aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

New Yorkers refer to being in a queue as 'waiting ON line'. 'In line' i could deal with but 'on line' is just plain silly.

Other linguistic pet hates from Poland include:

'I wrote him' rather than 'I wrote to him' - just remove a whole word from a perfectly good sentence why don't you?

'disoriented' instead of 'disorientated' - There are a bunch like this where repeated consonant sounds are just removed. They probably call a banana a 'bana'

'did you eat yet' instead of 'have you eaten' - 'mercans completely overlook the past perfect tense. Ugh, tsk.

Some things they do right however. I've noticed UK english can be overly descriptive, meaning some of our words are really long and I'll get the odd look of 'oh my god, you are still not finished saying the word for that thing'

see:

Washing up liquid vs Dish Soap

Deep fat fryer vs fryer

... and loads I can't think of right now where we have 5 words and they have 1.

Another thing we do is add 'ie or 'y' to the end of words which, from an outsider's perspective, makes them sound really twee. This is the source of endless amusement to my girlfriend. She lost her shit the first time I said 'Wheelie bin'.

• Upvote 1

New Yorkers refer to being in a queue as 'waiting ON line'. 'In line' i could deal with but 'on line' is just plain silly.

'I wrote him' rather than 'I wrote to him' - just remove a whole word from a perfectly good sentence why don't you?

'disoriented' instead of 'disorientated' - There are a bunch like this where repeated consonant sounds are just removed. They probably call a banana a 'bana'

'did you eat yet' instead of 'have you eaten' - 'mercans completely overlook the past perfect tense. Ugh, tsk.

Some things they do right however. I've noticed UK english can be overly descriptive, meaning some of our words are really long and I'll get the odd look of 'oh my god, you are still not finished saying the word for that thing'

see:

Deep fat fryer vs fryer

Another thing we do is add 'ie or 'y' to the end of words which, from an outsider's perspective, makes them sound really twee. This is the source of endless amusement to my girlfriend. She lost her shit the first time I said 'Wheelie bin'.

Are you dating Tub Girl?

see:

Deep fat fryer vs fryer

The Americanism that still baffles me the most is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". How do they not understand they're saying the opposite of what they mean?

• Upvote 1

Al-oo-min-um instead of Aluminium. They didn't like the last I, so they just don't say it.

New-cu-ler instead Nuclear. They add a vowel between the C and the L. Why?

They are bad at saying words

Pedantically, Americans spell "aluminum" <- like that. No idea why, but it means the pronunciation is technically correct.