aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
At least he was actually Scottish. There were a number of players who got caps who were not Scottish and were utter shit. Paul Devlin and Robbie Stockdale off the top of my head.

Berti Vogts: "Ah, you've worn a CU Jimmy hat before? You're in."

Stokes has officially signed for Celtic by the way.

He's going to get very fed-up with the fact that Newcastle will take a number of beatings this season. I think he's a player who really thrives on playing for the best team. That's just not Newcastle in any way shape or form.

I hadn't really taken that into account. That's probably very likely. He should have signed for City. I bet he'd love making 1 substitute appearance a month even more than losing several games a season.

Guest Gladstone
"Celtic have signed a player called Rafael Scheidt? Give him the call, he's bound to have a Scottish granny"

Thanks John Barnes.

Did anyone see Barnes on that Football extra programme on Sky Sports last night?

He talked a fair bit of sense. And I could understand what he was saying.

It was being presented by Ben Shepherd and Chris Kamara though...

Some clips of Barnes in his heyday as well - by fuck he was a cracking player. I forgot how good he was.

Thanks John Barnes.

Did anyone see Barnes on that Football extra programme on Sky Sports last night?

He talked a fair bit of sense. And I could understand what he was saying.

It was being presented by Ben Shepherd and Chris Kamara though...

Some clips of Barnes in his heyday as well - by fuck he was a cracking player. I forgot how good he was.

Kammy is the best thing about Sky Sports, along with Fact-Man Martin Tyler

John Barnes was wearing a strange shirt. Looked like puffy disco shirt.

Guest Gladstone
Kammy is the best thing about Sky Sports, along with Fact-Man Martin Tyler

John Barnes was wearing a strange shirt. Looked like puffy disco shirt.

The clips of Kamara at the Masters were pretty good.

Any clip of Kamara is good actually, but not as good as his moustache.

Ordinarily the sight of Ben Shephard on my TV is cause for me to start raging but a strange thing has happened since he started doing the football, I think I might like him as a sports presenter. He's at least 3 times better than Richard Keys. I hate that man. Hate him. A couple of pelanties get missed in the first two weekends this season and he starts trying to claim that the advantage has swung to the goalkeeper on pelanty kicks. Ridiculous. What a loathesome human being.

John Barnes can't read an autocue but get him into a conversation that's not tightly scripted and he does a fine job.

Guest Gladstone
Ordinarily the sight of Ben Shephard on my TV is cause for me to start raging but a strange thing has happened since he started doing the football, I think I might like him as a sports presenter. He's at least 3 times better than Richard Keys. I hate that man. Hate him. A couple of pelanties get missed in the first two weekends this season and he starts trying to claim that the advantage has swung to the goalkeeper on pelanty kicks. Ridiculous. What a loathesome human being.

John Barnes can't read an autocue but get him into a conversation that's not tightly scripted and he does a fine job.

That's the first time I've watched that programme last night. Ben Shepherd seemed alright. He's obviously into football, and played to a relatively decent level (as in a much higher level than I've ever played or could hope to have played...).

And yeah - that was obviously Barnes's come down when presenting. I just can't understand why he was such a shit manager.

Saying that, he had one of Celtic's all time best starts to a campaign (since Jock Stein if I remember correctly), then it all went tits up. I really thought the Dalglish/Barnes thing was going to work at the time. Ach well.

Hleb really is solid business.

Konchesky to Liverpool too. That's a good signing, unfortunately. You shouldn't be allowed to sign players from the team you've just managed over a certain period of time. It always happens. It's bad enough losing a manager too. It's enough to make a team completely fall to bits. Like Villa, who look like a completely different team without Milner and O'Neill.

Guest Gladstone

Fucking hell. Watch this (all of it):

The free kicks are my favourite bit. One step, bang. Top corner. None of this stupid posturing and 10 yard run ups. Just curl the fucker into the top corner and be done with it.

He'll have a bust-up with Hughton and claim he'll never return to train with Newcastle United or step foot in their training facilities ever again.

He likes doing that.

He's going to get very fed-up with the fact that Newcastle will take a number of beatings this season. I think he's a player who really thrives on playing for the best team. That's just not Newcastle in any way shape or form.

The word is that Ben Arfa wanted to be a marquee player. Marseille accepted an offer from Werder Bremen for him, but he didn't go because he wouldn't have been the main man. Hughton told him that he wanted to build a team around him, and he liked the sound of that. This is all speculation, of course, but I've heard it from a few different sources. He had the opportunity to go to a bigger club and he turned it down. Hatem Ben Arfa needs to be the biggest player at the club, which goes with what you were saying about his teamwork.

I am an optimistic Newcastle fan. Yeah, his professionalism seems pretty appalling, but he's a hugely talented player who is infinitely better than Jonas, Routledge, and Nolan. Hughton wants to play him "in the hole" behind Carroll, which is the role Nolan has been occupying. A massive, massive upgrade.

It's a sensible move for us to bring him on-loan first, too. There's an agreed price of 5.5m that will be triggered if he players 25 games. If we don't like his attitude or don't think he suits English football then we punt him. Simple. I don't think he'll have too much trouble adapting, though, as the French league is remarkably similar to the Premiership.

I'm an optimistic football fan, and I think that he'll be a good signing for us.

BBC Sport - Football - Aberdeen target a swap deal with Rangers for Velicka

This would be a great deal, but I've got to ask what the Huns want with Foster. He's a useless spaz.

Disagree, it's a terrible deal. The one thing we don't need is another striker, even a good one like Velicka. We do however need full backs and midfielders so getting rid of Foster makes no sense apart from the idiots in our fanbase that can't see past his faults.

Deal done, season long loan deals with Foster and Velicka. I'm hoping McGhee has a trick or two up his sleeve as we need cover at full back and midfield especially with Fyvie out for the long term.

I'll wait to hear McGhee's side of it before judging the move but think it could leave us a bit short of cover if we don't bring anyone else in. Might be indication of Paton's loan move about to go through by bringing in a new striker.

Here's hoping Velicka scores goals, but how pissed off must Vernon and Magennis be? Competition is good but we now have Velicka, Vernon, Magennis, Maguire, Paton, Mackie and Megginson all vying for the 1 position up front in McGhee's favourite 4-5-1 (though admittedly he seems to like playing 2 of those as wingers).

For recognised fullbacks we have, um, well... we're hoping to get Basey.

Here's hoping Velicka scores goals, but how pissed off must Vernon and Magennis be? Competition is good but we now have Velicka, Vernon, Magennis, Maguire, Paton, Mackie and Megginson all vying for the 1 position up front in McGhee's favourite 4-5-1 (though admittedly he seems to like playing 2 of those as wingers).

For recognised fullbacks we have, um, well... we're hoping to get Basey.

You're right, but I just can't believe that this deal hasn't been done in the context of other deals that are being finalised as we speak....e.g Basey?

He's perhaps not a recognised full-back, but Considine was probably our best player last Saturday.....I for one, wouldn't mind seeing him continue there.

You're right, but I just can't believe that this deal hasn't been done in the context of other deals that are being finalised as we speak....e.g Basey?

He's perhaps not a recognised full-back, but Considine was probably our best player last Saturday.....I for one, wouldn't mind seeing him continue there.

Are you insane? In what way was he our best player last week? Agreed he's not a bad full back, but he hardly excells. Still think we need an out and out left back.

Are you insane? In what way was he our best player last week? Agreed he's not a bad full back, but he hardly excells. Still think we need an out and out left back.

I genuinely thought he was. He defended well, won tackles and used the ball pretty well.....sure he's not Cafu, but I'd rather have a LB that does his primary job well (ie. defending), than e.g. Mulgrew or Foster, who don't.