aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

One for you scientists out there: Is it possible to trap light? I.e. if you put a candle in a box with reflective sides, will the candle's light remain in the box until it's let out? If not, why not?

Were you thinking of getting someone to lift up a box that's been there for hours and instantly blinding them or something?

Guest Gladstone

I suspect what he was getting at, though just guessing, was that light travels. So, if the light is inside the box, it can't travel beyond the confines of the box - i.e. "trapped"? I dinna ken the answer though. It's a long time since I did any sort of science at school...

One for you scientists out there: Is it possible to trap light? I.e. if you put a candle in a box with reflective sides, will the candle's light remain in the box until it's let out? If not, why not?
Surely the uncertainty principle would come into this. Is there a camera fast enough to capture a finite amount of light escaping from a sealed box? If the light source was still emitting light, then you wouldn't know if the light when you opened the box was trapped light or from the source.

I'm no scientist, I'm just being logical.

Another thing to tack onto that question would be mass. If photons have mass then technically the box could become 'full'. That doesn't answer the question but it's an interesting thought. Light penetrates everything though right? Even reflective surfaces. So I'm assuming you couldn't ever 'trap' light.*

*awaits correction from Flash.

Another thing to tack onto that question would be mass. If photons have mass then technically the box could become 'full'. That doesn't answer the question but it's an interesting thought. Light penetrates everything though right? Even reflective surfaces. So I'm assuming you couldn't ever 'trap' light.*

*awaits correction from Flash.

Light has would have mass if it could be stopped dead but apparently that's impossible. So...fuck knows. I'm gonna stop pretending to be a smart arse.

The more light is reflected the more it decays. In a box of mirrors it may look like the candle is reflecting lots and lots of light. However once the candle went out there would only be reflection for a very short period of time until the light decayed to a point where you could no longer able to see it. This reflection wouldn't even last a millisecond. It would look like when the candle went out the reflection dissappeared.

Guest Gladstone
The more light is reflected the more it decays. In a box of mirrors it may look like the candle is reflecting lots and lots of light. However once the candle went out there would only be reflection for a very short period of time until the light decayed to a point where you could no longer able to see it. This reflection wouldn't even last a millisecond. It would look like when the candle went out the reflection dissappeared.

Is that because some light gets through the reflective surface (like what ca_gere said)?

My new amp is being delivered by Yodel. Is that the one that a few folk had a rant about recently?

I dunno, but I'll join in. What's this?

tweeter.jpg

It's the tweeter out of a 4x10 bass cab after it had been in Yodel's hands.

IMAG0150.jpg

They're on my shitlist, along with General George and Orange Broadband. The only good thing about the whole debacle is that the sender managed to extract compensation out of them. That took a couple of months to materialise though. Shower of useless bastards.

Surely the uncertainty principle would come into this. Is there a camera fast enough to capture a finite amount of light escaping from a sealed box? If the light source was still emitting light, then you wouldn't know if the light when you opened the box was trapped light or from the source.

I'm no scientist, I'm just being logical.

I guess it's kinda like 'if a tree falls in the jungle and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?'. If light decays and energy can neither be created or destroyed then what does it get transferred in to in this case? Heat? I think I need some of Pierre's medicine from the End Prohibition thread to help me though this...

Guest Gladstone

Anyone know anything about Windows Task Scheduler? When I got this laptop a couple of years ago, I thought I was going to use it to help run my life and starting saving tasks etc. so that reminders would pop up when I logged in. Well, there's one task that has never fucking gone away. It pops up within a few seconds of startup and if I click "ok" it normally pops up again a wee while later. I normally just minimise it and ignore it, but then there's a window that's open that I have no use for and it annoys me. I'd also like to just delete it forever because it shouldn't still be there. I can't find it to delete it in the Task Scheduler now, which is pretty annoying. The task shows up in the "status" section but not in the "active tasks" section. Any ideas??

Can anyone recommend any good websites for watching ice hockey matches, or any games coming up that a newbie should watch? I always enjoy it when I catch a game, so have no idea why I haven't been following it before now...
You get a few illegal streams here and there but I usually just search google on the day of the game I want to watch to find one. That is until next year. Hoping to get a new laptop that will stream decently to my TV which is when I'll invest in NHL Gamecentre Live. It'll cost about $120 but that means I can watch any game at any time on demand in HD quality, including the playoffs.

Good games coming up

• Buffalo Sabres @ Washington Capitals tonight - Tied in points for the last playoff berth in the East, this means the winner could go on to get the final playoff spot as there are only 5 games left for both teams. Alex Ovechkin is hot right now but so are the entire Sabres team particularly the goalie Ryan Miller.
  • Nashville Predators @ St Louis Blues tonight - St Louis have been on a surge since getting a new coach and are now top of the league. Nashville have a new guy back in the NHL from Russia and are looking to take 4th place in the West to get home ice advantage in the playoffs.
  • Colorado Avalanche @ Vancouver Canucks Wednesday night - Colorado trying to battle back into playoff contention against 4 other teams with only one spot available while Vancouver hope to keep the top of the Northwest Division for one of the top 3 Western playoff berths.

Watching live is a bitch though. EST games like BUF @ WSH start at midnight, PST games like COL @ VAN start at 3am.

Also, I think they have a few games on in The Office on Sundays. Which games are shown is decided by the regulars, most of which play for the Aberdeen North Stars recreational team.