aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
Whittaker isn't too bad going forward but he's an absolutely terrible defender. If we have to have a mediocre Hun fullback I'd rather have Broadfoot. Or Ricky Foster.

But really, I'd rather McNaughton was fit. Hopefully he'll start in the second game.

It's a left back we need, seeing as Hutton will play RB. I wouldn't trust Broadfoot at LB, he's bad enough trying to kick the ball with his right foot. I actually haven't seen Foster playing for a while, but I wouldn't be against him playing at LB, but going by Dons fans' assessment of Foster, he's better going forward, and a bit ropey defensively. If that's the case, I'd rather have Whittaker because he is really good going forward. Plus he knows Davie Weir well who will be organising the defence.

Just be glad it ain't Charlie Mulgrew...

To be fair, I always thought Foster was pretty handy on the wing when it came to going past people and running fast. His big fucking downfall however is his completely inability to cross a ball. It either trickles to the feet of the keeper, goes behind for a goal kick or out for a throw in on the opposite side of the pitch.

Lucky the only good cross I think he's ever put in was with his left foot against Dnipro. Maybe he's actually left-footed but thinks he's right footed. He always came across as being a thick bastard (although he does/did have the nickname 'Google' in the dressing room due to his 'knowledge of things').

Lucky the only good cross I think he's ever put in was with his left foot against Dnipro. Maybe he's actually left-footed but thinks he's right footed. He always came across as being a thick bastard (although he does/did have the nickname 'Google' in the dressing room due to his 'knowledge of things').

I was thinking of that cross just as I typed that :laughing: pin point accuracy right onto Mackie's napper. A beautiful moment.

Guest Gladstone
Nah, Foster's a good left back. He's pacey which is massive asset at any level. He can get skinned four or five times down the same flank in the same attacking move because he is quick enough to get back into position once the winger's gone past him. :)

This is the only thing that makes Ashley Cole a decent left back actually. Been saying for years that he's a shite defender, but you have to skin him 8 times to get a cross in. Oh, and he is the expert of the goal-line clearance.

In other news, he gets divorced today, so Cheryl is back on the shelf.

Wouldna touch her with yours, mind.

Guest idol_wild
Cheryl is back on the shelf.

I would touch her with mine.

Aye, my knuckles, that is. BAM! Right in the kisser.

I am in no way condoning violence towards women, but she has proven on countless occassions that she is definitely not a woman.

I can't believe people are touting Foster for Scotland. Short memories.

He's terrible.

Good pace and was relatively effective as a man marker to be fair.

He can't complete a 10 yard pass though, skin anyone or cross the ball.....

I suppose he's at the Huns now though....

I only mentioned him in the context that out of all the shite hun fullbacks I'd rather have him over Whittaker. I don't think Foster is good enough for Scotland but then again when you consider some of the pish that's played LB in a dark blue shirt recently...

I'd also disagree that he's terrible. He's not. Yeah, he can't pass but he has pace to burn, is a good marker and was one of our better players last season. Anyway he's not in the squad and I really only mentioned him in jest, not to be taken seriously.

I can't believe people are touting Foster for Scotland. Short memories.

He's terrible.

Good pace and was relatively effective as a man marker to be fair.

He can't complete a 10 yard pass though, skin anyone or cross the ball.....

I suppose he's at the Huns now though....

I think there was a huge amount of sarcasm amongst those touting Foster for Scotland.

I only mentioned him in the context that out of all the shite hun fullbacks I'd rather have him over Whittaker. I don't think Foster is good enough for Scotland but then again when you consider some of the pish that's played LB in a dark blue shirt recently...

I'd also disagree that he's terrible. He's not. Yeah, he can't pass but he has pace to burn, is a good marker and was one of our better players last season. Anyway he's not in the squad and I really only mentioned him in jest, not to be taken seriously.

I realise it was a comment in jest.... you're not the first on several boards to mention it now he's at the unwashed however.

I did mention he was a good man marker and was pacey. ;)

The inability to complete a simple pass would not fill me with confidence at international level however.

It also wasn't hard to be one of our better players last season :popcorn:

I think there was a huge amount of sarcasm amongst those touting Foster for Scotland.

I realise this..... the mere fact it's been mentioned is quite scary however.

This is the only thing that makes Ashley Cole a decent left back actually. Been saying for years that he's a shite defender, but you have to skin him 8 times to get a cross in. Oh, and he is the expert of the goal-line clearance.

In other news, he gets divorced today, so Cheryl is back on the shelf.

Nah. Cashley Hole has got more to his game than pace. Excellent at timing the tackle on quick wingers, and his positional discipline is spot on (except those days where Malouda likes to not track back, and teams gang up on the space Malouda's laziness has created, which happens a fair bit).

He gets rinsed by tricky wingers, but nearly all full backs do. I even saw Ji Sung Park nutmeg Jose Bosingwa at Stamford Bridge a couple of seasons ago. It happens. There's still few better than him, especially considering his all-round game. He scores 5 or 6 goals a season, racks up daft amounts of assists and is always a threat.

I really don't like him, but unfortunately, he's quite good. Hopefully Kieran Gibbs will develop into 3 times the player he is, so I don't have to support Cole in the England team.

Guest Gladstone
Nah. Cashley Hole has got more to his game than pace. Excellent at timing the tackle on quick wingers, and his positional discipline is spot on (except those days where Malouda likes to not track back, and teams gang up on the space Malouda's laziness has created, which happens a fair bit).

He gets rinsed by tricky wingers, but nearly all full backs do. I even saw Ji Sung Park nutmeg Jose Bosingwa at Stamford Bridge a couple of seasons ago. It happens. There's still few better than him, especially considering his all-round game. He scores 5 or 6 goals a season, racks up daft amounts of assists and is always a threat.

I really don't like him, but unfortunately, he's quite good. Hopefully Kieran Gibbs will develop into 3 times the player he is, so I don't have to support Cole in the England team.

To be honest, My assessment of him is still from his Arsenal days when he was being hailed as some sort of superhero. He's got immensely better at defending these days.

Still a prick.

In other matters.... anyone going to the Scotland game next Tuesday?

Was originally going to give it a swerve, but seeing as I'll probably be in Glasgow that night I might aswell go.

I reckon it'll be 1-1 tonight: Kenny 'Headless Chicken' Miller to open the scoring with a soft penalty, before some 7ft Lithuanian clogger equalises from a rubbish set piece. At least 7 yellow cards, including a red for Scott Brown after Velicka boasts about how crap his maw is in bed....

Thanks to this article Joy of Six: Footballers who have overcome humble beginnings | Paul Doyle and Tom Lutz | Sport | guardian.co.uk in the Guardian I have just read this about Brazil legend Garrincha

He began working in the local factory when he was 14, started drinking around the same time, and lost his virginity to a goat

o_O

England v Bulgaria on ITV tonight, I really fancy the Bulgarians to get something out the game. I really don't care either way but shall watch nonetheless avoiding everything ITV do apart from showing the game. Do they really think we want to sit through so many ads when you can flick over to Five Live, although that will be laced with Alan Green brown nosing England to the max.

Personally more worried about the potential 'banana skin' home tie against Gateshead in the BSP tomorrow afternoon.