aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Stealing is stealing. I thought that was one of your main points. Putting a tenner in your pocket that you found on the street is stealing. Am I wrong? OK then! 905f049a-8285-4fd6-82d3-5aa7c0dc01c6.jpg

Okay, so I'll agree that I should hand in that tenner if I find it on the street. I never really thought about it before so I answered on instinct but now I've given the issue more thought, you're right, I'll hand it in if it happens in the future.

Okay so what's your argument now? Oh right, now that I admitted I was wrong and didn't consider the tenner being theft, that's both your main points of contention shot down. Well it's been fun chatting guys.

Actually, i'd happily pocket the tenner. If some useless cunt is stupid enough to lose the money in the first place then why not (i'd obviously hand it to them if i saw them drop it, but if it's floating around the street then it's fair game- it's money). Then i'd go to a supermarket and buy £10 worth of food and tip it in my nice locked bin for all the bin grazers out there.

• Upvote 2

Okay, so I'll agree that I should hand in that tenner if I find it on the street. I never really thought about it before so I answered on instinct but now I've given the issue more thought, you're right, I'll hand it in if it happens in the future.

Okay so what's your argument now? Oh right, now that I admitted I was wrong and didn't consider the tenner being theft, that's both your main points of contention shot down. Well it's been fun chatting guys.

I never said it wasn't wrong but like you said in your other post I don't agree with every law or think they should all be obeyed. So no need to be so smug mate. I just gave my opinion on it, I never once said it wasn't a crime, just one that I would do and not be ashamed.

Actually, i'd happily pocket the tenner. If some useless cunt is stupid enough to lose the money in the first place then why not (i'd obviously hand it to them if i saw them drop it, but if it's floating around the street then it's fair game- it's money). Then i'd go to a supermarket and buy £10 worth of food and tip it in my nice locked bin for all the bin grazers out there.

Still stealing though isn't it.

The tenner comparison doesn't work at all. If supermarkets took their out of date food out onto the middle of the street and left it there then yes, but it is in locked bins on their property. Or if you get the tenner by going into someone else's house, searching through their dirty laundry and finding a tenner crumpled in a trouser pocket. Then it might be applicable.

Nef C is right, the majority off stuff that gets thrown out in supermarkets is in date but rotten, or broken and leaking. This gets mushed together with whatever "good" out of date food is left after reductions. It's not in the shop's interest to be throwing out food that is perfectly fine, and they could be making money on.

The idea that dumpster divers are people starving and trying to feed families while unemployed or whatever is wide of the mark too. It's mostly just hippies, and stooodents.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of tenners, my (at the time) 12-year-old brother once dropped his wallet on Holburn Junction and panicked when he realised it was gone on the way home. All it had in it was a tenner. He found it on top of the bin, completely empty. Scummy thieves.

Cool story, carry on.

EDIT: Just realised that it could have been handed into police. herp derp.

Speaking of tenners, my (at the time) 12-year-old brother once dropped his wallet on Holburn Junction and panicked when he realised it was gone on the way home. All it had in it was a tenner. He found it on top of the bin, completely empty. Scummy thieves.

Cool story, carry on.

If it was a wallet, i'd hand it in or locate the owner, contents intact.

If it was a wallet, i'd hand it in or locate the owner, contents intact.

Well since he was 12 he only had an Accord Card (which wasn't in the wallet) to prove his name. I would probably have given it into police or put it somewhere more safe than on top of the bin.

I'd go hungry before raking in a bin. At the chipper our boss caught on to a couple of chancers cooking up loads of food about an hour before we closed so it would be "throw it out or take it home". Still, i used to love walking home with a white pudding and a packet of chips.

I wouldn't be taking on ninja missions to get past cctv and breaking into locked bins. I understand Nef C about consequences on staff and that. Just thought someone might be like "oh spar in Mastrick throw out heaps on a Thursday evening" wasn't needing a full out debate on the morals of bin raking. I'm sure if worst came to worst allot of people would do the same.

sell by/use by dates are always far earlier that an item perishes. my milk is dated the 30th april, still not turned. Oh dear I must be a mink for drinking it past the sell by date

edit: I also have my pet dead rat in the freezer, waiting to be buried

• Upvote 1

There’s a fair bit of difference between choosing to consume something that has gone past it’s ‘Use By’ date and choosing to remove something from a bin and consume it. I’m not quite sure why this subject has warranted so much defense in eating stuff that’s been in a bin. It’s inherently likely to be full of germs. It’s a bin. I’m not sure I would want to test the germ-proofing qualities of packaging.

Anyway, feel free to flirt with gastronomic catastrophe if you wish.

sell by/use by dates are always far earlier that an item perishes. my milk is dated the 30th april, still not turned. Oh dear I must be a mink for drinking it past the sell by date

You're thinking of best before dates.

Use by dates are quite strict and it probably wouldn't be safe to consume something after that date (like raw meat). Best before dates are a guideline and can generally be ignored. Sell by dates are just for the shop's use and don't mean anything.

Your milk is over a month out of date? Next bowl of coco pops you have and your arse will be glued to your toilet seat!