aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

I like Japan. They always have nice kits too. I have the home and away strips from the 2002 World Cup, which don't fit over my expanded waist line anymore. Alot of the players have the same surnames as brands that I know of too. Popular culture yeah!

Wearing their home top as I type. This game's a bit rubbish, admittedly. Fuck off, Paraguay.

Don't score anyone! I'll be home in time for a penalty shootout. Or a PELANTY shootout, as Chris Waddle said on the radio just now.

I can't stop saying PELANTY in a Geordie accent. Thanks, something else my friends will hate me for now. If it's not that, it's singing ITV's theme tune for the World Cup. Sing sing Africaaaa

If you say Pelanty in a Geordie accent, it kind of sounds like Penalty anyway. He's a crafty Geordie.

Some good penalties there. Right in t'corners. Would have liked to have seen Japan though. For some reason they didn't play high up the pitch like usual. They probably would have won if they had.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Portugal are fucked. They were obviously playing for 0-0. I wish teams wouldn't do that - Portugal are more than capable of playing football. Spain aren't letting them play with their ball at the minute.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

What the fuck is the Spain manager doing taking Villa off? If Portugal nick a goal, he'll regret that.

This world cup has been shit. There, I've said it.

Not one virtuoso performance or particularly great goal. Not even an outstanding last ditch defensive show by one of the pluckier teams. New Zealand were fun, Slovakia beating Italy was good, messi's shown glimpses and tevez's strike was nice but overall it's been really boring. Highlight so far has probably been the south African players singing onto the pitch. I really hope these next games live up to their billing.

Oh and Gladstone, some great points u raised earlier about brawn over silky in youth development. Too true. Was always the over developed mutants thatgot picked up by clubs when I were a lad.

I'm not sure what people were expecting from the World Cup up to this point. There have been shocks, some great goals and equally good games. There'll always be some boring moments, there are in every World Cup! It's only starting to get really interesting now, anyway, as we near the quarter finals.

Guest Gladstone

This one hasn't been great' date=' but then every World Cup is shit compared with the first one you remember watching as a kid.[/quote']

Italia 90 was the best World Cup ever and coincidentally the first one I watched.

It was actually the best one though.

Things like Cameroon beating Argentina and getting to the quarter finals, and doing a lap of honour in their England tops, and of course Roger Milla!

Klinsmann's diving, England actually being good, Gazza's tears, Platt's goals, players like Matthius, Maradonna, Koeman, Etc etc. It was magic.

Isn't Italia '90 infamous for really boring, defensive tactics? 8-) I was alive but too young to remember 1990; '94 I remember a little (mostly Roberto Baggio); '98 was cool because Scotland actually played some part and 2002 was great because of all the upsets caused by Korea, Senegal, Turkey etc.

I've enjoyed this world cup much more than 2006. It's true there hasn't been a Baggio, Fat Ronaldo or Zidane but I think there's some enjoyable football being played. I was also in Seoul during Korea's opening match against Greece and the atmosphere was pretty entertaining.

The World Cup ended on Sunday. This is just a bunch of coinciding international fixtures that I don't even care about.

This World Cup seems to be about good teams not playing well, but getting the job done. Then again, I think we are all relating 'playing well' to 'playing attractive', which isn't always the case. Holland and Spain have been poor on the eyes, but they have rarely looked troubled. Chile were great to watch, but got rinsed by Brazil.

Don't worry yoruself. The attractive football is holding itself back for the Emirates Cup at the end of the July.

1982 was the best World Cup ever and, coincidentally, the first one I watched. I can't remember any subsequent games with the same drama as Italy-Brazil and France-West Germany. The final was pretty decent too.

1982 was my first, and having watched about a million re-runs, is still my favourite.

Brazil were just ridiculously good.....pish defensively but utter genius in attack. Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior, Eder and the brilliantly named Roberto Dinamite. Fucking awesome players. It's a crime they didn't win that year.

And then there was the ultimate goal celebration by a certain M. Tardelli.

tardelli09072009.jpg

1982 was my first, and having watched about a million re-runs, is still my favourite.

Brazil were just ridiculously good.....pish defensively but utter genius in attack. Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior, Eder and the brilliantly named Roberto Dinamite. Fucking awesome players. It's a crime they didn't win that year.

And then there was the ultimate goal celebration by a certain M. Tardelli.

tardelli09072009.jpg

Brazil were just ridiculous going forward in that World Cup, although a bit poor defensively (and they had Emile Heskey's Brazilian uncle Serginho up front). Sadly that defeat to Italy has meant that they've always been slightly more pragmatic ever since.

Tardelli's goal celebration is probably the best ever, although I like Alain Giresse's from the semifinal too. That game was also notable for Uli Stielike looking like he'd just been told his entire family had been wiped out after he missed a penalty in the shoot out.

YouTube - 1982 World Cup SF FRANCE v WEST GERMANY

The Nigeria government has suspended the national football team from all competition for 2 years after going out at the World Cup group stage. Under FIFA rules, this government intervention in football activities is punishable by the suspension of the national football team from all competition.