aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

In what respect? The good 'mental' or the bad 'mental'?

I know a lot of former employees left and joined/started up a new company in the area because of the way they were treated. 

They also seem to have a very high turnover of staff. 

Saying that though I've not had any dealings with the company personally and they seem to constantly win awards so it can't all be that bad.

I know a lot of former employees left and joined/started up a new company in the area because of the way they were treated. 

They also seem to have a very high turnover of staff. 

Saying that though I've not had any dealings with the company personally and they seem to constantly win awards so it can't all be that bad.

They should get done for false advertising.

Ignorant, racist people really annoy me. We have this fucking dyke in our office right now harping on about how she wont donate clothes to those people who come round your house because in her words "it just goes to those fucking Poles or Lithuanians and i dont want them walking about in clothes that i have bought, they can fuck off and buy clothes from their own country" Not really thinking that none of the stuff she wears has been made here, rather made in some sweat shop by a 5 year old Phillipino child with one hand. She is making me so angry today.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Colleagues who don't know the difference between creating a shortcut to a shared document, and creating a copy, and only working in that copy, for months and months, until they realise "Hey, wait a minute, why is this document filled with only my entries?"

MONTHS!

A guy at baker did that. He also told the supervisor he was "overqualified for the job".

What's the double standard? You used a homophobic phrase while complaining about racism.  It was pointed out that's a shitty thing to do.  Seems fair.

Maybe the reaction to the use of the word dyke as a potentially homophobic insult,  while saying nothing when people freely use the word cunt could be seen as a double standard? If dyke can be taken to mean that homosexuality is bad then cunt can definitely be taken as an insult to women.

From a quick google of "cunt"

"Catherine MacKinnon argued that use of the word acts to reinforce a dehumanisation of women by reducing them to mere body parts; and in 1979 Andrea Dworkin described the word as reducing women to "the one essential - 'cunt: our essence ... our offence'"

All insults are demaning to someone. It's funny what people choose to be offended by....

Edited by colb

I will defend to the end of time the right to use the word cunt. It's a great word and I don't believe it's offensive to women at all. 

When Milner said double standards I thought he was referring to the fact that people use 'gay' and 'poof' as joke insults on here all the time.

Dyke did stand out to me a bit though, I guess because I've never really come across it being used as an insult except when people are actually attacking the person's sexuality. 

I will defend to the end of time the right to use the word cunt. It's a great word and I don't believe it's offensive to women at all.

When Milner said double standards I thought he was referring to the fact that people use 'gay' and 'poof' as joke insults on here all the time.

Dyke did stand out to me a bit though, I guess because I've never really come across it being used as an insult except when people are actually attacking the person's sexuality.

Would you call your mum or gran a cunt? I'm gonna guess no, which means you probably do think it's kind of offensive. Edited by colb

Would you call your mum or gran a cunt? I'm gonna guess no, which means you probably do think it's kind of offensive.

I wouldn't use any swear words in front of my Mum or Gran because they don't like it. For similar reasons I don't swear at work because it's not appropriate to the situation. In more informal situations I swear sometimes. Cunt is offensive to some people for no more reason really than it is considered an offensive word. I would call a female friend a cunt and a male friend a cunt, the same for dick. Nothing to do with attacking someone's gender.

I wouldn't use any swear words in front of my Mum or Gran because they don't like it. For similar reasons I don't swear at work because it's not appropriate to the situation. In more informal situations I swear sometimes. Cunt is offensive to some people for no more reason really than it is considered an offensive word. I would call a female friend a cunt and a male friend a cunt, the same for dick. Nothing to do with attacking someone's gender.

You consider it just an offensive word, there's a fair amount of writing from women that says they find the word an attack on their gender. Doesn't that matter?

What you mean by the word cunt, or what Milner meant by the word dyke is completely irrelevant - if it's something people take offence at then complaining about one and not the other is a clear double standard.