aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Well luckily for the good citizens of Aberdeen I do choose to ignore it, venting my fury silently here :swearing:

Also, you dissenters are all ignoring the fact that the button-box clearly changes after it's been pressed, either by glowing red round the outside of the button, or the lights behind the Please Wait sign lighting up. All you double-pressers should just cast a glance at the box before barging in.

The glowing red circle ones are rubbish though and if you step away from them they often switch off again. Total pain.

Also why did they design a crossing that forces you to look away from the traffic to see if the green man is lit? The old ones which showed you it on the other side of the road were far more sensible.

The glowing red circle ones are rubbish though and if you step away from them they often switch off again. Total pain.

Also why did they design a crossing that forces you to look away from the traffic to see if the green man is lit? The old ones which showed you it on the other side of the road were far more sensible.

Never encountered the red circle switching off, bizarre.

Those new ones are rubbish though. Often completely silent as well, so if you're looking at the road (as is only natural) it can take a stupid amount of time before you realise the box is showing green.

I also agree with the crossings straight after a roundabout being a bitch, both as a pedestrian and as a driver. Particularly nasty one coming off the St.Machar roundabout onto a blind turn into Leslie Road only to be immediately confronted by a crossing. I've had to hit the brakes fast a few times, but also narrowly escaped being runover as a pedestrian more times than I care to remember.

Also, you dissenters are all ignoring the fact that the button-box clearly changes after it's been pressed, either by glowing red round the outside of the button, or the lights behind the Please Wait sign lighting up. All you double-pressers should just cast a glance at the box before barging in.

Maybe it's because some of us have lived in this city for 20 odd years and know that the light doesn't always work on the little box thing.

As far as pet hates go, this one is more that a tiny bit lame.

:down:

Maybe it's because some of us have lived in this city for 20 odd years and know that the light doesn't always work on the little box thing.

As far as pet hates go, this one is more that a tiny bit lame.

:down:

But if the light is ON, then surely you could engage your brain and realise it's been pressed?? If it's not working then I'll admit its a grey area.

Yeah, cos this thread isn't 99% chockablock with tiny inconsequential things that just happen to get your goat.

Guest Gladstone

Pet hate number 2,341:

People ripping apart other people's pet hates.

Exhibit A:

"I'm a shortarse and hate it when a tall person stands in front of me at concerts meaning I can't see."

Cue, all the tall people to start talking about the "right" to stand where they want etc etc.

I reckon this is a legitimate pet hate - it's annoying, and one more plight of being a short arse. I'm not short - but not tall either, somewhere in the middle, and it is annoying when someone taller than you stands in front of you at a gig, whether I've been there for 2 hours or not. It's just annoying. Nobody's getting killed here - just a few short people having a moan.

Exhibit B:

A guy doesn't like being treated like he's too stupid to press the pedestrian crossing button. Big deal.

Pet hate number 2,341:

Exhibit A:

"I'm a shortarse and hate it when a tall person stands in front of me at concerts meaning I can't see."

Cue, all the tall people to start talking about the "right" to stand where they want etc etc.

I reckon this is a legitimate pet hate - it's annoying, and one more plight of being a short arse. I'm not short - but not tall either, somewhere in the middle, and it is annoying when someone taller than you stands in front of you at a gig, whether I've been there for 2 hours or not. It's just annoying. Nobody's getting killed here - just a few short people having a moan.

Exhibit B:

A guy doesn't like being treated like he's too stupid to press the pedestrian crossing button. Big deal.

Well I guess you're going to hate me for ripping into your pet hate, but... it would be pretty fucking boring if this was just a list of sore points. Much better to have discussion and heated debate.

Pet hate number 2,341:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

But you've just ripped apart my pet hate ?( *edit* unless I've misunderstood what you mean by ripping apart.

But likewise my pet hate has two groups with light-hearted debate. Group A, the sensible, polite and thoughtful people who are able to access the situation quickly using common sense and logic (me) Versus the trigger-happy, condescending, smug and inneficient crossing users (everyone else)

:popcorn:

Guest Gladstone
But you've just ripped apart my pet hate ?(

No I haven't. I was saying it's not a big deal that you don't like people thinking you're a moron. (I wasn't saying that people pressing the button is no big deal).

Fucksake, try to stick up for you...

Pedestrian crossings 10 feet from roundabouts.

Whose fucking idea was that?

Twats.

I'll go one better and say the constant run of lights on North Anderson Drive at the Hudagain roundabout. Seriously why have pedestrian crossing, pedestrian crossing, traffic lights, traffic lights in about a half mile stretch of road??

I'll go one better and say the constant run of lights on North Anderson Drive at the Hudagain roundabout. Seriously why have pedestrian crossing, pedestrian crossing, traffic lights, traffic lights in about a half mile stretch of road??

Lollypop men/women at pedestrian crossings. Surely even kids can work them, they don't need to spend my money paying a pensioner to press a button.

Did you know that on the new-style pedestrian crossings there's a secret knob on the bottom that spins when the green man is on? Seriously. On the new ones where the green man is on the panel next to you instead of across the road, next time you're near one, press the button then put your hand underneath the box and you'll find a little knob which starts spinning when the green man is on. Presumably its for folk that are both blind and deaf. It's a secret though so don't tell anybody.

Did you know that on the new-style pedestrian crossings there's a secret knob on the bottom that spins when the green man is on? Seriously. On the new ones where the green man is on the panel next to you instead of across the road, next time you're near one, press the button then put your hand underneath the box and you'll find a little knob which starts spinning when the green man is on. Presumably its for folk that are both blind and deaf. It's a secret though so don't tell anybody.

There used to be a 'secret knob' (was more like a slider thing) on the bottom of the real old ones as well. Our school all believed it was to 'speed-up' the green man cycle, so we'd slide it all the way along believing it would quicken the process, which I very much doubt it did.

There used to be a 'secret knob' (was more like a slider thing) on the bottom of the real old ones as well. Our school all believed it was to 'speed-up' the green man cycle, so we'd slide it all the way along believing it would quicken the process, which I very much doubt it did.

Ah, like the age old myth of "if you flash your headlights at a traffic lights it will change". :up:

Guest Gladstone
I also dislike the tiny red circles. The big yellow 'wait' is way more visible, making it easier to judge if there is enough time to cut to the front of a massive pack of cars while one is out and about on the old penny farthing.

I think it's all a product of the free spending ways of the council, and the budgets and all that pish. I once had the misfortune of spending a summer working in a council office (I wasn't working for the council thankfully, just based there).

I remember one afternoon, the guy who was fairly high up in the education department - he wasn't head, but not far off it - coming in and saying I've got to spend 1 million by Friday, or I'll lose it and we won't get that amount of budget for next year (or something along those lines, can't remember the exact figure, but it was substantial).

He spent the rest of the week trying to think up weird and wonderful ways to splash the cash. One of which I remember being giving all the pupils of a certain age a water bottle they could have on their desks. What the fuck?

Seriously - that is an absolutely ridiculous way to manage finances. The more you spend, the more you'll get. If you don't spend all the money we give you, we'll punish you.

/tangent.

So - the dudes in charge of crossings/ traffic lights / etc probably had to spend x amount of money and thought it would be a good idea to throw up traffic lights and pedestrian crossings everywhere. I hate the pedestrian crossings right after the roundabouts, it causes no end of congestion at rush hour times, and is dangerous when it's not rush hour (nipping over the roundabout, then SLAMMING on your brakes). Also - pedestrian crossings 100 yards from a set of lights. Why not just have the pedestrian crossing at the lights? And why is there no green manny on the lights at the crossing of Market Street / Guild Street? If I was a wee old lady without the ability to run, I'd be shitting myself trying to get across there!

EDIT: Got so into my tangent/rant that I forgot to make my point. Said point being that they change things that don't need to be fixed. The old big yellow WAIT sign is perfectly adequate, and the green manny across the road, and big loud beeps, serves everyone perfectly. The new red circle thing is a bit sleeker and newer looking, but it's stupid, as is the green manny on the little box beside you with no beeps. Stupid cunts.

Pet hate number 2,341:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

I'm just curious. Do short (and medium sized) people expect the lankys to stand right up against the very back wall? I mean, if I was to stand behind whoever it is who dislikes tall people standing in their way, then being 6ft6, I'm probably in someone elses way, and this would continue as I moved behind every single person until I was right at the back, or outside the venue, waiting for a bus home, as I've been shunned from social gatherings, due to being a bit of a tower.

Life is tough. The little folks can enjoy plenty of legroom on a bus, easy clothes shopping trips, not bashing their head on door frames and not having to bend their knees in the bath. Lankys get the best view at gigs and can reach things from high shelves.

Enjoy what you've got. Feel free to rub my nose in it when you're looking comfy on the bus into town whilst my leg is wedged between the gap in the seats and some stinky council estate mink. I'll enjoy the view at a pop concert that isn't tainted by other peoples heads and shoulders.

Guest Gladstone
I'm just curious. Do short (and medium sized) people expect the lankys to stand right up against the very back wall? I mean, if I was to stand behind whoever it is who dislikes tall people standing in their way, then being 6ft6, I'm probably in someone elses way, and this would continue as I moved behind every single person until I was right at the back, or outside the venue, waiting for a bus home, as I've been shunned from social gatherings, due to being a bit of a tower.

Life is tough. The little folks can enjoy plenty of legroom on a bus, easy clothes shopping trips, not bashing their head on door frames and not having to bend their knees in the bath. Lankys get the best view at gigs and can reach things from high shelves.

Enjoy what you've got. Feel free to rub my nose in it when you're looking comfy on the bus into town whilst my leg is wedged between the gap in the seats and some stinky council estate mink. I'll enjoy the view at a pop concert that isn't tainted by other peoples heads and shoulders.

I don't expect it at all. I was just making the point that it's annoying, and a valid pet hate. I don't think anyone expects the tall people to just move to the back. You're entitled to stand anywhere you want, but it just happens to be mildly irritating if someone taller than you stands right in your way, blocking your view.

But in future, don't ever stand in front of me, or I'll run between your legs and jump straight up, head first into your balls. Then you'll be sorry you tall fucker.

I don't expect it at all. I was just making the point that it's annoying, and a valid pet hate. I don't think anyone expects the tall people to just move to the back. You're entitled to stand anywhere you want, but it just happens to be mildly irritating if someone taller than you stands right in your way, blocking your view.

But in future, don't ever stand in front of me, or I'll run between your legs and jump straight up, head first into your balls. Then you'll be sorry you tall fucker.

Ah that's alright. I go to about 2 gigs a year anyway, so chances are slim.

OO I remember making a flippant post in a 'tall folk at gigs discussion' before and got negative rep from Nefarious C and Original Spies.....it annoys me when I've been standing in a particular spot all evening and then some Grobag fucker comes and parks himself in front of me after coming in late, but I guess it must actually be quite difficult to choose a spot while avoiding this...unless you stand in front of someone even lankier.

Those green men crossings are particularly annoying when none of the green men are actually visible from certain crossing points - the ones outside the Music Hall particularly...

I hate it when I'm in a queue and I'm next. I go up to the counter and the lady says "Now".

It's usually in places like Ellon this happens, especially the bank and the CO-OP.

It's usually ladies in their 50's-60's who are the worst offenders.

The other one that gets on my tits is when they also say "Well, I suppose". What do you suppose? Why the fuck can you not complete the sentence?!! Meh:down: