aberdeen-music

The Official World Cup 2010 Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

Watched the game in my hotel bar here in Stavanger and I think I was the only non Englishman there so was very interesting to observe. There was a lot of pints flying and some very bad words being uttered my mother wouldn't like me to hear in polite company! They were really shocking though, I was presuming a tight 1, maybe 2-0 win after making hard work of the Algerian defence but this was pretty dire stuff.

Watched the game in my hotel bar here in Stavanger and I think I was the only non Englishman there so was very interesting to observe. There was a lot of pints flying and some very bad words being uttered my mother wouldn't like me to hear in polite company! They were really shocking though, I was presuming a tight 1, maybe 2-0 win after making hard work of the Algerian defence but this was pretty dire stuff.

that good old-fashioned trait of english arrogance has reared its ugly head once more. bet they thought they simply had to turn up and would win. but no-one expected that and again the arrogant english media have not given Algeria an ounce of credit. I thought they played marvellous - stroked the ball around comfortably and were more than worthy of the point. post match it was all about how bad england played but you gotta say the opposition rose to the occasion and should be respected for that.

"You have to give Algeria credit for making the game as dire a spectacle as it turned out," David James told BBC Radio 5 live.

"They didn't want us to create chances and apart from a couple of long-range free-kicks that weren't even close, I can't remember an effort that went near to the target."

This quote has really fucking angered me. Blaming the opposition!!!! Nothing to do with the fact that England werent capable of stringing more than 2 passes together all night was it? or they were flat, lifeless and limpless throughout? and everyone played shit, oh no, its all Algeria's fault! you fucking idiot James.

Saying they didnt want us to create chances!!! who in gods name wants the opposition to create chances??? Thats arrogance of the highest order. Thank you England for reminding me why its no wonder so many people hate us.

Guest idol_wild
"You have to give Algeria credit for making the game as dire a spectacle as it turned out," David James told BBC Radio 5 live.

England were really bad tonight, and I felt Algeria looked the more dangerous side. I was really rooting for England before tonight's game, but they totally fucked it up, which is actually a bit of a shame. Before tonight's game I wanted every single player in the England squad to lift the World Cup. Now? Not so much. They don't deserve to. Not one of them.

I'd like to say well played to Algeria - they deserved a fucking lot of credit and they played more expanisve football than England did.

After goal difference it would go to goals scored. Which would have the US ahead at the moment.

I really have very low expectation of the England side, but that was truly awful. Rooney could get will likely be on the end of a lot of hate after that comment. The fans there must have spent thousands to be there, why shouldn't they boo?

"They didn't want us to create chances and apart from a couple of long-range free-kicks that weren't even close, I can't remember an effort that went near to the target."

This quote has really fucking angered me. Blaming the opposition!!!! Nothing to do with the fact that England werent capable of stringing more than 2 passes together all night was it? or they were flat, lifeless and limpless throughout? and everyone played shit, oh no, its all Algeria's fault! you fucking idiot James.

Saying they didnt want us to create chances!!! who in gods name wants the opposition to create chances??? Thats arrogance of the highest order. Thank you England for reminding me why its no wonder so many people hate us.

That interview really annoyed me last night as well. Why should Algeria just lie down and let England create chances?

Apart from that the main reason England didn't create anything is because they kept passing the ball to men in green shirts and the players ahead of the ball were standing still just expecting it to magically find them without moving for it.

Algeria weren't particularly negative and looked more creative when they were in possession. The simple fact of the game was that England were fucking dreadful and didn't get the basics right.

The commentators kept blaming the formation as though the players didn't understand what they were supposed to be doing. It's 4-4-2, not some exotic nonsense you need a geometry degree to understand. It's a formation that they should be used to playing since they were able to kick a ball for fuck's sake.

And on the subject of punditry:

Tom English: 'The level of punditry is patronising and insulting' - The Scotsman

that was the chance to go and show everyone what they're made of. ok they have one more chance now but there's so many questions to answer.

I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt as they're still in the world cup and can still qualify but having seen teams up the ante it's hard to see this squad going too far. In fact even if they do once they come up against one of the better teams you can see england on the end of a serious thumping.

of course beat slovenia then england are going to win the world cup and all will be well in the eyes of deluded media pundits.

I can't remember feeling so gutted after a game. Not even against Palace on the last day of the season that sent us down. This was just awful. Rooney was poor, but we're not playing Rooney to his strengths. He's shown all season he's not an in-the-hole player. When he's played there, he's netted around 10 goals a season. Put him at the top of the attack, and he nets over 30. Yet, we're employing him behind non-goal scoring strikers, with a midfield who can't pass the ball. Whenever the midfield advanced, the final pass was woeful. We could have had any striker playing upfront, and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Gerrard and Lampard offer nothing as a unit. Neither of them are great passers of the ball, and there's no Paul Scholes-like character in the middle who can spray it around. If only Paul Scholes was English. Oh, he is. He just didn't want to play. I think he's the kind of player we're missing. But that's no excuse. We have 11 players who are very good, but there's just no unity.

It's ridiculous that we can still qualify for the finals. A rough, negative 1-0 win would see us undeservedly advance. Obviously I want it to happen, but the USA and Slovenia probably deserve it more. I'd probably enjoy the World Cup more if we weren't in it, as the game last night was just torture.

Johnson's 'clearance' (a side footed pass along his own penalty area to Terry whilst Alergians were pressing) had me nearly choking. I can't quite believe he is a defender. Why is he a defender? He cannot defend? I rate him going forward. He can cross, he's quick, he can take players on and even net a few goals on his weaker foot. Other than that, he's a black, corn-rowed Sergio Ramos. We should have brought Phil Neville. I fucking love Phil Neville.

I would even argue the hunger isn't there. Rooney doesn't look the player he was at United. He's not rushing after every loose ball, or pressing high up like normal. When Heskey is the best player on the pitch 2 games in a row, then you know there's problems afoot. It's all or nothing against Slovenia. Joe Cole HAS to play, and I'd personally go with 4-5-1, Rooney up top because he is the focal point, and it's the formation that brings the best out of him. Then a similar 4 man midfield that played last night, with Joe Cole between the midfield and the frontman, playing wherever the fuck he wants, doing whatever he wants, throwing banter to whoever he wants. He's got skills and vision. Lampsy has no skills. Gerrard is only good at twatting DJ's. Coley to the rescue.

England. Lol.

They were woeful. Get it right up you Adrian Durham you utter, utter cunt.

I don't know why England feel they have a divine right to sweep past everyone. They have been atrocious so far. They'll still get through mind.

Poor, poor game. Thankfully beer got me through it.

Looking forward to some better fare today. Hopefully.... maybe.

England. Lol.

They were woeful. Get it right up you Adrian Durham you utter, utter cunt.

I don't know why England feel they have a divine right to sweep past everyone. They have been atrocious so far. They'll still get through mind.

Poor, poor game. Thankfully beer got me through it.

Looking forward to some better fare today. Hopefully.... maybe.

.....not so far. This is almost as pish as last night.

I've never been so baffled at a performance as I was with England. I couldn't even derive pleasure from their woefulness which is unlike me. Hopefully they'll qualify from the group and get papped out as soon as they start showing some quality and the hope of a nation is built up again.

heard durham on talksport this morning and for once the cunt actually spoke some sense. he arrogantly said england would beat slovenia no problem though but did call for rooney to be dropped. why not? he's done nothing to merit a first team england place recently. i know he's not playing in his favoured forward position but you have to go out there and give it your all wherever the manager plays you. rooney just doesnt look interested.

it looks like the players may have lost the respect of capello who i think is proving a little out of depth managing at the finals of a major tournament. at the end of the day though its still in england's hands but on what we've seen recently they'd need to do a 'greece' to get far in the tournament and hope they get a hell of a lot of luck on their side!

anyway fuck england!!! had to chuckle at anelka getting sent home for a bust up with mental domenech!

hope denmark and cameroon go for it tonight, be nice to have 3-2, 4-3 or 3-3 type game... bah missed most the 2-2 draw between USA and Slovenia yesterday!

Domenech has totally lost the squad. Good job he's away after the tournament I guess.

The French have been nothing short of Shambolic.

Didn't know Anelka had been sent home though!

Australia game was actually pretty good today..... hopefully tonights game will be an open affair as you say Del! Both need a win!

Gutted about Australia. I seem to be in the sole minority in thinking it shouldn't have been a penalty, but what do I know, I'm only basing my opinion on Fifa's Laws of the Game. Referee's can get things wrong, but Hansen et al, - get to fuck - no excuse for your complete lack of knowledge on the handball rule.

Robbed.