aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Nowadays everyone leaves school with As in everything, so there has to be a degree for everyone. It must only be a matter of time before Aberdeen College becomes 'Aberdeen Gallowgate University' and hands out degrees in bricklaying, hairdressing and re-sitting Highers.

Anyway....I did say 'don't get me started on RGU/RGIT' !

So? Let people do them. They're no less of a degree, and snobbishness is hardly the most constructive attitude.

Nowadays, 'practical' degrees are probably more appropriate to job culture than a degree in, say, History of Art or Sociology.

QUOTE]

I wasn't being constructive...I was 'pet-hating' as per the thread!

'Job Culture' sums up RGU for me :(

I have an honours degree in Business Studies, graduating from RGU in 2003 (a 2:2 but nobody tends to ask). This was obtained for less than 25% "attendance" at classes and lectures (so I was told in a threatening letter which demanded I go to see an advisor....which I never did) and around 20 hours of actual study over 3 years (3rd year was an industrial placement). In my opinion only an absolute muppet could not get a degree from there. A couple of classes I never actually attended once but managed to pass the exams by reading the text book for the first time the night before. My thesis, for which I was awarded a mark of 56%, was written over a week (with little sleep) and the research was entirely fictional.

Having said all that I do think that it has helped me in getting a job and it has definitely helped me put together a case for salary increases.

I am basically a con man thanks to RGU!

I have an honours degree in Business Studies, graduating from RGU in 2003 (a 2:2 but nobody tends to ask). This was obtained for less than 25% "attendance" at classes and lectures (so I was told in a threatening letter which demanded I go to see an advisor....which I never did) and around 20 hours of actual study over 3 years (3rd year was an industrial placement). In my opinion only an absolute muppet could not get a degree from there. A couple of classes I never actually attended once but managed to pass the exams by reading the text book for the first time the night before. My thesis, for which I was awarded a mark of 56%, was written over a week (with little sleep) and the research was entirely fictional.

Having said all that I do think that it has helped me in getting a job and it has definitely helped me put together a case for salary increases.

I am basically a con man thanks to RGU!

My lack of degree stops me moving on in my job. 20yrs in the business means nothing, even several of those years have been a supervisor/management level. It pisses me off when I'm told I can't get a job in my chosen field because I don't have a degree...bollocks is what I say!! In the position I'm in just now, I get all these degree holding experts coming to me asking how to do stuff..pish!!!

Guest idol_wild
My lack of degree stops me moving on in my job. 20yrs in the business means nothing, even several of those years have been a supervisor/management level. It pisses me off when I'm told I can't get a job in my chosen field because I don't have a degree...bollocks is what I say!! In the position I'm in just now, I get all these degree holding experts coming to me asking how to do stuff..pish!!!

So long as you're not one of these types who resent younger people with degrees coming in to your workplace.

A female friend recently endured some pretty fucking savage bullying as a result of this. It made me want to be physically sick when she told me what was happening.

So long as you're not one of these types who resent younger people with degrees coming in to your workplace.

A female friend recently endured some pretty fucking savage bullying as a result of this. It made me want to be physically sick when she told me what was happening.

Don't be a fucken cocktease. Tell all!

Complete load of toss.

Well, having been involved in teaching I can assure you that the standard needed to gain an A in my subject is much lower than it once was....folk who got C passes ten years ago would cruise an A no problem nowadays. My last class (a year and a half ago) all got As, and only about a fifth were of traditional A ability.

I think it's even worse in England, where they had to introduce Astar awards to get some differentiation. :down:

Anyway, I've droned on too much.....my pet hate is old folks droning on about how great things used to be (even though they probably were)........

Postal service used to be two posts a day.

Baths were open

My bit of Holburn St had a butcher, a fishmonger, a grocer, a wee bank etc

TV had less channels, but the amount of crap was massively less (not sure about proportionately though).

Radio was better (Peelie was alive)

the Dons had players who semed to have a bit of loyalty, and often gave the Old Firm a cuffing.

etc

etc