aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

I think Spain will be more clinical today and against quite a weak Honduras side I could see it ending up 4 or 5 to 0. Of course that might all change if Spain don't score earlyish and start to get nervous.

Chile to beat Switzerland and I also think it's not impossible for North Korea to get something out of their game today. Portugal really didn't look like scoring at all against Ivory Coast so unless Ronaldo comes up with something special I could see it finishing 0-0.

yeah i think portugal are relying on ronaldo too much, if he comes good then the team comes good. same with england and rooney i suppose.

I think against Slovenia, we'll be relying on Joe Cole and his banter. He can run forwards and pass forwards, and sometimes get past a fullback. Basic stuff that we just haven't been able to achieve. Even the stupidly fast Aaron Lennon has struggled to get himself and the ball behind a defender.

If we play Gerrard out on the left again, I'm going to cry. Ashley Cole can only get forward if he has a winger to overlap. Otherwise, we are wasting the advances of "BEST LEFT BACK IN THE WORLD".

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I decided to watch the first half on my lunch hour. Decent half of football, but in the second half, Portugal have just scored 3 in 5 minutes.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I've just discovered the iplayer in BBC works on my work PC. Ace!

I watched the first half too. Just checked the score by getting a 'glass of water' and it's 4-0. What on earth!!

iplayer doesn't work for us. :(

Guest Gladstone

I watched the first half too. Just checked the score by getting a 'glass of water' and it's 4-0. What on earth!!

iplayer doesn't work for us. :(

Iplayer didn't used to work for us either, hence me not even trying until now!

As a complete aside - my brother came first (out of over 300,000 entrants!) in the first round of matches in the Sun dream team competition. He gets ?5,000 for his troubles! I should really have taken some tips from him - I'm bottom in both leagues I'm in!

Guest Gladstone

Fucking hell. 5-0. 5 different scorers and still not a goal for Ronaldo.

Guest Gladstone

Ronaldo is such a knob. He looks totally pissed off. I assume it's because his mates have all got a goal and he hasn't! It's a team game!

Guest Gladstone

This is a hiding and a half. 7-0.

Ronaldo is such a knob. He looks totally pissed off. I assume it's because his mates have all got a goal and he hasn't! It's a team game!

He did eventually... and he did some stupid neck and head trick (which I hope wasn't meant).

Saw the last 3 goals of the rout.

I think it's safe to say the World Cup has started!! Hopefully Spain will come good.

Capello has said Upson will start on Wednesday. Obviously he rates Upson higher than Dawson, as he initially left Dawson behind, but I'd be worried if I was English. Upson has been, from what I've seen, shite for the last 2 seasons. And I just can't picture a a partnership of him and Terry being any other than disastrous, especially considering Johnson will be doing his best to get in the way of whoever plays on the right and offering no help to the centre backs.

Even by the usual standards of the UK media, Capello's fall from hero to villain has been remarkable. You just get the feeling they smell blood now and have it in for him.

Guest idol_wild
Even by the usual standards of the UK media, Capello's fall from hero to villain has been remarkable. You just get the feeling they smell blood now and have it in for him.

I think you're spot on with this. "He's not even English" will soon be thrown into the mix, despite it not being a problem during qualification. Strange beasts, the English media.

It's a shame. England nor Capello really need the additional pressure, yet all our media can do is tear our team to bits and scrutinise every minor detail. I think Capello is a tough cookie and can handle it, but some of the players don't look up to the fight, as shown against Algeria. I cannot understand why the media aren't at least trying to get on his side than to put his shortfalls under the spotlight.

I like him anyway. I think he's the strongest link in the chain, even if he does make choices I don't agree with. I can't argue with the qualifying record when those said choices worked almost 100%

I know, right? To be honest though, I don't agree with his squad selection policy or his team selections. He seems really rather stubborn as well. I think we'll be seeing a changed squad on Wednesday though and they definitely have a chance to still go through so thats why he's a very decorated manager and I got Blackburn Rovers relegated in FM!! I suppose you could see his stubborness as a good way of reacting to the ridiculousness of the British media but Adrian Chiles and co looked silently disappointed by his most recent press conference. However I think a lot of what he says makes perfect sense and he/Engerland will come good and qualify for the next round.

I can't say I've seen that much of Upson but maybe he'll rise to the challenge.

...not that I care...

Guest Gladstone

For all their pretty football and commentators spunking over them, I think Spain will struggle against good teams. They've really lacked cutting edge against a pish Honduras team. It should be about 15-0.

I don't see a huge problem with the team selection announced hours before the game. That's what happens at club level, to keep players training at the highest level and competing for a place in the squad. I think the only place where I disagreed with it was the goalkeeping position. I think the No.1 needed to be prepared mentally, and obviously Green wasn't.

It really is make or break on wednesday. 2 games in and the current system hasn't worked. Something has to change, and we just have to go for it. All out attack, Chile style.

Just had a 6-a-side game with the Jabulani. I reckon it's a pretty nifty ball. Lighter than usual and if you hit it with your laces it dips and swerves all over the place, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some of the pros have been making it out to be. I play in goals and I didn't find it too hard to deal with, but then again I wasn't playing against David Villa and Luis Fabiano.

I had a game of 8's with the Jabulani tonight. I also play in goals and in the first 5 minutes was the victim to what all the keepers have been moaning about - a soft shot that squirmed its way into the net after hitting my hands. The ball definitely didn't move.

I played with it on Sunday afternoon at the sports village and frankly had the game of my life! It just moves so sweetly and a scored 2 or 3 (well, 2) absolute pelters froms 15 or 20 (well, 15) yards. Actually can't wait to play with it again, never known a football to make such a big difference to my game. Its obvious to see that folk are having a tough time with it in the WC due to the vast amount of shots going in to row Z - you've got to admit, this is occuring more than usual - but I honestly found it a joy to play with. Would recommend it to anyone.

Maybe I should play at the world cup (I'* a qu**ter e***ish).