aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to Windows 10?

Currently using Windows 7 at home and it all seems to be working fine. The laptop is a few years old, but the barrages of pop-ups suggest that it can handle the upgrade. Thoughts? We use the laptop for the internet mostly, with the occasion use of Audacity for sound editing.

13 minutes ago, Richard Pictures said:

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to Windows 10?

Currently using Windows 7 at home and it all seems to be working fine. The laptop is a few years old, but the barrages of pop-ups suggest that it can handle the upgrade. Thoughts? We use the laptop for the internet mostly, with the occasion use of Audacity for sound editing.

Go for it, I've had no problems (been on the Insider preview thing since the middle of last year), Jayne's had no problems with hers (other than a bit of slowness, but it's pretty old), and I'm using it at work right now as part of a testing pilot group.  There are occasional hiccups (mostly driver related) but if you need a hand, give me a shout.

Make a cup of tea and put a record on, the upgrade will take a while...

Edited by neepheid

Anyone know if it's possible to get a copy of your old P60s from anywhere? I've just managed to get logged in to the Student Loans site and it's ridiculous. It only shows you your full balance but they don't have details of your current balance and repayments and you have to enter the payments you've made yourself. No shit.

You will need to have details of all the deductions that have been taken from your pay or that you have paid to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) since we were last advised of your repayments through the tax system. The Balance Calculator does not give you a settlement figure. If you would like a settlement figure for your student loan, contact us on 0300 100 0611.

Repayment deductions from your salary will be shown on your pay slips or your P60. You should keep these documents as we do not receive details of your repayments until after the end of each tax year.

It is important that you monitor your repayments and keep track of your balance so you know when you are due to finish repaying. This can help prevent you from paying back too much and having to claim a refund from us.

I can't find the P60s to calculate how much I'm owe them, and the company I was working for when I made the bulk of my tax payments in the UK doesn't exist any more. 

Students Loans Company deserves a mention in Pet Hates. They'll only accept queries by phone or post, not email or webchat, and when I called them last week to see about logging in and checking my balance they had to post me a username and password for their website. They. Posted. Me. A. Username. And. Password.

Edited by Lemonade

23 hours ago, MattJimF said:

Best bet is to contact HMRC they should be able to tell you what you have paid in regards to your student loan.

Yeah, probably the best way forward I suppose. I can't believe the two of them don't talk to each other. I've never had to figure out how much I owe a company before. Complete fannies. I haven't paid any off since I left 5 years ago and when I rang them last week they hadn't even noticed. They're just like oh yeah, ok we'll say you left the UK on 01/01/2016 and you can just start paying from then. You know that emoji with the wide eyes and the red cheeks? Well that.

Edited by Lemonade

Student Loans company is a shambles. That whole thing of 'HRMC will take money every month from your wages and put it in a box and then at the end of the tax year they will give the box to us and then if the amount in the box is more than the amount that you owe us, we will give you some back' is so much shit. Why can't the amount be taken monthly by HMRC, then on the 31st of the month, all of that months takings are given to SLC and you can log on and see a real-time update of what you owe? then if, for example, the amount that you owe is less than the average of the last three months payments, a signal is sent to HMRC to say "just take £73 this month and that's the loan repaid"? Why does it just sit there all year, allowing someone else to earn interest on it/invest it, rather than reducing the capital of your loan?

I didn't even get a letter sent out to say that I'd cleared the last of the loan! I'm fully expecting a huge bill when I'm in my 70s for the £1 or whatever I had left, compounded over time!

I've (thankfully) cleared my student loan now, but it was a ballache, too. I stayed well on top of it because you hear stories about people over-paying (significantly so) and never seeing the cash back.

In the last six months or so I actually called them up and paid the final few payments by direct debit rather than it being paid through PAYE/HMRC/whatever. 

5 hours ago, Improved Thinker said:

How did they get so many people attend their first gig?

Hype, talent, sex appeal and an expensive PR campaign. 

Not really. I think that people who posted on here went to it out of curiosity and maybe I'm naive, but it seemed that $HUTT€R$P€€D being immensely gullible/sarcasm going over their heads made them endearing and people thought it'd be a nice to give them a warm reception for their first show. I've always thought it had a touch of the Make A Wish foundation about it...

I know a few people who are not members on here but ended up going along too because of the legend that thread achieved.  $$ fever gripped the northeast that week. 

• Upvote 5

Cat advice:

We have a 10 week old Maine Coon kitten (our only pet), she's got a dose of ear mites which she apparently had since we got her. We're using some ear drops, twice daily, we got from the vet this Tuesday. She also seems to be losing hair around her ears and a few other patches - the skin underneath looks a bit flakey too. Are these symptoms all related or could there be anything else wrong? She's very active and seems otherwise healthy, just looks a bit shite.....

Any thoughts?

MIDI stuff.

I have a MIDI keyboard and I'd like to be able to play with it without a laptop. I know I can get a MIDI/USB cable and a USB OTG cable to run the MIDI keyboard into something like Garageband on my phone and get noises out doing that, but if I were to look for a little, standalone MIDI-signal-to-output-noise converter unit with a couple of simple presets, what would I be looking for?

xx

3 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

MIDI stuff.

I have a MIDI keyboard and I'd like to be able to play with it without a laptop. I know I can get a MIDI/USB cable and a USB OTG cable to run the MIDI keyboard into something like Garageband on my phone and get noises out doing that, but if I were to look for a little, standalone MIDI-signal-to-output-noise converter unit with a couple of simple presets, what would I be looking for?

xx

Any older synth expander module should work shouldn't it? Yamaha Korg & Roland all made them bitd...should be pretty cheap on the ebays.

• Upvote 1

Mostly @Soda van Jerk, because I think he likes him and might know, Elvis Costello & The Impostors are playing near me soon but I'm balking at the ticket prices and trying to justify not going by saying I haven't liked anything he's done since the 70s or 80s and he probably won't play any of the old fast stuff anyway. Does he? Or am I going to pay 75 bangers (possibly €150 if my other half wants to go) to listen to a load of country pish?

Edited by Lemonade

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

Mostly @Soda van Jerk, because I think he likes him and might know, Elvis Costello & The Impostors are playing near me soon but I'm balking at the ticket prices and trying to justify not going by saying I haven't liked anything he's done since the 70s or 80s and he probably won't play any of the old fast stuff anyway. Does he? Or am I going to pay 75 bangers (possibly €150 if my other half wants to go) to listen to a load of country pish?

I saw him in 2007. It was a very wide mix of stuff, but if you're only really into The Attractions stuff like me, then the amount of songs you'll know and like will probably be minimal. He's still a great vocalist and musician, and some of the songs I didn't know were quite good, but there was a lot of boring stuff. Since he's getting on a bit, it's not a very entertaining show either.

I'd go again if it was under £25, but for £75 I'd give it a miss personally.

• Upvote 1