aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Is that just what it sounds like? Give us some money so we can play gigs?

That's fucking awful.

It's this one that's bothered me enough to post it in here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/craig-john-davidson-innes-cardno-usa-tour-fund#/story

I'm pretty sure there was a healthy enough debate about it a wee while back on here, where I made my feelings clear. I just fundamentally disagree with it unless there's something about a particular campaign that makes it any different to any other artistic offering.

But like I say, the one above is pretty offensive to me.

• Upvote 2

I just don't get it, friends' bands have just saved and worked hard to produce their own albums or go on tour.

To be honest, it's like being asked to sponsor someone who wants to run a marathon to get fit - fuck off, I'm not going to pay towards something that was just an afterthought.  Next they'll be asking folk to pay for them to get a personal trainer.

• Upvote 1

What does the 'funder' get out of giving the guy money so he can go on tour? I don't have a problem with the ones where you're paying for a record to be released, because usually you'll receive the record plus other goodies when it released, so you're essentially just pre-ordering it and being rewarded for doing so. The one above just seems to be "give me money for flights, food and petrol".

• Upvote 1

What does the 'funder' get out of giving the guy money so he can go on tour? I don't have a problem with the ones where you're paying for a record to be released, because usually you'll receive the record plus other goodies when it released, so you're essentially just pre-ordering it and being rewarded for doing so. The one above just seems to be "give me money for flights, food and petrol".

It'd make sense to me if it was a case of crowdfunding coming from people in the [tour destination] where you basically buy your ticket in advance. I'm 100% behind the idea of crowdfunding where it provides a means of an artist securing funding in advance to create a piece of work, but this kind of handout shit pisses me right off too. If your music is good enough to warrant touring the US, sell a record or some tshirts and raise the fucking money yourself.

xx

Edited by Stroopy121