aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Uppity bartenders

I keep seeing articles and lists like '10 things to never say to your barman' or videos like this:

At what point in history did bartenders get afforded such a high status in society? oooh... mustn't annoy the person making a fucking drink in exchange for money. It's one of the easiest jobs in the world. I get it, there are tough drinks to make and drunk people are difficult to handle but fuck me... you'd have thought they're curing cancer the way they're talked about on social media. 

• Upvote 2

Uppity bartenders

I keep seeing articles and lists like '10 things to never say to your barman' or videos like this:

At what point in history did bartenders get afforded such a high status in society? oooh... mustn't annoy the person making a fucking drink in exchange for money. It's one of the easiest jobs in the world. I get it, there are tough drinks to make and drunk people are difficult to handle but fuck me... you'd have thought they're curing cancer the way they're talked about on social media. 

They're not bartenders, they're MIXOLOGISTS now. Wankers.

xx

• Upvote 1

Ugh, this is a massive hate of mine too.

The daft things include bartenders being pissed off if someone orders a classic cocktail like SOTB or long island iced tea, as they don't get to show off or piss about with obscure brand spirits. Then they moan that people order lots of cocktails (what bastards), but then up next in the list is people not ordering cocktails because that's the whole point of going to a cocktail bar - MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

Fuck those cunts in that video. They complain when people ask for recommendations, then they also complain when people say "no sugar". So people are meant to respect your ability enough to assume you won't use corn syrup or some shit, but not enough to ask for a recommendation for a fucking cocktail?

Also, "craft cocktail bars". EAT A FUCKING PIPEBOMB YOU SACK OF ARSEHOLES.

xx

Bartending is actually pretty tough, depending where you work. You're essentially giving the most powerful legal depressant in the world to people, and people are often dreadful enough sober.

Ordering a Guinness last in your order should be punishable by hanging, IMO. And people who wave their money at you when they want served. People who put their change on a soaking bar top. People who moan about 'taking half an hour to get served' when you've seen the person complaining has only come up to the busy bar in the last few minutes. There's loads of gripes. That said, it can also be a lot of fun when you work somewhere good.

• Upvote 1

Tough is relative though.

I definitely won't argue that serving behind a bar isn't a challenge. I even quite enjoy craft cocktails and general bar culture and respect a good bartender. But, I don't care how prissy you get about the job, you're still on par with, say, working in a chemist or the guy who takes tickets off people at the megabus stance. It's customer service and it doesn't take a rocket scientist. I've worked in loads of bars and never once felt the need to adopt the tone you find in those kinds of videos. Fair enough, skooshing some grenadine into a fish bowl at the 'nage is hardly mixology but still.

Every job has gripes, I just don't understand why so much is dedicated to preserving the sanctity that is the haloed bartender. At the risk of being offensive, I'd argue it's come about because career bartenders feel they need to constantly legitimize their livelihood due to the fact that pretty much anyone can work in a bar. They want to make it seem like a really complicated thing to do.

Within the trade there are loads of highly skilled professionals - sommeliers, cocktail tenders, etc. these people get my utmost respect - I just don't think they should feel the need to go in a strop if someone doesn't know what drink to order.

• Upvote 2

Tough is relative though.

I definitely won't argue that serving behind a bar isn't a challenge. I even quite enjoy craft cocktails and general bar culture and respect a good bartender. But, I don't care how prissy you get about the job, you're still on par with, say, working in a chemist or the guy who takes tickets off people at the megabus stance. It's customer service and it doesn't take a rocket scientist. I've worked in loads of bars and never once felt the need to adopt the tone you find in those kinds of videos. Fair enough, skooshing some grenadine into a fish bowl at the 'nage is hardly mixology but still.

Every job has gripes, I just don't understand why so much is dedicated to preserving the sanctity that is the haloed bartender. At the risk of being offensive, I'd argue it's come about because career bartenders feel they need to constantly legitimize their livelihood due to the fact that pretty much anyone can work in a bar. They want to make it seem like a really complicated thing to do.

Within the trade there are loads of highly skilled professionals - sommeliers, cocktail tenders, etc. these people get my utmost respect - I just don't think they should feel the need to go in a strop if someone doesn't know what drink to order.

I think this hits the nail on the head, but I think it's absolutely universal now. Everyone wants to feel like they're splitting fucking atoms nowadays. The first I started noticing it was with these cunty memes:

what_i_think_i_do_programmer-710x532.jpg

Nobody gives a fuck what you do. We all just pretend to give a fuck what everyone else does because we want them to pretend they give a fuck what we do.

Also, cunts that make coffee are exactly as arseholeish as these barcunts too. You push buttons on a machine that makes coffee... It's not an art, it's a sequence of remedial tasks. Calm down.

xx

• Upvote 1

AGFW strikes again...

in kitchen, making coffee. Talking about the plastic stirrers, and how they're a massive waste and people should just use a spoon. He goes "Yeah, we create so much waste. Its ridiculous." He then pulls out a plastic stirrer, uses it to stir his tea, then goes and gets a spoon to take out the teabag. Are you fucking serious?

Locking wheel nuts.

Got a flat tyre yesterday, couldn't change it out because the car has a locking nut on it and the dealer didn't supply a fucking key for it. They're now saying I need to get the car towed in so they can get it sorted out, rather than just letting me come by and pick up the fucking thing they should have supplied in the first place. Shower of useless pissholes.

xx

• Upvote 1

Locking wheel nuts.

Got a flat tyre yesterday, couldn't change it out because the car has a locking nut on it and the dealer didn't supply a fucking key for it. They're now saying I need to get the car towed in so they can get it sorted out, rather than just letting me come by and pick up the fucking thing they should have supplied in the first place. Shower of useless pissholes.

xx

The RAC/AA/Tyre Fitters will all have universal locking nut removers. Just call them/take it to your nearest tyre fitter and problem solved without towing. if you're not an RAC/AA member then you can join on the day and it'll still probly be cheaper than towing...

• Upvote 1