aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Why is this website so quiet now?

I need this website.

It is kind of sad how quiet it's gotten. We should all recruit one friend to sign up and also persuade an ex-poster to return, and then not be sarcastic cunts to them when they start posting. Everyone, that's your homework for this week.

• Upvote 1

It is kind of sad how quiet it's gotten. We should all recruit one friend to sign up and also persuade an ex-poster to return, and then not be sarcastic cunts to them when they start posting. Everyone, that's your homework for this week.

Yeah, lets get Stripey back, he was a great bunch of lads.

I doubt we'll ever get back to number back in the *sigh*, glory days. Since folk hear don't speak about music much, I can imagine that will put people off since the site is called Aberdeen-Music and football is probably the most popular topic. Plus the many instances of casual sexism & misogyny I'd hazard to guess has depleted posting members. There is a whole combination of things that have created a perfect storm to scare away forum members, new and old. Imagine you were new to this site today and ended up reading the brain farts from Cool Thinker or Young Adolescent?

I should probably end this post on a positive note: I like it when people talk about bands that they have discovered that are good. This is a good thing.

Homework? No way, nerd!

4REAL though, it's sad. Even when people were arguing about everything, it was still good fun. What else am I meant to do at work? Work?

I doubt we'll ever get back to number back in the *sigh*, glory days. Since folk hear don't speak about music much, I can imagine that will put people off since the site is called Aberdeen-Music and football is probably the most popular topic. Plus the many instances of casual sexism & misogyny I'd hazard to guess has depleted posting members. There is a whole combination of things that have created a perfect storm to scare away forum members, new and old. Imagine you were new to this site today and ended up reading the brain farts from Cool Thinker or Young Adolescent?

I should probably end this post on a positive note: I like it when people talk about bands that they have discovered that are good. This is a good thing.

I agree with this. There aren't many new people stopping-by anymore, and those that actually register are usually snarked out the door after making a couple of silly posts. So we're left with a slowly-declining userbase of dudes who've been registered here for years and keep checking-in because we enjoy interacting with the small, "hardcore" community that's left.

I don't even really see it as a music forum any more, personally. I don't have much common musical ground with more than two or three posters. I just log-on for the football thread and other assorted bantz.

I'm posting less on here now as I don't feel as welcome as I used to.

I've also grown more and more weary of the lack of music chat over the years. I've tried to engage people on here (as I'm aware a few others have also) in numerous ways (posting about electronic music, recording, feedback etc) but the initial flurry of interest peters out.

The forum is largely made up of a football thread and YoungA selling stuff.

I agree with this, I do think it's a combination of things. Because we're low on members, when we do have a particularly annoying member running wild it stands out more and puts people off. I've logged off in a rage and vowed never to return a few times in the past year when a particular member has been very active, (I always come back though). And like Murrr said, we do tend to chase new people off because they aren't posting the way we like (I realise the contradiction between my first point and my second there). I don't know how we fix this but I want aberdeen-music to live forever, so we must.

When I signed up however-many-years ago, it was because I had a new band and I needed a spot to start promoting it, finding out about what gigs were on, who to talk to about getting booked etc... Now that there's a Facebook where that stuff is all handled, if I wasn't a member here I wouldn't feel any real need to sign up. There are even Facebook groups for selling gear and looking for bands/musicians so the main functions that pulled me to the site are obsolete. I'm just here now because, as has been said before, I like teh bantz.

xx