady and kit man' argument and I fully agree that it's a shame that the people who were not responsible for the mess will lose their jobs, but that's business. When big companies like RBS nearly went down the tubes, nobody was talking about the cleaning and catering staff and the people who work in the branches who were miles removed from the mistakes that nearly sunk the business. It was all 'arsehole bankers, they should have let the company sink'. When a company fails, everyone associated loses out.

• Upvote 2

I honestly do hope they go down the tubes. Every time I say that people are like "no, you don't" but I would be happy to see the back of them. Football in this country is a popular sport and I think it's more resiliant than people give it credit for. Rangers, despite being the most succesful club in Scotland for the last 25 years, to me are the embodiment of everything that's wrong with the sport in this country and I believe that because of their seriously questionable business practices and the stranglehold they have on press and on the people running the game, once the period of readjustment gets under way, we'll all be better off when they're gone.

Everyone always raises the 'tea lady and kit man' argument and I fully agree that it's a shame that the people who were not responsible for the mess will lose their jobs, but that's business. When big companies like RBS nearly went down the tubes, nobody was talking about the cleaning and catering staff and the people who work in the branches who were miles removed from the mistakes that nearly sunk the business. It was all 'arsehole bankers, they should have let the company sink'. When a company fails, everyone associated loses out.

I agree to a certain extent and I bloody loathe Rangers too. Unfortunately, we have television deals with Sky and ESPN that are heavily-reliant on getting four or more Old Firm derbies a season. I don't have the viewing figures at hand, but I believe they're minuscule for games out-with the derby. Take that fixture away and bang goes the TV deal, along with a huge revenue source for SPL teams. Celtic's income will suffer as well, but they have a massive supporter base and a huge stadium that'll minimise any ill effects. I think that the league will essentially become a one-horse race, which'll make it even more soul-destroying than ever before.

Getting rid of both of them could be a completely different story though.

I dont remember anyone from Rangers worrying about the rest of Scotland when they wanted to leave for England, why should we now all fall over ourselves for them?

I personally hope they go bust, not because i hate Rangers or anything, but because they have broken the rules in a massive way, they should be punished. Yes its harsh that people will lose their jobs, but i dont sympathise with the big earners, its the people in the kitchens, admin staff, cleaners and folk like that that will suffer. 90% of the players will find new clubs in a matter of weeks, so i dont really care if they get laid off.

Wylde will go down south, and lets not get carried away with him being commendable, he left Celtic for Rangers years ago because he felt he had more chances to play first team football in the long run. He is just smart enough to know that walking away from Rangers to re-sign for Celtic would make his life a misery in Glasgow. Best to get our the fishbowl when you get the chance.

• Upvote 1

The TV money is my first concern, certainly, but there was a big hooha when the Setanta money went and that didn't signal the end. I totally appreciate that the major draw for a TV provider is the old firm games, but they're going to be pretty uncompetitive anyway, the way things are going.

Yeah thats another good point, im sure Sky wont be clambering over themselves to pay for 4 completely one sided games each year, even if they are old firm games, what makes them good is its the only real competition each team faces a season, so they are tense games for the best part, take away Rangers team and replace them with kids and you may as well be watching any of the other teams up here.

I think I'm torn. I hate Rangers. I hate what they've done, I hate them as people, and for all they stand for. But what I hate them for most is the bollocking mess they're going to leave the rest of the league in. Take out Rangers and you have Celtic and some padding. Honestly, F1 is criticised for Vettel always winning and that's fucking boring, so imagine having Celtic winning everything? Would there even be a point in competing?

Interesting stat from last nights football, Barca are currently 20 points ahead of 4th in the league, the team 4th in the league is only 19 points ahead of the bottom team.........I think Spanish football in a competitive sense is in dire straits. Almost worse that we are.

The thing is, will Celtic be able to have as strong a squad without Rangers? Lets be fair, they get decent players because they pay more and because players want to be involved in the old firm derbies. Take either one of them away and players wont be as quick to come up here. I think personally anyway.

Rangers won the league 9 times in a row at one point. Nobody outside the old firm has won the league in the last 26 years. Ours is not a league famed for a high level of competition!

And Rangers being taken out of the SPL, while I would love to see that, will certainly not improve that record.

The thing is, will Celtic be able to have as strong a squad without Rangers? Lets be fair, they get decent players because they pay more and because players want to be involved in the old firm derbies. Take either one of them away and players wont be as quick to come up here. I think personally anyway.

That's very true. Without Rangers we have two scenarios:

1. Celtic powerhose everyone out of contention since they are so massive
  2. Celtic become about as money-soaked as Hearts and the whole league becomes simultaneously very competitive and very shit. Just like Ireland's top league.

Rangers won the league 9 times in a row at one point. Nobody outside the old firm has won the league in the last 26 years. Ours is not a league famed for a high level of competition!

The whole league is set up for domination by the old firm. The TV deal is pretty much all for them. The voting structure is a joke too.

Something needs to change, Rangers plight gives us that chance.

Fuck em I say.... what difference does it make if our shit football isn't on tv?Might encourage people to get off their lazy asses and get along to the game.

Will also encourage clubs to concentrate on young talent.

The old firm have completely ruined Scottish football and strangled it to death.

The English league will collapse soon enough too, too much unsustainable debt. Football in general is in a sorry state.

• Upvote 5