aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Question. How do all y'all keep on top of usernames and passwords these days, in this 21st century paperless world? I have about 20 online accounts for a range of different things. Bank account, savings account, credit cards, energy supplier, Paypal, email addresses, Netflix etc etc. Then another 5 or 6 for applications at work. It's a stupid amount. I nearly always have to reset my password when logging in to one of my credit cards or when my Xbox logs me out of Netflix. Fuck you, Xbox.

The easy way would be to put them all in a word document and then put a password on it (that I'll probably forget), but that's probably not even a little bit secure, and there's a lot of nasty bastards out there who wouldn't think twice about hacking me and cleaning out my accounts.

How do you do it? Do you just remember them? Bit of paper? Is there a bit of freeware that will lock them up and encrypt the data?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Question. How do all y'all keep on top of usernames and passwords these days, in this 21st century paperless world? I have about 20 online accounts for a range of different things. Bank account, savings account, credit cards, energy supplier, Paypal, email addresses, Netflix etc etc. Then another 5 or 6 for applications at work. It's a stupid amount. I nearly always have to reset my password when logging in to one of my credit cards or when my Xbox logs me out of Netflix. Fuck you, Xbox.

The easy way would be to put them all in a word document and then put a password on it (that I'll probably forget), but that's probably not even a little bit secure, and there's a lot of nasty bastards out there who wouldn't think twice about hacking me and cleaning out my accounts.

How do you do it? Do you just remember them? Bit of paper? Is there a bit of freeware that will lock them up and encrypt the data?

A bit of paper in your sock drawer is probably the most secure thing you're able to do these days if you want to keep a "password file". Someone breaks into your house they'll pinch the TV and the laptop but they won't check the sock drawer for passwords.

xx

I have an unintelligible string of symbols and numbers followed by a city name. The string of characters doesn't change, but the city name changes for every site and it starts with the same first letter of the site as a an aide memoir. Eg £@()/663_##Amsterdam for Aberdeen music,  changed to Glasgow for Google, Frankfurt for Facebook, Nottingham for Netflix etc*

*none of these are my actual password btw. Also it's not cities I use. But you get the idea. 

I have only a few variations. Stuff like this site, Wikipedia, or whichever bullshit needlessly requires a sign-up, I have just the one weak password, sometimes with a number added (if I were to get hacked and my account terminated on any or all of these it wouldn't be a huge deal; nevertheless it's never happened). For my email, banking, etc. luckily I still don't use that many of them (here in Poland everything is done in cash anyway. Pay an electricity bill by direct debit? Mobile phone contract? Ha!), so I have a few variations of l33tsp34k gibberish, sometimes combined for 2-step logins.

But yeah, agreed; in not-Poland, too many passwords, too many plastic cards.

Edited by scottyboy

21 hours ago, ca_gere said:

https://lastpass.com/

I know a lot of people who use last pass.

I don't use it myself because I have a good system of including the name of the service in the password and only a  few variants of the 'root' password.

I'll have a look at this.

Does the free one do the job? Free versions of things that have paid versions are usually a bit ropey, and they annoy the shit out of you until you submit and pay for the paid version.

34 minutes ago, James Broonbreed said:

To what extent can upgrading my wireless router effect my internet connection speed?

I just have a run of the mill Sky hub just now.

Not much really - it's all about line speed. You could have a mad state of the art router but if it's on a slow or restricted line it's not gonna do much...

depends what speed you get to the house compared to what speed you get trough the router.

Ethernet cable to your router, speedtest

then speedtest on wifi.

If it's the same or similar then a new router isn't going to do much. If you're dropping speed on wifi, then try changing the channel (why this exists i'm not sure). If this doesn't work then a more powerful wifi router may work.

Does anybody know where I can watch/download that Towers Of London documentary series made for Bravo a few years ago? 
I re-watched the Donny Tourette episode of Nevermind The Buzzcocks recently and realised I'd never seen it. I want to because that one clip they showed ("I fucking DICK on the fucking Sex Pistols!") was hilarious. I Googled it and a thread from here came up on the second page of results. 

Edited by kirsten

• 1 month later...