aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Seems like a pretty good deal although I was thinking about een of them funcy ones that does espresso and lattes and shit for the bird too. Gotta keep 'er indoors happy.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-EC152-Espresso-Coffee-Machine/dp/B003U2SLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331584195&sr=8-1

It's pretty foolproof and makes excellent coffee for the price of the thing. Lots of crema. The steam spout is a little short though.

I 2nd getting a proper espresso machine. As long as you understand the basic principles and clean your machine properly (doesn't take much longer than washing the cup you drank the coffee in) it's very easy. Can't say I have much experience with the home machines but if one is being recommended by several people, it can't be that bad. My only concern would be buying pre ground coffee beans as you obviously don't get a grinder with these (plus they are pretty noisy), but I'm just used to having fresh beans at work. To a casual drinker it may not be a huge difference but pre ground is definitely a bit more bitter. Nothing tastes as good as freshly ground coffee. The same also applies decaff which tastes different from normal coffee. I have worked in a coffee shop for 4 years though!

I wouldn't really want a cappuccino or latte at home. I just want a Vat of white coffee that I can dunk tons of biscuits into.

A funcy coffee is for enjoyment out in town.

I'm with you mate, can't imagine having a "proper coffee" by myself. It'd be a bit like drinking fine malt alone.

I can see the appeal. Alone it might be a bit rubbish but a night in with the Mrs and the cat can often call for a bottle of wine, or a gin, or whisky etc. I can't see why it couldn't be the same with a nice coffee.

xx

Yes, coffee with someone = nice coffee. Coffee alone is usually when you're busy and need a caffeine boost.

The beauty of having your own machine with a steam arm is you can steam the milk the way you want it, so you can get no foam at all. The other great thing about them is you can steam the milk to the temperature you like. I am a bit strange because I hate 'hot' drinks. The milk is normally steamed to about 65 degrees but for me that is too hot to drink, so when making myself a coffee I make it 50 degrees at most. For americano/instant coffee I have to pour loads of cold water it.

my coffee must be scalding hot, if not I complain

For a latte and cappuccino too? The customer should get it the way they want but milk begins to taste burnt when heated above 70 degrees so it does begin to affect the taste. I've seen people in coffee shops get tetchy when customers ask for an extra hot latte before. Also when people ask for one with no foam you can sometimes see the look of disappointment on their face.

• Upvote 1

For a latte and cappuccino too? The customer should get it the way they want but milk begins to taste burnt when heated above 70 degrees so it does begin to affect the taste. I've seen people in coffee shops get tetchy when customers ask for an extra hot latte before. Also when people ask for one with no foam you can sometimes see the look of disappointment on their face.

understandable when it comes to steaming milk etc, but I never get lattes, cappuccinos or things that have steamed milk, always a filter coffee when I'm out and about. Always with FULL FAT milk.

Starbucks americanos are fucking bowff

Yeah milk scalds fairly easily. That said, apparantley if you scald the milk for a latte it can kill the lactose in it and makes it drinkable for those with intolerances.

So I hear, if you try that and it kills you, it's not my fault.

xx

Proteins are denatured at 72 degrees (the reason why you cook food to kill bacteria, also the reason why meat/eggs change colour when cooked) so I can understand that. Lactose however is a sugar so whilst it has been years since I did chemistry, it shouldn't break down unless you heat it to several hundred degrees. Personally I think they should just stick to lactaid or soy milk to be safe!

Proteins are denatured at 72 degrees (the reason why you cook food to kill bacteria, also the reason why meat/eggs change colour when cooked) so I can understand that. Lactose however is a sugar so whilst it has been years since I did chemistry, it shouldn't break down unless you heat it to several hundred degrees. Personally I think they should just stick to lactaid or soy milk to be safe!

Well, my wife works in the Arches coffee shop, a customer was in bleating about how she's a barista at starbucks and proceeded to talk my wife through how to make her coffee - naturaly the wife was less than pleased but had to just smile through it- but this lass insisted she scald the milk for this reason.

Could well be total bollocks, but I like to spread my ignorance as widely as possible.

xx

Well, my wife works in the Arches coffee shop, a customer was in bleating about how she's a barista at starbucks and proceeded to talk my wife through how to make her coffee - naturaly the wife was less than pleased but had to just smile through it- but this lass insisted she scald the milk for this reason.

Could well be total bollocks, but I like to spread my ignorance as widely as possible.

xx

you wife must be pretty banging, intense marathon of trying to get a job there, boobs and a bonny face help/

xx

Sounds like typical 'I know more than you' superiority complex crap. If that was the case, UHT milk (which is heated to about 130 degrees IIRC ) would be labelled as lactose free, which it isn't.

• Upvote 1