aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
Calderwood remains one of the reasons the players have the (wrong) mentality that they currently have. Hence why Brown seems to be keen on getting rid of Diamond, Young, etc, IMO.

People seem to forget that Calderwood spent a relatively large chunk of money in his time at Aberdeen. The fact is, that money is not and has not been there since he left and as a result he would have been in the exact same position (but with more shit Dutch on loan probs) - shit mentality/attitude amongst the existing group and no cash to sort out the pish on the field.

Second to that, Craig Brown is clearly the best manager we have had in years. He would not be in charge had Calderwood left and McGhee been shit. I'm in full support of CB and AK, as most Dons fans are as far as I can tell - let's give him time to sort the mess out and see where we're at in two or three seasons time.

Oh and re: McGhee, I don't think Scott Leitch did the management team any favours amongst the group of players, regardless of what they all thought of the manager.

Fair points. Although - I don't know how Calderwood gave those players their attitude problems - care to explain? Genuinely curious.

I don't doubt that the Aberdeen fans are behind Brown and Knox - that's the impression I get as well, and rightly so.

I heard a story about Leitch as well, but I'm not typing that on a public internet forum...

Guest Gladstone
John Barnes deserves another crack at management in the SPL.

We all know that institutionalised racism was what was getting in the way of him being a top manager.

Fair points. Although - I don't know how Calderwood gave those players their attitude problems - care to explain? Genuinely curious.

His Pittodrie term had this "good-to-have-about-the-place-that's-just-how-the-lad-is-let's-go-out-and-get-pished-and-get-injured-slipping-in-a-kebab-shop-but-that's-okay-because-it's-all-banter-right-jobs-for-the-boys" feel to it.

One big lads club, and not in a good way. As you say I have stories from inside about JC that I wouldn't ever put on here.

I don't doubt that the Aberdeen fans are behind Brown and Knox - that's the impression I get as well, and rightly so.

They're the best thing to have happened to the club for a long, long time, and exactly what we need. Experienced heads.

I heard a story about Leitch as well, but I'm not typing that on a public internet forum...

As above, me too. Horrific cunt of a man by all accounts.

Sam would pwn the SPL. All he needs is a big man and a hoofer to hike the ball up to the big man. Surely Aberdeen already have a professional footballer on their books, who can kick the ball goalwards after the big man has held the ball up whilst awaiting support? No matter. I'm sure he can find one of those too. Michael Owen is out of contract at the end of the month?

Guest Gladstone
His Pittodrie term had this "good-to-have-about-the-place-that's-just-how-the-lad-is-let's-go-out-and-get-pished-and-get-injured-slipping-in-a-kebab-shop-but-that's-okay-because-it's-all-banter-right-jobs-for-the-boys" feel to it.

One big lads club, and not in a good way. As you say I have stories from inside about JC that I wouldn't ever put on here.

I thought that went on long before JC though didn't it? I've stories of guys out in whatever that place across from Charlie's used to be called on Friday nights before matches etc before Calderwood was in charge - probably sharing a pint with Steve Paterson actually!

I know it continued with Calderwood because the stories were pretty bad.

I remember one night, we were sitting in Paramount (of all fucking places) watching that Liverpool v Chelsea game in the CL semi final when the goal that Liverpool scored didn't actually cross the line - yeah that one. It was a Wednesday night, and Darren Mackie was out injured. He was sitting in Paramount completely buckled. Ryan Esson looked sober, but he was there with him, basically holding him up. That's not what I expect to see from a recuperating professional football player. Fucking shocking really.

People seem to forget that Calderwood spent a relatively large chunk of money in his time at Aberdeen.

Hardly.

Over his 5-6 year stint I can think of 5 transfers in Calderwood made:

400,000 on Lovell

300,000 on Nicholson

100,000 on Mulgrew

70,000 on Aluko

50,000 on Byrne (whatever happened to him?)

However he single handedly made that back on selling Anderson for 1m plus.

Guest Gladstone
I said relatively. No other boss since has or will get that same cash anytime soon.

Wages were high (relatively speaking) in Calderwood's day as well weren't they?

^^^^

If you think we got 7 figures for Anderson you are tripping. We got no more than 600k, and the papers took "undisclosed" to mean "seven figures" because it sounded like a better bit of business by AFC.

Calderwood did a good job at AFC (albeit with a far bigger budget than his predecessors and successors) and I am grateful for his work here. However, his time was clearly up, simple as that. The players, his players, had stopped performing for him.

I supported MM up til the 9-0 game, then it was over. No manager should lose 9-0 and stay in a job. He was a disaster.

CB and AK are finally going to be able to make some signings, and few have contacts like those two. Blackman didnt work out, but his was an impressive signing, and Milsom looks good. More of that please.

Guest Gladstone

I forgot about this - saw it in the passing on the news and then heard no more about it.

What do you reckon Boyle said? Brown is such a mild-mannered mannie normally - looked like he was going to kick his heed clean aff.

Brown and Know are owed five figure win bonuses from Boyle for their Motherwell tenure - I guess it would have been something like "no need to look for a win bonus this time" or something. The real question is "WTF is a chairman doing at the dugout?". Seems pretty obvious that Boyle went out of his way to cause trouble here. I am sure I will be accused of bias because if it invloves the Dons and I am a Dons fan it cannot be right, but I think Boyle is the guiltier party here.

CB was exonnerated by the SFA at the hearing, and I think Boyle was fined.

Guest Gladstone
Brown and Know are owed five figure win bonuses from Boyle for their Motherwell tenure - I guess it would have been something like "no need to look for a win bonus this time" or something. The real question is "WTF is a chairman doing at the dugout?". Seems pretty obvious that Boyle went out of his way to cause trouble here. I am sure I will be accused of bias because if it invloves the Dons and I am a Dons fan it cannot be right, but I think Boyle is the guiltier party here.

CB was exonnerated by the SFA at the hearing, and I think Boyle was fined.

Oh aye - Boyle clearly has gone out of his way to stir it up before running away like a big fucking blouse.

Brown was exonnerated? Despite chasing him up the tunnel and grabbing him etc? Regardless of what Boyle said or what the background is, managers shouldn't be behaving like that.

Oh aye - Boyle clearly has gone out of his way to stir it up before running away like a big fucking blouse.

Brown was exonnerated? Despite chasing him up the tunnel and grabbing him etc? Regardless of what Boyle said or what the background is, managers shouldn't be behaving like that.

Sorry I stand corrected, CB was not exonnerated at all. His knuckles were rapped and he was given a warning. For some reason I picked it up wrong. Boyle was fined and warned too.

BBC Sport - Craig Brown and John Boyle censured by SFA for spat

Guest Gladstone
Considerable difference between one incident in a distinguished career under extreme and unreasonable provocation, and the conduct of Neil Lennon throughout this season.

imo

I was only having a laugh. The incidents (the Brown/Boyle and Lennon/McCoist) are very similar in my opinion - both just handbags and while that sort of thing shouldn't be condoned, both should have been given the same air time as the Brown/Boyle one was. The whole "old firm matches behind closed doors" bollocks was way over the top. I was only comparing the two to show the massive difference in reaction they got.

(I know there have been many other "questionable" incidents involving Neil Lennon, and I'm not going there again becuase I promised not to...)

Guest Gladstone

Ok - time for a change of subject....

BBC Sport - Birmingham's Ben Foster halts England career

What do people think of players ruling themselves out for their country? Ben Foster has made it clear that he's not "retiring" from international football as such, but doesn't want to be picked for the foreseeable future. I'm sure England fans won't give too much of a fuck at the moment because Joe Hart is a machine.

But this has happened a few times in recent years with Scottish players - particularly under George Burley with Kris Boyd. At the time I thought it was a shocking attitude to show from Boyd (and still think so).

Obviously - very different reasons from Boyd and Foster, but what do folk think of it? Should you put yourself forward for international duty and be willing and available to play and wear the shirt with pride every time etc etc or is it acceptable to just stick to club football and concentrate on what is your "bread and butter"?

I don't really care. I follow England, but I'm not overly patriotic. If he doesn't want to play for England, then he doesn't want to. Paul Scholes recieved a fair bit of backlash for stepping back from International duty, which is a bit unfair really. He was being played out of position, and not being utilised to the best of his abilities, all to cater for Lampard and Gerrard, back when we thought that duo would work. This decision was all wrong, purely because Scholes, in his prime as he was back then, was better than Lampard and Gerrard anyway.

Ben Foster's a top boy now he's found his confidence again. I like Joe Hart, but I do prefer Foster since he moved to Birmingham.

I don't really care. I follow England, but I'm not overly patriotic. If he doesn't want to play for England, then he doesn't want to. Paul Scholes recieved a fair bit of backlash for stepping back from International duty, which is a bit unfair really. He was being played out of position, and not being utilised to the best of his abilities, all to cater for Lampard and Gerrard, back when we thought that duo would work. This decision was all wrong, purely because Scholes, in his prime as he was back then, was better than Lampard and Gerrard anyway.

Ben Foster's a top boy now he's found his confidence again. I like Joe Hart, but I do prefer Foster since he moved to Birmingham.

I like them both but if I had my way Paul Robinson would be the England keeper. Unfortunately he's decided he can't be arsed with it either which is fair enough. They're all entitled to make that decision and I wouldn't give them a hard time about it because I don't care enough about the England team to do so. Still, it doesn't leave much in the way of back up for Hart outside of Rob Green.