aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild
Talksport have actually gone mental over it. To the point where i've decided to stop listening.

Likewise. I haven't listened to talkSPORT or Five Live since the weekend really, because this dominates the sporting airwaves. I find it fucking boring.

De Jong slid in with a meaty challenge, missed the ball, took the man, deserved his red card and a 3-match ban, Arfa is sadly injured as a result.

Shit like this happens in football, and it will do for absolutely years.

De Jong is obviously being targeted because of past actions it's true an English player wouldn't be treated the same way.

But I do think a tougher stance should be taken against these kinds of challenges. "Shit happens" isn't a good enough reason for allowing players legs to be broken. Tackles like this which are clearly very dangerous should be punished harshly regardless of whether the victim was seriously injured or not.

De Jong is obviously being targeted because of past actions it's true an English player wouldn't be treated the same way.

To be fair, Stan Collymore was leading the talkSPORT assault on Sunday afternoon after the game and he was sure to say that what he was saying about de Jong applied to players like Cattermole and Henry too.

For good measure, I'd like to throw Michael Brown of Portsmouth into the mix too.

What separates this from the Shawcross incident, for me, is not nationality but history and reaction. Shawcross had never done that before and probably never will again. De Jong has broken legs before and will most likely do it again. He showed little remorse for what was a deliberate hack resulting in severe injury. Shawcross was almost greeting.

Agree that Shawcross' was worse, though.

If it wasn't an international week it'd have been done with by now but because there's no actual football (no, the Johnstone's Paint doesn't count, not until 'boro get relegated from the Championship) Talksport/FiveLive haven't got much else to talk about. Especially with no England game until next Tuesday - it's not like they're going to talk about any of the other home nations, right? Maybe this Liverpool business will knock it off the agenda for a bit and the hysteria will die down.

Completely unrelated but I really like this story - BBC Sport - Football - Aston Villa's Eric Lichaj opts for USA over Poland

What separates this from the Shawcross incident, for me, is not nationality but history and reaction. Shawcross had never done that before and probably never will again. De Jong has broken legs before and will most likely do it again. He showed little remorse for what was a deliberate hack resulting in severe injury. Shawcross was almost greeting.

It clearly wasn't a deliberate hack though. It was clumsy and unfortunate at most. It's not the first leg-break in football and won't be the last. It would be nice if he came out and publicly apologised for what happened though (dunno if he has or not). I'm sure you'll get the best out of Ben Arfa when he comes back from injury. It's not De Jong's fault you haven't got the squad depth/quality to cover for long-term injuries ;)

Yeah but Ramsay's leg was literally hanging off. I'm sure it was the horrific sight as much as remorse for a bad challenge that caused the tears.

It clearly wasn't a deliberate hack though. It was clumsy and unfortunate at most. It's not the first leg-break in football and won't be the last. It would be nice if he came out and publicly apologised for what happened though (dunno if he has or not). I'm sure you'll get the best out of Ben Arfa when he comes back from injury. It's not De Jong's fault you haven't got the squad depth/quality to cover for long-term injuries ;)

I'm not sure what game you were watching but I'm not sure how a late attempt at scissoring someone's leg can be anything but deliberate.

On squad depth, I am confident in the remaining players' ability to keep us up. Nice try, though. WUM.

Calum Melville is a funny one, he finally broke his silence over the Dundee messyesterday and said in a statement that he is 'doing all I can to help the club survive'. Might not have got to this stage if you had bought Dens Park in the first place like you promised (facepalm), paid the taxman (facepalm), not splashed out over 300k on transfer fees last summer (facepalm), and not put the wage bill into relative hyperspace (facepalm)....

Seriously tempted to head to Dingwall on Sunday now, not everyday you see the Jags in a semi-final, but I'm still put off by the last one when we collapsed to a piss awful Airdrie side at home. Decisions...

This De Jong thing has been blown way out of proportion. I'm kinda with Nev on the matter. Not that it was a good tackle, coz it obviously wasn't if someone got injured but it wasn't THAT bad. Just unfortunate. I mean, Shawcross didn't get all this shit and I'd say his was worse. But we need to feel sympathy for him because he's a young English player whereas big Nige is a dirty foreigner. Talksport have actually gone mental over it. To the point where i've decided to stop listening.

The way most Newcastle fans are treating it, you'd think no Newcastle player would never do such a thing...

Just because it's their new signing/brightest hope doesn't make it any more malicious a tackle.

After following those links I found this -

Normally I wouldn't wish anyone to be kicked in the head. But it's John Terry. Somehow validates it.

I still like De Jong, as I would rather watch a footballer who is hard as nails than these diving pussyfooters. What he did was shit though. It was probably less stupid than kicking Alonso right in the chest, but it was still bad.

Still. Hardmen midfielders are the best kind of footballers. Not these ones who pretend to be tough, but then throw themselves around screaming, like Wilson Palacios. None of that pansy rubbish.

To be fair, Stan Collymore was leading the talkSPORT assault on Sunday afternoon after the game and he was sure to say that what he was saying about de Jong applied to players like Cattermole and Henry too.

For good measure, I'd like to throw Michael Brown of Portsmouth into the mix too.

And Stevie G. He loves a 2 footed lunge.

Wilson Palacios is a shitbag. Plays hardman when he's kicking lumps out of opponents to get the ball. Goes down holding his face and screaming when he got a bit of a shove in the back. Get a grip.

The gif above is a proper career ender. If Ronaldo didn't have the reactions and dexterity of a ballet dancer, he'd have had both legs completely dismantled from his frame.

Guest idol_wild

But I do think a tougher stance should be taken against these kinds of challenges. "Shit happens" isn't a good enough reason for allowing players legs to be broken. Tackles like this which are clearly very dangerous should be punished harshly regardless of whether the victim was seriously injured or not.

Do you believe that Nigel De Jong intentionally broke Hatem Ben Arfa's leg?

Guest idol_wild
Are we Celtic in disguise? I bet Hartley spanked their bums for that. Bebo will be pleased he's not the only player caught up in a social networking scandal. Which one do we call "Facebook" then?

My vote goes for Zander. Plus you could literally fit a book in his face by placing it in the gap between his teeth.

Besides, Michael Paton is a fucking nothing. He doesn't deserve a nickname yet.

My vote goes for Zander. Plus you could literally fit a book in his face by placing it in the gap between his teeth.

Though he does have almost the same name as the hairdryer-defiling singer from Faith No More, so far that reason I like him.

Team to face Czech Republic:

McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, Mackie, D.Fletcher, G. Caldwell, Naismith, Dorrans, Morrison

I like that Dorrans is playing as it gives me hope that Fletcher might play something similar to his Man United role.

McGregor

Hutton - Weir - McManus - Whittaker

Caldwell - Fletcher

Naismith - Dorrans - Morrison

Mackie

Something like that?

I like the look of this Mackie lad. Looked decent in a terrible Plymouth team last season and he's been banging them in for QPR this season. Worth a shot. Is Steven Fletcher injured?

He was our top goalscorer for most of last season, was he not (not that 4 goals is a massive tally)? Either way, they're both idiots.

Regarding DeJong, this guy has a track record of injuring players. Thats why I and other people are having such a fit over it. The guy is a fucking barbarian, always chopping players down. I feel the same about any player who has the same sort of attitude, whether he's a dutch international, or a long standing Inverness Caley Thistle defender...

Do I think De Jong wanted to break Ben Arfa's leg? Probably not. Do I think he wanted to come in with a clumsy challenge to "welcome him to the game" regardless of the outcome? Absolutely.

Guys a cunt. Would love to see someone absolutely snap him.