aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Most of you are 10-20 years older than me, I was not alive to remember these things. A massively famous actress was murdered by a man from Seaton but I don't know which celebrity this was and it happened before the Internet. 

They did a Ca Gere and went to the USA to do the deed.

Many things on the Internet happened before the Internet.

Does the pound shop on Union Street - the one near Espionage - sell water bottles that are typically used to water flowers?

Like a bottle for kitchen cleaner.

The long and short of it is, I want one of those bottles and will be in the city centre this evening.

why not use an empty kitchen cleaner bottle?

I have an old laptop, I think its still functional but the pin where the charger connects is broken and the battery is dead so it won't power up. It's not worth getting it fixed since it's so old, but I'd kind of like the files off it. Is this something that theoretically I could do myself with just a couple of cables or will I have to pay some IT cunt a fortune?

i'm sure you could just take the HD out and plug it into another computer. If you're not arsed about the laptop being put back together it's pretty easy getting a HD out, just loosen a few screws.

Or try fix the port/pin. Depends what kind of laptop and how badly damaged.

As the others said, a USB hard drive enclosure is what you need.  Something like one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=3.5+inch+enclosure&sprefix=3.5+in%2Caps%2C290

Couple of things you need to know first, what the physical size of your HD is (2.5 inch or 3.5 inch) and how it connects (probably SATA).  You should get that info off the label on the drive itself.

Watching 'Turn' last night on Netflix and realized how little I knew about the American Civil War. Then I thought how great it would be to get a book about it, like right there and then. So I'm doing it... I'm buying a kindle. Quick question is which is the best one? I want a tiny wee thin one. Quick scan on amazon and there's about a million different ones with huge price variations. Couldn't be bothered filtering through them and I know there are a few kindle enthusiasts on here so...

I have the most basic touchscreen one, 80-90 quid or so and I think it's perfect. It doesn't have a backlight for reading in the dark but the price jump up to the paperwhite doesn't represent value for money for me, it's way more expensive for pretty much just a backlight and a bit more storage, which is unnecessary because ebooks are tiny and my 4Gb can hold thousands. I don't know the model exactly but it says 7th Generation.

The ads are annoying to begin with, especially since when it's locked it always looks like I'm reading romance novels, I learned to block them out pretty quickly though. My girlfriend has the older one with the clicky buttons, I find the user interface is really basic, you can't seem to access your cloud from it and it's way more complicated to use. I have our accounts set up as a family account so we can view and download each others books, but she can't access mine from her Kindle.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

Ah, I see now the Kindle Fire is a completely different device. I think i'll get the paperwhite. Can't see the need for the jump to the voyage, unless I'm missing something? seems like all you get is an adaptive sensor and more pixels.

Yeah that's pretty much all the extras.

Paperwhite is good.  You might even like it as much as Spoonie.

You wont.