aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

FAO Spotify Premium Users:

I want to use spotify at work, but can't install it on my work laptop as the network here firewalls it. I could take the laptop home and install it, but then I imagine the network would still stop me from streaming anything anyway.

So, I'm considering getting the premium version, installing it to an external hard drive and making a shit-tonne of music available offline from there, in the hopes that I could just plug'n'play with that hard drive and get access to the playlists et al that I'd downloaded. Would this work, or am I overlooking something important? Also, can I burn tracks that I've downlaoded from spotify to discs so I can listen to them in the car?

The other idea was to get Spotify on my phone (when I get one of those new internetty phones that can do that kind of thing) but I'd have thought that streaming music to it would absolutely decimate my data allowance. Anyone have any idea how much data an hour (say) of constant spotify streaming uses up?

xx

You can save a bunch of music to play 'offline' on the phone version of Spotify (providing, I guess, that you have an Android or iOS based device) in the same way that you have 'offline' playlists on desktop Spotify. I don't know about installing to an external drive. You cannot burn tracks downloaded from Spotify to discs. Again, get it on your phone and hook your phone up through your car maybe?

You can save a bunch of music to play 'offline' on the phone version of Spotify (providing, I guess, that you have an Android or iOS based device) in the same way that you have 'offline' playlists on desktop Spotify. I don't know about installing to an external drive. You cannot burn tracks downloaded from Spotify to discs. Again, get it on your phone and hook your phone up through your car maybe?

Baws, the disc burning would've been nice. Although it'd be more-or-less counted as piracy I suppose. I have a secondary wee netbook so if the portable install idea doesn't work I'll just do it on that and bring her in.

Currently rocking an old nokia that doesn't have a colour display, much less a notable OS on her. I'll eventually get a decent phone sorted out but was hoping for something in the interim, but at least being able to get stuff on the phone to play offline will be handy :). Cheers!

xx

Baws, the disc burning would've been nice. Although it'd be more-or-less counted as piracy I suppose. I have a secondary wee netbook so if the portable install idea doesn't work I'll just do it on that and bring her in.

Currently rocking an old nokia that doesn't have a colour display, much less a notable OS on her. I'll eventually get a decent phone sorted out but was hoping for something in the interim, but at least being able to get stuff on the phone to play offline will be handy :). Cheers!

xx

Maybe worth trying to pick up an older iPod Touch? Not sure how much they'll be going for on eBay and the like, but that'd do the job.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you really don't. Cutbacks everywhere. Everything getting outsourced. The new £90million building is falling apart. My department isn't financed by the Scottish Government, so our jobs are pretty much safe, but everyone else is getting streamlined like fuck.

sounds like they're in a very good situation to loan £70m for a car park!