aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
My source says AFC haven't been in contact with Basey for weeks, leaving him hanging and that primarily they are only interested in number one (i.e. the club). Hendrie didn't know his deal was off until he read we'd signed Hartley in the paper.

The way the club is run is a complete shambles.

Oh, and Mackie out on loan in his testimonial year perhaps..? :rolleyes:

Has Mackie not been there for 10 years yet? Jesus Christ. It feels like he's played for the Dons since 1903.

My source says AFC haven't been in contact with Basey for weeks, leaving him hanging and that primarily they are only interested in number one (i.e. the club). Hendrie didn't know his deal was off until he read we'd signed Hartley in the paper.

The way the club is run is a complete shambles.

Oh, and Mackie out on loan in his testimonial year perhaps..? :rolleyes:

Makes a change from players and agents dicking the club about though.

Wednesday beat the Manchester City of League 1, Notts County in the Johnstones Paint Trophy last night. We're on course for the Double. I'm glad we're out of the Carling Cup though, as we would have been drawn against Man United. The likes of Ritchie De Laet, Gabriel Obertan, and Michael Owen would have torn us limb from limb. Our confidence can't be doing with hammerings like that.

A huntastic line up for tomorrow night:

Scotland team: (4-1-4-1) McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, McCulloch, Naismith, Brown, Fletcher, Robson, Miller

BBC Sport - Lee McCulloch & Steven Naismith in for Scotland

Hmmmmmmmm. I'll assume Levein knows better than I.

christ, that is a really unlikeable scotland team.

I predict:

McGregor (7) - Could do nothing about Lithuania's goals. Made some good saves late on to keep the scoreline respectable

Hutton (6) - Lack of first team football showed with mistimed tackles and was caught out of position for Lithuania's first. Bombed down the right to set up Scotland's best chance.

Weir (7) - Scotland's best defender. Put his old head in where it hurts to stop the dangerous Velicka bagging a hatrick.

McManus (5) - A poor start in the championship was mirrored in an unconvincing performance. Sluggish and indecisive.

Whittaker (6) - A reasonable performance, getting forward when he could but was well beaten in the air for Lithuania's second.

McCulloch (5) - The game passed him by. Faded after picking up a yellow card for a late lunge in the first half.

Naismith (5) - A virtual spectator. Worked his socks off tracking back and had no real attacking opportunity.

Brown (6) - Scotland's most industrious player. Worked hard to get forward until sent off in the second half for two yellow cards within two minutes which effectively ended Scotland's chances of a comeback.

Fletcher (6) - worked hard to break down Lithuanian attacks but passing was wayward and squandered two free kicks.

Robson (6) - Put in three decent crosses in the first half but faded in the second before being hooked.

Miller (5) - Worked tirelessly chasing long balls. Received little service but squandered Scotland's best chance by blasting the ball straight at the Lithuanian goalie when putting it either side would have been easier.

Subs:

Hartley (6) for Robson [60] - Brought composure to the midfield but provided no attacking threat.

McFadden (5) for Naismith [68] - Looked drunk. Ran into blind alleys, sometimes forgetting the ball. Blazed over from 30 yards when a pass would have been the better option.

O'Connor (1) for Miller [78] - His only contribution was a yellow card which should have been a red for an elbow to the face.

Pessimystic (see what I did there?) Shaki

Guest idol_wild
I predict:

McGregor (7) - Could do nothing about Lithuania's goals. Made some good saves late on to keep the scoreline respectable

Hutton (6) - Lack of first team football showed with mistimed tackles and was caught out of position for Lithuania's first. Bombed down the right to set up Scotland's best chance.

Weir (7) - Scotland's best defender. Put his old head in where it hurts to stop the dangerous Velicka bagging a hatrick.

McManus (5) - A poor start in the championship was mirrored in an unconvincing performance. Sluggish and indecisive.

Whittaker (6) - A reasonable performance, getting forward when he could but was well beaten in the air for Lithuania's second.

McCulloch (5) - The game passed him by. Faded after picking up a yellow card for a late lunge in the first half.

Naismith (5) - A virtual spectator. Worked his socks off tracking back and had no real attacking opportunity.

Brown (6) - Scotland's most industrious player. Worked hard to get forward until sent off in the second half for two yellow cards within two minutes which effectively ended Scotland's chances of a comeback.

Fletcher (6) - worked hard to break down Lithuanian attacks but passing was wayward and squandered two free kicks.

Robson (6) - Put in three decent crosses in the first half but faded in the second before being hooked.

Miller (5) - Worked tirelessly chasing long balls. Received little service but squandered Scotland's best chance by blasting the ball straight at the Lithuanian goalie when putting it either side would have been easier.

Subs:

Hartley (6) for Robson [60] - Brought composure to the midfield but provided no attacking threat.

McFadden (5) for Naismith [68] - Looked drunk. Ran into blind alleys, sometimes forgetting the ball. Blazed over from 30 yards when a pass would have been the better option.

O'Connor (1) for Miller [78] - His only contribution was a yellow card which should have been a red for an elbow to the face.

Pessimystic (see what I did there?) Shaki

This post is very good.

Guest Gladstone

To be honest, I dislike the huns as much as the next person, but the cunts did win the SPL last season, so you'd expect to see a few of them in the line up. If we had a fit Craig Gordon, and a fit first choice left back, that would be 2 huns out. He has to field what's available to him.

The only changes I would make would be Hartley in the starting line up, probably in place of McCulloch, and maybe get McFadden in instead of Naismith to play LM. McCulloch has put in some decent performances for Scotland, but so has Hartley and I think Hartley cares more. And McFadden is quite often awesome for Scotland.

Scott Brown has had a good start to the season for Celtic actually, and most of his good performances have been in a Scotland shirt (since he joined Celtic).

Kenny Miller is a useless cunt, but he's the on form striker at the moment. I would actually for the first time in about 4 years have chosen him. Fletcher is out anyway, but he was pish in the last match. I honestly can't think of anyone else I'd stick up front. Particularly for a lone striker in an away game in Lithuania. He always works his arse off, which I don't normally think is enough, and it probably isn't, but he's just came off the back of a really good season with Rangers and he's continued it this season, and looks as if he might be the one to get the goals for them this season after Boyd leaving.

To be honest, I dislike the huns as much as the next person, but the cunts did win the SPL last season, so you'd expect to see a few of them in the line up. If we had a fit Craig Gordon, and a fit first choice left back, that would be 2 huns out. He has to field what's available to him.

The only changes I would make would be Hartley in the starting line up, probably in place of McCulloch, and maybe get McFadden in instead of Naismith to play LM. McCulloch has put in some decent performances for Scotland, but so has Hartley and I think Hartley cares more. And McFadden is quite often awesome for Scotland.

Scott Brown has had a good start to the season for Celtic actually, and most of his good performances have been in a Scotland shirt (since he joined Celtic).

Kenny Miller is a useless cunt, but he's the on form striker at the moment. I would actually for the first time in about 4 years have chosen him. Fletcher is out anyway, but he was pish in the last match. I honestly can't think of anyone else I'd stick up front. Particularly for a lone striker in an away game in Lithuania. He always works his arse off, which I don't normally think is enough, and it probably isn't, but he's just came off the back of a really good season with Rangers and he's continued it this season, and looks as if he might be the one to get the goals for them this season after Boyd leaving.

Uh, DazMack obv?

Good post otherwise ;) I'd agree with everything there - would definitely have Hartley in for McCulloch. I think McCulloch's only played once for Rangers this season? And Hartley's defintely on form.

Uh, DazMack obv?

Good post otherwise ;) I'd agree with everything there - would definitely have Hartley in for McCulloch. I think McCulloch's only played once for Rangers this season? And Hartley's defintely on form.

You seem to be forgetting something. If you play in light blue or green and white you are guaranteed a starting place, regardless of talent. Expect Ricky Foster and Charlie Mulgrew to be called up by the end of the season.

Guest idol_wild

What about Ross McCormack. Why isn't he featuring?

If Levein wants to do this whole flexible 4-3-3/4-5-1 thing, then he has a tailor made player in McCormack for one of the wide berths.

Aside from Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown, he's possibly the best player Scotland currently have available to them.

Guest idol_wild
I'd have Chris Burke in the team, from what I've seen of him at Cardiff this season he's on fire at the moment.

Agreed. And let's be fair, the Championship is a higher level of football than the SPL.

Guest Gladstone
Agreed. And let's be fair, the Championship is a higher level of football than the SPL.

I've not seen Burke so can't comment, but by the sound of it Cardiff are a pretty handy team, so hopefully he'll get his chance soon. He looked a real player when he first came on the scene for Rangers, but seemed to fade for a good while after that collapse he had on the pitch.

I'm glad Charlie Adam hasn't been automatically put in the team just because he plays in the Premiership, because he was a bit shit last time. I would have him in the squad though, he's a really good player, just needs a bit more experience at international level I reckon.

I think Levein's tried his best to put guys into this match that have been there and done it before. Only exceptions seem to be Naismith and Whittaker, but let's be honest, they are both pretty good players, and have been on good form for Rangers lateley.

I actually think Shaun Maloney shouldn't be that far away from the first team - he's really started playing well for Celtic this season (so far, obviously). I was slagging him a bit a few weeks ago, but if that little bastard can stay fit, I predict he'll be SPL player of the season.

I've not seen Burke so can't comment, but by the sound of it Cardiff are a pretty handy team, so hopefully he'll get his chance soon. He looked a real player when he first came on the scene for Rangers, but seemed to fade for a good while after that collapse he had on the pitch.

I saw him on Craig Bellamy's debut, I think he set up 2 and scored one in that game, the wee ginger bastard. He's looked a real handful in all three of the games I've seen him in. Admittedly those were just the highlights packages, so he may have been shite for the other 80 minutes.

Guest Gladstone
I saw him on Craig Bellamy's debut, I think he set up 2 and scored one in that game, the wee ginger bastard. He's looked a real handful in all three of the games I've seen him in. Admittedly those were just the highlights packages, so he may have been shite for the other 80 minutes.

He still looks like that character from the He-man movie.

gwildor2.jpg

I think Levein's tried his best to put guys into this match that have been there and done it before. Only exceptions seem to be Naismith and Whittaker, but let's be honest, they are both pretty good players, and have been on good form for Rangers lateley.

Whittaker isn't too bad going forward but he's an absolutely terrible defender. If we have to have a mediocre Hun fullback I'd rather have Broadfoot. Or Ricky Foster.

But really, I'd rather McNaughton was fit. Hopefully he'll start in the second game.

What about Ross McCormack. Why isn't he featuring?

If Levein wants to do this whole flexible 4-3-3/4-5-1 thing, then he has a tailor made player in McCormack for one of the wide berths.

Aside from Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown, he's possibly the best player Scotland currently have available to them.

McCormack has hardly played this season and I think he was injured a lot last season. He wasn't getting much of a game at Cardiff and has only been a late sub since moving to Leeds.....and he isn't an old firm player hence being excluded from the Scotland squad.

I'm pretty happy with how that team looks. I read Faddy has a niggling injury but may feature off the bench, which is a good option if we are needing someone to open up their defence late on.

I'm hoping we move the ball quickly tonight as I can see it becoming a 0-0 if the pace is allowed to slow down. Hutton and Whittaker getting forwards may be key in this game to give us some extra width. If memory serves, they have players who can hurt us but I can see the game getting bogged down in midfield if we let the tempo drop.