aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

Recipe motherfucker, I want to make Cullen Skink.

And not poison myself.

'Cause you asked so nicely I'll post it up here before I finish my blog post about it.

Cullen Skink

Serves 4

1 onion, chopped

450g smoked haddock

350g new potatoes

600ml (1 pint) milk

300ml water

Parsley, chopped

1 bay leaf

Gently fry the onion in a large saucepan for 5 minutes until soft

Pour in the milk and water then add the bay leaf and potatoes.

Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the tatties are just turning tender

Cut the haddock into large chunks and add it to the pot then simmer it for another 10 minutes or just until the fish is cooked.

Once the fish is ready, gently lift it out and set it aside to cool.

Fish out the bay leaves.

Crush the potatoes gently with a tattie masher, peel the fish and flake it back into the soup.

Bring it back up to heat, stir in the parslley and serve.

cullenskink001.jpg?w=450

Aberdeen Children's Hospital. Bigsby Jr II unfortunately broke his leg at the weekend and the care he received there was top notch. Not only is it a wonderful facility but the staff are first class.

In fact in general I think the NHS is very, very good. Folk go on about it not being as good as Belgium or whatever, but how many of those have actually had cause to use it? I've never had any serious problems thankfully but I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 21 years ago and in that time the NHS has done a grand job of looking after me.

Aberdeen Children's Hospital. Bigsby Jr II unfortunately broke his leg at the weekend and the care he received there was top notch. Not only is it a wonderful facility but the staff are first class.

In fact in general I think the NHS is very, very good. Folk go on about it not being as good as Belgium or whatever, but how many of those have actually had cause to use it? I've never had any serious problems thankfully but I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 21 years ago and in that time the NHS has done a grand job of looking after me.

NHS is a wierd one for me.

The mental health related waiting lists are frightening - but then again if there aren't enough therapists there aren't enough therapists...

Also, my wife suffered a herniated disc a year or so back and the NHS were less than useless. They put her on stupid amounts of painkillers to try to shut her up and move her on and she was told the waiting list to get a scan, some physiotherapy and some actual treatment was in the order of 6 months. We decided to go private with it and saw another doctor, first thing he suggested a good, local physio who saw her that week (within a day or two if memory serves) and she was leaps and bounds better. About 3 sessions later (around two weeks) she was right as rain.

That said; when my lung collapsed and on the numberous other injuries I've sustained the NHS have been absolutely excellent! I suppose it just comes down to demand. If you need long term treatments, you're one of millions, take a ticket and join the queue. If you break your leg, or something that needs fixed immediately, they fix it.

All things considered though I'm glad the NHS are there!

xx

Guest idol_wild
Hope the kid is alright, but if you lived in Belgium his leg would be healed by now.

In Belgium, they'd have converted the leg into inpenetrable metal and had an automatic gun pouch which slickly opened to reveal a hand-held shotgun.

A la Robocop.

NHS is a wierd one for me.

The mental health related waiting lists are frightening - but then again if there aren't enough therapists there aren't enough therapists...

Also, my wife suffered a herniated disc a year or so back and the NHS were less than useless. They put her on stupid amounts of painkillers to try to shut her up and move her on and she was told the waiting list to get a scan, some physiotherapy and some actual treatment was in the order of 6 months. We decided to go private with it and saw another doctor, first thing he suggested a good, local physio who saw her that week (within a day or two if memory serves) and she was leaps and bounds better. About 3 sessions later (around two weeks) she was right as rain.

That said; when my lung collapsed and on the numberous other injuries I've sustained the NHS have been absolutely excellent! I suppose it just comes down to demand. If you need long term treatments, you're one of millions, take a ticket and join the queue. If you break your leg, or something that needs fixed immediately, they fix it.

All things considered though I'm glad the NHS are there!

xx

I got referred for pyshiotherapy last week, they called me yesterday and said they were sending me to a private physiotherapist, no waiting list, and the NHS would pick up the tab. Which was nice. Go NHS.

I got referred for pyshiotherapy last week, they called me yesterday and said they were sending me to a private physiotherapist, no waiting list, and the NHS would pick up the tab. Which was nice. Go NHS.

Well then, fuck you.

The doctor must've knew you'd struggle to make a living if you couldn't get on your knees, so took pity.

I'm aware that joke can be thrown right back at me about my wife being on her back, but I frankly just don't care.

Seriously though, for every story about the NHS being balls there does seem to be one about them being awesome.

Is the problem with your knees a long standing one? That might have had an effect on your treatment...?

xx

Well then, fuck you.

The doctor must've knew you'd struggle to make a living if you couldn't get on your knees, so took pity.

I'm aware that joke can be thrown right back at me about my wife being on her back, but I frankly just don't care.

Seriously though, for every story about the NHS being balls there does seem to be one about them being awesome.

Is the problem with your knees a long standing one? That might have had an effect on your treatment...?

xx

Apparently because I work for a small company (<250 employees) I am eligible for physio under a new service called Working Health Services Grampian "aimed at supporting individuals to remain at or return to work". I guess the point of it is to stop folk being off sick or something.

Apparently because I work for a small company (<250 employees) I am eligible for physio under a new service called Working Health Services Grampian "aimed at supporting individuals to remain at or return to work". I guess the point of it is to stop folk being off sick or something.

Really? That's pretty ace-ic too actually. I like these services that are actually based on planet earth and that work in real life.

xx