aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
Someone rep Soda Jerk s'il vous plait.

Overall, though, there seems to be some underestimating of the massive advantage that being a hugely superior technical team has. Physicality will counteract it to some extent, but over the course of the season Barca have such a monumental skill advantage that they would cruise it in the end imo.

This is my opinion.

Do people really think that Barca would struggle away to Stoke? Really? Messi is a wee lad, but he rides challenges for fun. He's a hardy little fucker with great balance and strength really. Now, I'm not saying that one on one with Bob Huth, that Bob Huth wouldn't stick Messi 20 feet in the air, because he would, but there is a very limited number of bad challenges a team can put in on one player before they all get sent off. Sometimes teams single out a star man for the "treatment" but Barca have 11 star men in comparison to most teams in the PL (with the exception of Mascherano, obviously).

Away to Man Utd, Chelsea and on occasion, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, and Man City Barca would have tough games, but against the majority of the league (including those just mentioned), Barca's passing game would see them off easily. Also, a massive part of Barca's game is work ethic when they lose the ball. If a team like Stoke used some bully boy tactics to get the ball back (they would have to catch them before they could foul them!), they'd be under instant pressure and would give the ball straight back 9 times out of 10. The immense gulf in quality would see Barca destroy a team like Stoke about 99 times out of 100 in my opinion - and most of the PL for that matter.

• Upvote 1

I'm expecting Craig Brown to sign 3 experienced guys who will command respect, and help guide the talented youngsters coming through. Hopefully next season will see a massive improvement.

I hope so, otherwise we'll really struggle to fill our new pointless stadium in the 1st division.

3 experienced guys? We need at least double that. And then some more.

Rumors of Maguire staying now.... god help us.

I mean 3 who will be useful in guiding the youngers.....I know we'll need at least 3 more 'older' heads....but I don't expect all of them to be excellent role models, as long as they can kick a ba' (or an opponent). :up:

Not happy about Maguire being offered better terms either!

Guest Gladstone

I've just had lunch with my Aberdeen supporting mate, and he reckons it's gone downhill since Calderwood left.

I said it at the time and got shot down by every Aberdeen supporter on the planet because I wouldn't know because I'm not a season ticket holder who had to endure the shit football Aberdeen were playing week in week out - but Calderwood was a massive success relatively speaking. Top 6 everytime after the shite that had been served up for the previous few seasons, and the Dons have been progressively worse since. (Said mate I had lunch with is and has been a season ticket holder for years)

What do the other Dons fans think? Do you think Calderwood would still have you challenging for 3rd spot albeit with some shitty football along the way? And would you be happier with that or are you now happy that you've Brown in charge who I think will turn it around so long as he's given at least the whole of next season but ideally another couple of seasons.

Guest Gladstone
Calderwood would have had us permanently 'lingering with intent', but never achieveing a great deal. I know we're crap at the moment, but hopefully the current cull will enable a better mentality about the team.

You're probably right.

Something else - what the fuck is it with Aberdeen FC? There seems to be a real lack of aptitude by the players. It was there before Calderwood took charge, and I remember hearing a story of Calderwood getting torn in about them because they weren't trying at training etc. but that definitely crept back in towards the end of his reign.

At the start of McGhee's reign, the players seemed to be playing well but faltered pretty soon afterwards and the current crop reacted well to Brown taking over, but look (I say "look" - I haven't seen the past couple of games, just going on what I've heard) like they couldn't give a fuck. Compare that with the likes of the ICT players against Celtic the other week. The boy that got told he had no future at ICT the day before was fucking immense. I know it's probably easier to get up for a game against Celtic than it is against St. Johnstone or St. Mirren, but these cunts should be trying their best every single game - for one, it's their job and is the very least the fans pay to see, but they should also want some pride towards the end of a disappointing season. Falling over the line and finishing 3rd bottom (is there a danger of 2nd bottom if they lose their last game?) is just pish.

Calderwood remains one of the reasons the players have the (wrong) mentality that they currently have. Hence why Brown seems to be keen on getting rid of Diamond, Young, etc, IMO.

People seem to forget that Calderwood spent a relatively large chunk of money in his time at Aberdeen. The fact is, that money is not and has not been there since he left and as a result he would have been in the exact same position (but with more shit Dutch on loan probs) - shit mentality/attitude amongst the existing group and no cash to sort out the pish on the field.

Second to that, Craig Brown is clearly the best manager we have had in years. He would not be in charge had Calderwood left and McGhee been shit. I'm in full support of CB and AK, as most Dons fans are as far as I can tell - let's give him time to sort the mess out and see where we're at in two or three seasons time.

Oh and re: McGhee, I don't think Scott Leitch did the management team any favours amongst the group of players, regardless of what they all thought of the manager.