aberdeen-music

Something I learned today

waltz

Thing is I used it as a descriptive term that seemed pretty safe, I have had women object to being described as a 'girl' as they felt it made them seem immature, I have had women object to being called a 'woman' as it made them seem too old...so I avoided both. The context described by Kirsten is weird though, "that female" suggests an element of dislike to me.

Thing is I used it as a descriptive term that seemed pretty safe, I have had women object to being described as a 'girl' as they felt it made them seem immature, I have had women object to being called a 'woman' as it made them seem too old...so I avoided both. The context described by Kirsten is weird though, "that female" suggests an element of dislike to me.

To be honest, I wasn't even directing the comment at you, it was something that irked me in general. Think it was Jake or YA that said it. Maybe it's my own selective experiences but I've only heard the term "females" negatively, like "these females" or "look at they females" or something. It sounds jarring.

To be honest, I wasn't even directing the comment at you, it was something that irked me in general. Think it was Jake or YA that said it. Maybe it's my own selective experiences but I've only heard the term "females" negatively, like "these females" or "look at they females" or something. It sounds jarring.

I wouldn't use 'female' in a negative way. that's a bit daft. 

But what have I missed, what's all this talk about 'female' being bad? Is the accepted term womyn?

I don't particularly think it has any negative connotations, I just don't like the use of the word 'female' in the same context as Walt is describing above. Especially 'females' to describe a group of women. He's right, it sounds jarring and clinical and a bit weird to me.

I would say 'women' or 'woman', normally.

• Upvote 1