aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Don't you need a TV license now even if you don't have a TV? Radio and a PC seem to qualify you for requiring a TV license I believe, even if it's not hooked up to the internet. TV licenses are shite. I don't even watch the BBC, but I pay for the privelage anyway. Can you imagine if more products did this? The milkman for example. He could bring you 3 pints a day that you don't even want. Your driveway would be piled up with full bottles of milk, and he'd send his heavies round claiming that you owe him 200. You have to have milk. You don't have a choice.

The TV License doesn't just cover TV mind.

BBC - About the BBC - The licence fee

The TV License doesn't just cover TV mind.

BBC - About the BBC - The licence fee

Yeah, I listen to BBC radio a lot, especialy radio Scotland when the football's on.

Apparently they've been told to scale down their web content though which I can kind of see because no doubt they spend a fotrune on online news etc which is then used by people all over the world for free.

I argued with them in my last flat because while we had a TV, the aerial was broken and the channels were so fuzzy you couldn't actually watch anything. They said we still had to get a licence, and I said "well we'll just unplug the aerial and then we won't be picking up any signal" and they said that was OK - though I did still get threatening letters from them for about a year.

You can watch programs on the iPlayer without a licence, howevr if you watch the live BBC stream onlin, you do need a licence.

I've been told the license guys can scramble your t.v if you wish so it will no longer pick a signal. Seems pretty fair if you aren't interested in what's on the box. I wouldn't trust just being told over the phone that if you just unplug the aerial then it would be okay. Arsed with having the knee breakers storming round and causing all sorts of inconveiniences and for you turn and say " oh it's okay some quine on the phone said it would be fine".

I've been told the license guys can scramble your t.v if you wish so it will no longer pick a signal. Seems pretty fair if you aren't interested in what's on the box. I wouldn't trust just being told over the phone that if you just unplug the aerial then it would be okay. Arsed with having the knee breakers storming round and causing all sorts of inconveiniences and for you turn and say " oh it's okay some quine on the phone said it would be fine".

But wouldn't your TV still be able to get a signal via SCART inputs, i.e SkyTV?

But wouldn't your TV still be able to get a signal via SCART inputs, i.e SkyTV?

Indeed, it's probably bollocks they tell you to strong arm you into buying a license, just like the old "Detector vans are operating in your area" scam when in actual fact they had no such detection technology and the vans were empty save for a few wires and transitors bought from Tandy sellotaped to the back window for effect.

TV licensing is indeed a crock of shit, there should be some sort of sliding scale where you pay in proportion to the amount of telly you actually watch. If they're so quick to detect whether there's a TV in the flat they can fucking well calculate how often it's on. Therefore, those people who know there's a whole world beyond the telly can save a few quid while couch-potato cretins can get charged through the earth for not doing anything more constructive.

People on disability benefits shouldn't have to pay for a licence either. And extra-charge folk who have more than one telly in the house, because you don't need more than one telly in the house.

And they can stop putting so much shite on the telly while they're at it.

:up:

Guest idol_wild

People in offices who write desk instructions and then become obsessed with them, and overtly (and overly) proud of them.

Your life is clearly very empty. Get a new one.

People in offices who write desk instructions and then become obsessed with them, and overtly (and overly) proud of them.

Your life is clearly very empty. Get a new one.

I used to work with a guy who had a sign that would say "Do not Disturb". He was a total bellend, maybe the two are linked. Or maybe he just put up signs because he was a bellend.

He now doesn't work in the oil industry - he owns a coffee shop in town, which is probably littered with stupid signs.

Guest idol_wild

Do I fucking look like I'm into cars in any way?

I just got talked at for fourteen entire minutes about cars. Think about that - fourteen minutes. That's a seriously fucking long time to be talked at about cars.

I fucking hate cars.

I just got talked at for fourteen entire minutes about cars. Think about that - fourteen minutes. That's a seriously fucking long time to be talked at about cars.

I fucking hate cars.

Agree Drive was crap, but Best Friend's Girlfriend is a classic.

A lot of people talk about personal interests without much consideration for their audience but I try not to hold it against them. It can be a social anxiety thing, they just talk about what they know rather than have nothing to say. If it's something you're not interested in you can choose just to suck it up or steer the conversation (see what I did there?) elsewhere. You could ask them how they got into cars or what it is they like about cars or whatever and that can take the conversation in another direction. I know it's a bit annoying, perhaps even exhausting (I'm on fire today) but maybe one day when you're enthusing about musical instruments or something you'll actually just be boring the tits off of someone.

Guest idol_wild
A lot of people talk about personal interests without much consideration for their audience but I try not to hold it against them. It can be a social anxiety thing, they just talk about what they know rather than have nothing to say. If it's something you're not interested in you can choose just to suck it up or steer the conversation (see what I did there?) elsewhere. You could ask them how they got into cars or what it is they like about cars or whatever and that can take the conversation in another direction. I know it's a bit annoying, perhaps even exhausting (I'm on fire today) but maybe one day when you're enthusing about musical instruments or something you'll actually just be boring the tits off of someone.

Yawn.

It's the pet hate thread. Take your reasoning elsewhere.

I WANT TO SEE HATRED.

I fucking hate cars.

Good Cars:

The Batmobile

The Last of The V8 Interceptors

Hot Wheels

Boring Cars:

Every real car ever.