aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

is it me or is james milner thick as pigshit?

He has such a tiny amount of space to fit his brain into. Seriosly though, he has a weird shaped head. Kind of like Desperate Dan or Peter Griffin except Milner's jaw looks gigantic due to his tiny brain. Little tiny brain. Still, I rate him.

Yes, Milner definitely has a Desperate Dan thing going on. I said that on TeamTalk once, and VIlla fans piled up said I was a bastard. Jokes don't go down well on TT.

The Argies could win it, despite having a daft as a brush manager. They've just got too much quality in reserve. Diego Milito and Sergio Aguero on the bench. Ridiculous. 165 goals between all the strikers last season. Ridiculous.

At least Greece are out. The World Cup is the stage for the best players in the world. Not Samaras

I read today that, unlike with most football trophies, if you win the World Cup, as soon as the presentation/lifting ceremony is over, the World Cup is taken off the winning team, and they are given a sterling silver, gold plated replica to take home. All due to the Jules Rimet trophy being stolen. I believe most trophies in other competitions are given back within a few months of the competition restarting, so it can be displayed and paraded and whatnot. But you don't even get the World Cup for 5 minutes. Tremendous.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I read today that' date=' unlike with most football trophies, if you win the World Cup, as soon as the presentation/lifting ceremony is over, the World Cup is taken off the winning team, and they are given a sterling silver, gold plated replica to take home. All due to the Jules Rimet trophy being stolen. I believe most trophies in other competitions are given back within a few months of the competition restarting, so it can be displayed and paraded and whatnot. But you don't even get the World Cup for 5 minutes. Tremendous.[/quote']

That's the reason we've stopped even bothering to qualify. I mean - what's the point?

• Upvote 2

We played very good, and should have put 3 or 4 away. Not doing so made things very nervy, and also meant we came second in the group.

Glen Johnson got yellow carded for getting elbowed in the face. That'll teach you not to get elbowed in the face. Don't let it happen again.

He did get away with quite a lot before that however...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

That's the reason we've stopped even bothering to qualify. I mean - what's the point?

And there was me thinking the jocks didn't qualify because they were pish! :up:

Great drama at the end of the USA game, glad I switched over once it was clear England were going to snatch it.

Meanwhile, in Group D, for a very brief few minutes or so it looked like Australia were going to do it. Germany stalling on 1 goal and Schwarzer's spill put an end to that. Bit weird that Ghana go through having only scored 2 penalties considering how shoddy their defence is - every team should've tore them a new one. I'm happy that the Socceroos avoided last place I guess.

Germany v England will be a cracker, although I feel England will win. I think its subsequently became clear that Germany's opening result was as much to do with us being poor than Germany being absolutely electric. They are good, but England will be a huge test for them. English defence looked solid today, Fabio should keep faith in Upson, as I've always done ( :D ), as I thought he was great today.

One of Uruguay/South Korea/Ghana/USA will be competing in a World Cup semi-final. Very much looking forward to the rest of the tournament.

There's a good chance I'll be eating my words, but with the momentum we've got now, I think we've got a good chance of snatching a win on Sunday. We were very good defensively last night, and it might "only be Slovenia", but they still beat Hiddink's Russia to be there, so they aren't exactly pushovers.

Whoever wins will get the Argies anyway, so it's the end of the line for either side.

both talksport and five live have been harping on about how England should have nothing to fear from anyone in the competition... well quite frankly England have looked more than ordinary so far. I thought the Germans put in a good shift against better opposition last night and they'll have Klose back upfront whose better than the Brazilian kraut.

I thought England were ok and did the job required but they still looked nervy in places and you just get the impression that good team will murder them. But as Dale Winton would say you gotta be in it to win it.

Its a joke that England struggled to qualify from that group but another old cliche the media commentators are clinging onto is that Italy when they won it in 82 and 06 had a similar poor start to the campaign.

both talksport and five live have been harping on about how England should have nothing to fear from anyone in the competition... well quite frankly England have looked more than ordinary so far. I thought the Germans put in a good shift against better opposition last night and they'll have Klose back upfront whose better than the Brazilian kraut.

I thought England were ok and did the job required but they still looked nervy in places and you just get the impression that good team will murder them. But as Dale Winton would say you gotta be in it to win it.

Its a joke that England struggled to qualify from that group but another old cliche the media commentators are clinging onto is that Italy when they won it in 82 and 06 had a similar poor start to the campaign.

To be fair, for a large part of the first half in the Slovenia match England looked formiddable. They got the tempo up to premier league speed and when they do that any team will struggle to handle them I think. Germany had their hands full with Boateng and Asamoah when they upped the tempo and played more direct so I think England have a good chance. That German team is far from das machine that it appeared to be in the first game.

From the limited bits that I've seen it felt like Milner had a touch of the Beckhams about him with his get ball, cross ball policy. That was nice to see.

I hope Klose does play - our defence is much better against that kind of aerial threat than someone who's nimble and tricksy. It'll be a struggle but Germany do have some issues at the back and with a player like Adam Johnson bombing down the left wing we'll cause probl... oh. We didn't take him. Right. Ummm... Maybe we won't win after all.

I don't think Argentina are a gimme to get through to the quarter final, Mexico aren't going to lie down and let them past. I fancy an upset in that one, especially with Jonas being back in the team.

Loew's press conference regarding England was very gratious. Beckenbaur on the other hand is still being a classless moron, and he's going to look awfully silly if England win on Sunday. It smacks of that time the Man City chief was hammering on about the Carling Cup semi, and then losing. I hope that happens.