aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild
The word is that Ben Arfa wanted to be a marquee player. Marseille accepted an offer from Werder Bremen for him, but he didn't go because he wouldn't have been the main man. Hughton told him that he wanted to build a team around him, and he liked the sound of that. This is all speculation, of course, but I've heard it from a few different sources. He had the opportunity to go to a bigger club and he turned it down. Hatem Ben Arfa needs to be the biggest player at the club, which goes with what you were saying about his teamwork.

I am an optimistic Newcastle fan. Yeah, his professionalism seems pretty appalling, but he's a hugely talented player who is infinitely better than Jonas, Routledge, and Nolan. Hughton wants to play him "in the hole" behind Carroll, which is the role Nolan has been occupying. A massive, massive upgrade.

It's a sensible move for us to bring him on-loan first, too. There's an agreed price of 5.5m that will be triggered if he players 25 games. If we don't like his attitude or don't think he suits English football then we punt him. Simple. I don't think he'll have too much trouble adapting, though, as the French league is remarkably similar to the Premiership.

I'm an optimistic football fan, and I think that he'll be a good signing for us.

I actually hope you're right - I'd love to see him do well at Newcastle and I'd actually like Newcastle to do well, despite having previously hated them. I have some good pals down Newcastle way and it'd be good to see a smile on their nappers.

I can't get my head round the idea of Ricky Foster playing for Rangers. I don't think letting Foster go on loan is a bad idea but I'm a bit confused as I though the idea was as soon as somebody was out we would get Basey in, not a striker.

There's part of me which thinks that I'm actually more drunk than I raelly am just now and my mind is inventing all this. If someone had told me last season that Mulgrew and Foster would be playing for the old firm this year, I would have, well I dunno looked at them in a confused fashion I guess.

I mean,

And what about this last minute bargain deal of Van der Vaart to spurs? Seems like a good deal for spurs and would be even better if they didn't have a million players for that position already.

And what about this last minute bargain deal of Van der Vaart to spurs? Seems like a good deal for spurs and would be even better if they didn't have a million players for that position already.

This is such a pointless transfer if it goes through. It also proves that 'Arry is a total bellend and will buy anyone with a name if it is a deal. He admitted he hadn't even thought of the player until Madrid had contacted him. I imagine the situation was Real Madrid getting desperate to get rid of a named player they didnt want and the phone call was as below (they got a cockney from Real Madrid to phone him for the sake of making a deal happen).

RM: Hi is this 'Arry?

HR: Wotcha, this is 'Arry.

RM: 'Arry me old mucka, I've got a fackin belting deal for ya.

HR: I'm all steers and queers my son.

RM: Right, just yesterday, i was daaawn the transfer market speaking to those german cunts at bayern munich offering our lad RVDV at 18 million of the queens finest paaands. When I fought to myself. I daaant want to sell this lad to the fackin jerrys. Next fing i know i cancel the fackin deal.

HR: So whatcha given me a ring for then?

RM: Well 'Arry, when I got back to spain the bosses said they want fackin shot of the lad at any cost. And thats when I thought about you 'Arry.

HR: Hold on a fackin minute, are you calling me a wheeler fackin dealer? Ive made my name as a top fackin manger.....

RM: Calm daaan Arry, im calling to offer you the lad at a reasonable sum of fackin money.

HR: Well i've already got 30 attacking midfielders in my fackin squad so its gonna have to be a right fackin good deal.

RM: 8m of the queens finest Arry and the dutch lad is yours.

HR: Its a fackin wheelin fackin dealin deal my son.

RM: Nice one. Woops its past fackin 6pm.

HR: Daaant worry the prem league owe me a few favours after a few kick backs from player transfers.

RM: Sorted, phone ya in January for some more wheelin my son.

I would say that is about 97% accurate.

• Upvote 3

Riiight, so Foster to Rangers - doubt he's had very much of a say in it, but given the opportunity (being a Rangers fan and given the chance to play in Europe) I don't blame him for agreeing. Seems to me like he's been told to go so we can get Velicka in. I also imagine the wage issue isn't one in that we're probably continuing to pay Fozzie's wage, and the Huns are probably paying Velicka's wage, so no loss there.

We will miss Foster this season, but all will be forgotten if Velicka pops up with 15 goals.

Even though the window has closed, we're still very much in a position to be sending a couple of our MASSIVE pool of strikers out on loan and signing free agents.

I expect us to send Paton +1 (probably Megginson) out on loan, and definitely sign Grant Basey. I also expect there to be one more, would prefer it to be another defender/defensive midfielder but a creative player is a possibility.

Not sure whether there is any truth in the Gow rumour - would love it to be true, but suspect not.

Guest Gladstone
Putting Mackie out on loan would be a bad move IMO. He's maybe not the most skilled player but he always pops up with important goals.

Despite his flaws, Mackie's scored goals (sometimes not many) for the Dons every season for the last 70 years. He is Mr Aberdeen to me (but what the fuck would I know?).

Guest idol_wild

Watch out for Seve's World Cup passes.

Of course, nobody will be on the end of these passes, because it's against the rules of the game for a player to receive a pass whilst in the stands.

Why is the Severin deal "subject to international clearance"?

The same reason any transfer between England and Scotland is subject to international clearance. Any transfer that sees the player's registration transfer from one football association to another requires the dreaded "international clearance".

There's never really a problem with this being given, but it can sometimes take a few days for the player's registration to transfer to the new FA.

Incidentally, players whose last registration was outwith Scotland can't play as a trialist in a competitive game (Cup and SPL rules prevent this happening in any case, but trialists are allowed in the lower leagues). I presume this is because of the administration required to transfer their registration over for the sake of a maximum of three games.

Guest Gladstone
The same reason any transfer between England and Scotland is subject to international clearance. Any transfer that sees the player's registration transfer from one football association to another requires the dreaded "international clearance".

There's never really a problem with this being given, but it can sometimes take a few days for the player's registration to transfer to the new FA.

Incidentally, players whose last registration was outwith Scotland can't play as a trialist in a competitive game (Cup and SPL rules prevent this happening in any case, but trialists are allowed in the lower leagues). I presume this is because of the administration required to transfer their registration over for the sake of a maximum of three games.

Ah richt. Just never seen that before. Who "clears" it? FIFA?