aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

What it'll be is a group of random people are given a selection of omega 3 containing fish products in a food standards lab somewhere and they do a blind test to find out which is the 'best'. These focus groups/test things are commonplace nowadays. I watched a news report about it and athing so I know. Anywhere you see a label claiming any superiority on food stuffs that's always what it's due to.

Hmmm, I wonder what 'best' means. Tastiest? Most Omega 3 per cubic centimetre? Did they give the group a mouldy kipper, a fish finger and a shit smeared in Omega 3 to compare? Is it opinion or scientific fact? I tried looking it up but all I found was this thread.

Hmmm, I wonder what 'best' means. Tastiest? Most Omega 3 per cubic centimetre? Did they give the group a mouldy kipper, a fish finger and a shit smeared in Omega 3 to compare? Is it opinion or scientific fact? I tried looking it up but all I found was this thread.

Personally I think it is a lie perpetuated by Bird's Eye to try and justify charging 50p extra per box to gullible people. They just got Suggs on board for cheeky chappie style nostalgic selling power.

They just sound as if they are. It's due to compression, apparently.

Hit the mute! Why TV commercials are so loud, and how that may change - DailyFinance

EDIT: For no spellingz gud.

Okay, so I just read that article, and it doesn't say anywhere that they are the same volume.

And something sounding as if it's louder...means its louder. That's what volume is.

Okay, so I just read that article, and it doesn't say anywhere that they are the same volume.

And something sounding as if it's louder...means its louder. That's what volume is.

I think the rules say something about peak volume of the show that the advert features in. If someone is unloading a .50 cal rifle into a seals face (or Seal's face), the adverts can be really loud. If the program is a feature on the life and times of a mute librarian then the adverts will be quieter.

:up:

Some girls look sexier than they look....that's what alcohol is.

(insert an animation from the 50's of a cheesy man holding up a pint and put on a T shirt)

• Upvote 2

Commercial conventions simply require a greater degree of volume and compression in their medium than say, a movie, which may use dynamics for effect (eery silence, horror movie suspense). Adverts are all about grabbing your attention by screaming at you as loud as possible.

Totally, also as movies are generally multichannel audio they have to be remixed for 2 channel stereo leading to dialogue being a lot quieter than stereo effects.

Didn't it say that they use more mid-range frequencies or something? I don't know. I'm bad at science. I thought Back to the Future was a documentary.

Here's the quote I was talking about:

"And in addition to making their commercials as loud as the FCC lets them, marketers also use various technological tricks to make them sound even louder than they are, like packing more sound energy into midrange frequencies, the ones that the human ear is most sensitive to."

Having said that some writer somewhere could be snickering and saying "sound energy...guffaw! These chumps will believe anything!"

What I'm wondering:

What'choo talkin' bout, Willis? No, really, I've no idea.

Your posts are on average becoming less and less funny. If you had bothered to watch the programme, you would know what Willis was talking about. You would.