aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I posted a video of him (found on youtube) on a trad forum I frequent which is full of his fellow countrymen (he's American, not Scottish). They were very apologetic for what their country has inflicted on us.

You'd think there'd be enough good pipers in Aberdeen for some of them to have a word and maybe not inflict his cack-handed practicing on the general public. Fuck knows what tourists think of bagpipes if that's what they hear when they come to Scotland.

Also, the amount good pipers get payed for playing weddings etc. I doubt any of them would bother their arse to play in front of some shit covered statue for a couple o' poun'.

I wasn't suggesting they replace him themselves, just tell him to fuck off.  Though other cities seem to have half-decent pipers doing busking so must be worth their time.

Someone was telling me he's a Texan, and it's his wife that's Scottish.

I hate when I get on the number 19 bus and he's on, as he fucking reeks of BO and only seems to wear that bloody kilt.

*not wearing only his kilt and is topless, just that he doesnt seem to have other kilts or any trousers for that matter...*

Edited by Slutbags McGee

I haven't heard from him but he's been active on Facebook.

Bagpipes when played well sound fantastic, played badly is like torture, aided by the fact that they're so loud. I heard a guy playing the other week that sounded like someone squeezing the neck of a balloon and letting the air out. Super high pitched. I've never heard that sound coming out of bagpipes before.

Anyone ever had any dealings with corporate letting from a landlord point of view?

Pros & cons compared to leasing to an individual etc.

If what Milner said is what you mean, I have done both - privately, using the P&J, Gumtree etc. and using an agency - Northwood.

When our flat was rented out privately, we were pulling in far more cash on a monthly basis, but through Northwood's "Guaranteed Rent Scheme" we get a guaranteed reduced rent every month and they deal with a'thin.  On average, we probably work out evens in terms of cash but it's evenly spread across the year, rather than having a month or two of no rental income when it's empty.

So, for me, it's now an absolute no-brainer - all I have to do is answer their e-mails.  Any problems the tenant has goes through Northwood and we get the odd "one of the rings on the cooker isn't working, do we have your permission to send in someone to fix it?" e-mails.  I say "yes", they send someone in, gets fixed within a couple of days, the tradesman's bill comes off the next month's rent.  So much easier than having to do all the chasing, running around, dealing with the tenants etc. yourself.  They also vet the tenants too (and take the risk because it's the guaranteed rent thing - we had issues with tenants not paying us on time, bailing early, etc.).

I've only ever dealt with Northwood though and never had an issue.  They are very very fussy early on in terms of the condition of the property and one of mates will go into a sweary rant if you mention Northwood in his presence because he felt as if they were insulting him when they pointed out the things that needed done in his flat before handing it over etc.

I can't imagine ever doing it ourselves privately again though.

I work for the previously mentioned Northwood. In aberdeen, we have 2 options. Fully Managed or Guaranteed Rent.

Fully Managed will see you get a higher rent, but you obviously have the risk of vacant periods. You are charged a set-up fee, and then commission each month. Guaranteed rent is just that. The company pays you every month whether or not someone is in the property or not. There is no commission charged every month, but Northwood obviously offer you slightly less than market rental value but you are guaranteed to be receiving rent.