aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

There's no doubt that the gap between top and bottom in the premiership is much smaller. I'm not sure I ever suggested otherwise. And I'm not trying to say La Liga is better or more interesting. The Premiership is my favourite league for sure. But the idea that Barca and Real are only leading by a long way is because all the other teams are rubbish is just not true. They are ahead because they have the best players in the world and consistently play to the highest level.

Why not? Because they're better and have been more consistent throughout the year. Man U are playing well now and in a one off match have every chance in the CL final but for a long period of the season they were nothing more than ordinary and dropped points that would have cost them the league in most recent years. Chelsea had bottom 3 form for about 2 months and still were only one match away from being top with 2 left to play. The Barca or Real sides have been consistent through pretty much the whole season and just wouldn't have dropped so many points.

And they are more than capable of handling "physical sides" like stoke. I thought Andy Gray was the only person who actually believed such comments.

More consistent against considerably weaker opposition.

I don't think they are. Both Barca and Real tend to play one type of football and i think they would struggle against teams who continually play 11 men behind the ball when defending.

But the idea that Barca and Real are only leading by a long way is because all the other teams are rubbish is just not true.

The other teams should be competing because they are in the same league. The fact that they aren't makes them rubbish imo. Same applies to Scotland.

More consistent against considerably weaker opposition.

I don't think they are. Both Barca and Real tend to play one type of football and i think they would struggle against teams who continually play 11 men behind the ball when defending.

Well clearly we disagree about whether the opposition is "considerably weaker" or not.

And teams do defend with all the players behind the ball against them. Even Real did so against Barca.

We could go on in circles forever.

Well clearly we disagree about whether the opposition is "considerably weaker" or not.

And teams do defend with all the players behind the ball against them. Even Real did so against Barca.

We could go on in circles forever.

Totally, i think we'll have to agree to disagree :up:

I think the difference has to be made clear in that it's the styles that would cause Barca and Real to drop more points.

Mid to higher level teams in Spain are still technically very good but they seem to lack any defensive nuance and physicality. That is what would cause the Big two Spanish clubs to drop more points. There are no other teams in Spain that really play in that style that is used throughout the EPL.

I don't think the teams in Spain are diddy anymore than the EPL ones though, but certainly Barca and Real would draw a lot more against the English mid table sides than their Spanish counterparts.

I think the difference has to be made clear in that it's the styles that would cause Barca and Real to drop more points.

Mid to higher level teams in Spain are still technically very good but they seem to lack any defensive nuance and physicality. That is what would cause the Big two Spanish clubs to drop more points. There are no other teams in Spain that really play in that style that is used throughout the EPL.

I don't think the teams in Spain are diddy anymore than the EPL ones though, but certainly Barca and Real would draw a lot more against the English mid table sides than their Spanish counterparts.

Ok Barca aren't as used to playing physical and tough sides like Stoke or Everton or whoever. But at the same time those teams don't have experience playing against a side like Barca who can keep possession and control the ball for 75% of the match.

Ok one more circle. Now I'll stop.

Ok Barca aren't as used to playing physical and tough sides like Stoke or Everton or whoever. But at the same time those teams don't have experience playing against a side like Barca who can keep possession and control the ball for 75% of the match.

Ok one more circle. Now I'll stop.

No they don't know how to play against a team that moves it as well as Barca. They're all very well versed in playing with only a small amount of the possesion against teams with better players than them.

Barca and Real would also suffer greatly from not getting every free kick when one of them is knocked over by a gust of wind like they seem to get in Spain.

Barca would struggle against rough and tumble teams who break up play and kick a few ankles. The Spanish game is very narrow too. It's all through-balls and one-twos, where as the English game provides more width and 'classic wing play'. Put the likes of Antonio Valencia constantly pegging it to the byline and it will cause their fullbacks problems. Ibrahim Affelay proved that the other night in the first leg against Real. Messi, Pedro and Villa were constantly cutting inside and Ramos and Marcelo had it sussed. Affelay dragged the ball to the byline and Marcelo fell over. He crossed it in and it was a goal. Its surprising how many wingers in La Liga stop and cut inside instead of running to the byline and hoofing it in the box. I suppose it's because there's not many big men to aim for with an aerial ball.

Barca's record on English soil recently isn't that good. Winning only 1 in 4. They won and lost at the Emirates, drew at Stamford Bridge and lost at Old Trafford. I reckon they'd be in the top 3 or 4, and possibly even win it, but I highly doubt they'd run away with it, like they do in their own league.

Barca would absolutely coast the EPL imo. The would, of course, drop points on occassion, but I reckon they would still win the league by a clear 10 points. They would win almost every match vs Man U, Citeh, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs.

There is a lot of unclear points floating around but I agree with those that say Barca would walk the EPL. In my imaginary league, Barca would win the Premiership by around 15 points, whereas if Utd took their place in Spain they'd drop more points than Barca and probably finish well behind Real in all honesty.

Those that are saying Barca (and Real) haven't had to play against teams that put 11 behind the ball haven't seen too much Spanish football these last couple of seasons I think.

Also, I think the difference in the physicality of the leagues is being hugely exaggerated here. I wouldn't say Man Utd suffer from being out-muscled in any Premiership games, yet in the Champions League final in 09 they were bullied all over the park by Barcelona. Yes, there is an over-reliance on diving and theatrics, especially recently, but there are still some right hard bastards in their team and they get kicked up and down Spain when playing the 'diddys' so I just can't imagine they'd feel too intimidated by Stoke, no matter how cold it was.

However, the Premiership is still the most enjoyable league out of the two for me. Especially this season, where the quality is arguably lower across the board than recent years, but the difference between the top and the bottom isn't as big as La Liga thus making it more enjoyable imo - which I think was ca_gere's point. Even last month, I think there was something stupid like 12 points between 5th place and a relegation spot.

• Upvote 1

Barca wouldn't win this Spanish infused English Premier League if snoods were banned. Their reliance on performing over the winter in England relies on the snood. Make them snoodless, and they'll be duking it out with the likes of Fulham and Everton for that all important 'almost-got-into-the Europa-League' spot. They'd have a good run in the Carling Cup, but they'd be knocked out in the semis by some kids Wenger found in a Borstal.

Pep would be sacked after that defeat, and they'd draft in Allardyce to see out the rest of the season. Big Sam would ring in the changes with immediate effect in the summer. He'd ship out Pedro, making way for the likes of John Carew to partner Villa up top in a rigid 4-4-2, reverting Messi into a touchline hugging winger that English football knows and loves. I imagine he'd give Puyol the axe as well, for nothing more than having a lass' hairdo, recruiting Chris Samba as his replacement. Premier League experience, and no locks of a fucking jessie.

They'd abandon their state of the art training facilities, as Big Sam would take them all to a driving range, and every player would simply hoof an angel pass as far and as high as he can, every morning of every day. The furthest hoofer gets the arm band.

Xavi would be pulled off at half time for the first few weeks, and eventually dropped, due to Sam's dismay at his short, sideways passes. Deadline day would see a seasoned and experienced Alan Smith snatched up to replace Xavi in the first team as a means of getting the ball up to Big John as quickly as possible.

They'd cruise to a 9th place finish, 6 points clear of Stoke. Sam would call it a terrific season.

Someone rep Soda Jerk s'il vous plait.

Overall, though, there seems to be some underestimating of the massive advantage that being a hugely superior technical team has. Physicality will counteract it to some extent, but over the course of the season Barca have such a monumental skill advantage that they would cruise it in the end imo.