aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Not regularly since moving out of Stoney in 2003. Still, in theory you should be able to find out where the train is. There is a system in place for that purpose, unlike the bus.

The other week we did a little tour of the 3 hotels just to see what they were like on a Saturday night. Perhaps there is some hidden lounge bar within that we didn't find, but the 3 bar's were all pretty grim looking but we ranked them as the Douglas Arms being the best for it's vastly superiour booze selection, the Stag Hotel 2nd because it was decent enough without excelling at any point. We might even have had more than one drink there but it looked like a band was setting up so we returned to the Douglas. Burnett Arms we ranked 3rd, but to be honest there could be 20 pubs in Banchory and it would still be last. Haven't tried the Scott Skinner yet.

Well, if you come from Stonehaven where it's like 1 pub per 20 people I understand your disappointment! Skinners is probably the nicest bar - always has a few guest ales in and a decent selection of whisky. Good for a quiet drink. It's a while since I've been there but last time the pub grub was pretty damn good too.

I used to work in Skinners and The Burnett, The Burnett has an alright we cocktail bar thingy where the barflys have some good chat, and the owner's of Scott Skinners are to well and truely avoided.

If an underager can go into Parkers and DJ's and come out alive. I'm sure you will all be ok. In the long run, i wouldn't go there anyway guys. It's still shit, just not rough, it's Banchory. hardly like dandering into peep peeps for a pint.:up:

Don't believe the hype, Peep Peeps isn't rough at all, it's just fucking shit.

The Burnett has an alright we cocktail bar thingy where the barflys have some good chat

I suspect this wasn't the bar in the Burnett that we tried out.

Crap dance music blaring out over ripped seats, while some neds played pool and an old alky sat asleep in the corner mumbling to himself. That would only be a cocktail bar in the 524 George Street sense of the term.

Drivers in Aberdeen that don't have a clue what they're doing in the snow. Putting your foot down harder on the throttle doesn't stop your wheels spinning you fuds.

I dread to think what would happen if there was actually proper snow in the city.

I am learning to drive at the moment and fully expected my instructor to cancel today's lesson but I'm glad he didn't. I now know what to do and there was every sort of example of what not to do everywhere I looked.

I can't believe the amount of people that don't bother to scrape their car properly. It's bad enough in town during daylight but even driving home at night there's loads of people with snow covering half a windscreen, flowing off their roof or even worse, obscuring their headlights. It only takes a few minutes you lazy cocks!

8 inches of snow is surely proper snow...?

Some people think it's only proper snow if it's the apocalyptic, day after tomorrow, levels of snowfall that bits of the US get:

BBC News - Eastern US emerges from monster snowstorm

The snow was pretty heavy for most of the morning and I assume a large part of the night, considering how much more there was this morning than when I left work yesterday. A good, proper dump of snow.

Shame the Met Office totally failed to forecast it.

These people have clearly never played project gotham racing with the nurburgring in the snow - that taught me as well as anything could that putting your foot down is not the answer in such conditions. Word is that there's more to come tomorrow, this is putting me off The idea of driving down to Northumberland on Thursday.

The snow in town today was absolutely ridiculous, regardless of whatever "aye min, we git mare sna than yous" the country-dwellers can come up with. For a reasonable period of time this morning, Union Street was almost completely white - I don't think I've ever seen that before. A lot of snow fell in a reasonably short period of time and it keep going for a large chunk of the day, and it certainly didn't help that the gritters seemingly weren't out and about (someone told me they were recalled or something, could be bullshit).

I hope it doesn't snow any more tonight. Agreed to work in the ticket office tomorrow and it's going to be a fucking nightmare. Ten hour shift, sitting on my own, with an army of bus pass wielding pensioners moaning because the Megabus is going to get them into Dundee 10 minutes late and they've agreed to meet old Bessie at an un-negotiable time. Bah. That and the fact that the the phone'll be going off every two seconds with people who want to blame me for the fact that the buses can't keep to schedule. That's right public, I arranged for it to snow today, just because I'm a bastard.

That's my pet hate for today. Err, tomorrow.

Yeah, my department at work were just sat about all day, pretty much on standby, waiting to leave, getting whatever info we could. My boss was on the blower to Traffic and Roads up at Kittybrewster and was told gritters didn't go out anywhere all last night, and weren't planning on going out this morning, as the roads were already too congested and the snow was already too deep, so it was apparently a "lost cause". Good that, eh?

Good ol' council. I've been nipping their heads for 5 weeks now, to tell them that the light in our communal area has gone. It just needs the bulb replacing, but you can't get the plastic cover off without one of their little keys, or I'd go down to B&Q, buy the bulb for it and do it myself. 5 bastard weeks. It's pitch black in the communal area anytime after 3pm. It's just ridiculous. I'm almost on my hands and knees trying to find the keyhole, and shitting it that I'm going to slip on the stairs when carrying my bike, impaling my chest with a handlebar. 5 weeks, for a bastard lightbulb, and it's still not done. What a bunch of useless ballwashing fuckos.