aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Hardly anyone associates Christmas with Religion any more anyway, so why all the bleeting? It's about eating fuckloads of food, and getting fuckloads of presents, and being fucking skint, and making shit promises that don't even see the end of January. Best time.

All the protecting of other cultures and religion is a bit extreme though. At an old job I had, one girl was fasting for Ramadan. Our boss actually made it a rule that none of us were allowed to eat whilst at our desks, to support her and her religion. The bad part was, she was nipping out for cig breaks and scoffing biscuits, the cunt.

I never actually realised it was now acceptable to only call it "Coffee without milk". I can't say I'm too offended by things that share a common name with my skin colour. White chocolate is fine. Whiteboard, whatever... I'd be quite alright with renaming Snow to 'Honkey Flakes' if that's how it had to be.

There was a while when they tried to stop blackboards being called blackboards, or black coffee etc instead it was all "chalk boards" and "coffee without milk". Are you fucking serious? That board is black, hence the reason for calling it a blackboard. We didn't name it after people of African origin in order to offend them. We called it a black board because that's what fucking colour it is. Same as a whiteboard isn't called a "dry wipe marker pen board", it's called a fucking whiteboard because it's white and it's a board.

I could rant all day about this, but I'll stop now...

I'm fairly sure most of these stories were/are urban legends/rumours designed solely to drum up anti-immigrant feeling, or just to pander to the great brittish desire to feel indignant...

Guest Gladstone
Hardly anyone associates Christmas with Religion any more anyway, so why all the bleeting? It's about eating fuckloads of food, and getting fuckloads of presents, and being fucking skint, and making shit promises that don't even see the end of January. Best time.

All the protecting of other cultures and religion is a bit extreme though. At an old job I had, one girl was fasting for Ramadan. Our boss actually made it a rule that none of us were allowed to eat whilst at our desks, to support her and her religion. The bad part was, she was nipping out for cig breaks and scoffing biscuits, the cunt.

I never actually realised it was now acceptable to only call it "Coffee without milk". I can't say I'm too offended by things that share a common name with my skin colour. White chocolate is fine. Whiteboard, whatever... I'd be quite alright with renaming Snow to 'Honkey Flakes' if that's how it had to be.

I knew someone would say something about Christmas not really being Christian anymore - even more so to not stop calling it Christmas or being scared of offending people of different religions. To be honest, I think they'd find it more offensive to be treated differently - it's as if we're scared of those bad muslim people with their back packs full of explosives or some other shit.

As for the "coffee without milk" comment - I think it's fine to call it black coffee, same with a blackboard - there was a time a wee while ago when overly PC knobs were trying to get us to stop describing anything that was black, by calling it black in case you know you offend a black person. Again - I'd find that more offensive than just continuing to call things that are black black. It's like trying to say "black" is a dirty word or something, which it clearly isn't

Guest Gladstone
I'm fairly sure most of these stories were/are urban legends/rumours designed solely to drum up anti-immigrant feeling, or just to pander to the great brittish desire to feel indignant...

Yeah - it never came into fruition, but I watched a TV programme once years ago, and there were people seriously saying how it was offensive, and it should be called "chalk board" "coffee without milk" etc etc. I think it may have been on some discussion programme. Can't remember as it was ages ago.

But there were definitely people out there trying to change it. I can guarantee that anyone involved in trying to implement such a policy change was white.

Tell me Ainsley, if I call a blackboard a blackboard, does it offend you?

Yeah - it never came into fruition, but I watched a TV programme once years ago, and there were people seriously saying how it was offensive, and it should be called "chalk board" "coffee without milk" etc etc. I think it may have been on some discussion programme. Can't remember as it was ages ago.

But there were definitely people out there trying to change it. I can guarantee that anyone involved in trying to implement such a policy change was white.

It should offend nobody, lets keep things in proper context....

its not just a skin type/ethnic classification ffs.... its a colour too....

Blackboard, Black coffee, Blackmail, Black shoe polish, Black eye, etc etc....

.... the worlds going fucking mad !!

Yes. That aside...

It seems to me that everyone gets ridiculously wound up about a handful of one-off incidences that don't ever affect anyone, directly or otherwise. It's typical of this country-people moaning for the sake of it over nothing.

Guest Gladstone
Yes. That aside...

It seems to me that everyone gets ridiculously wound up about a handful of one-off incidences that don't ever affect anyone, directly or otherwise. It's typical of this country-people moaning for the sake of it over nothing.

I see what you're saying here, but I'm using this example to illustrate the point of PC gone mad. I'm not going to recite every example since I saw that programme of similar PC mentalness.

I think it would be a fair point (though I don't know because I'm a white Scotsman) that all people of other ethnic origins, living in this country, whether they've immigrated here or whether they've been born and brought up here want to be treated fairly and the same (well not exactly the same, because for example someone who follows islam needs to be given the opportunity to pray etc (I don't know much about islam) at the correct times, and well, all round, for their religious beliefs to be respected, but you know what I mean - that's why I say "fairly") as white people. Obviously there has been a fight to bring equal rights to our country for women and for people of different ethnic origins for years, and this is where the debate stems from.

Some people (normally white people) take it far too far with all their PC bollocks - and I was just citing an extreme example.

According to the 'powers that be', teachers are actually to call blackboards 'chalkboards', and whiteboards 'markerboards' (or something similar).

Pet hate: people moaning about our "PC Culture".

As Craig said, most of it's made up. I hate when people get wound up about minority groups having the balls to admit when they're offended. In the M&S case, feminists found the objectification of a woman offensive. Shock horror! They've every right to. It was an advert, available for scrutiny, let people have their say.

I also hate the argument that you're gay or ugly if you found it questionable. I found it questionable because it seemed like pointless objectification. It's basic respect. Scantily clad women have pretty much nothing to do with traditional Christmas themes so it was a needless insertion of sexism. Does that mean I'm gay? No, I've a girlfriend. And I may be fairly horrific looking but that's not the point.

I think it's more the coverage of these complaints that deserve criticism. It's just going to scare people off complaining about something they find genuinely offensive if the news let the 'everyman' read and say 'oh, it's PC gone mad'. So if this carries on, we'll go in reverse, and advertisers will get away with absolute murder again. People have every right to complain, we live in a society with free speech.

And really? Complaining about Muslims getting 'offended' about Christmas? Give me a break, like you care remotely. It doesn't affect yr day-to-day life at all, it's just moaning material. Think about what's really bothering you, because it can't be that.

Scantily clad women have pretty much nothing to do with traditional Christmas themes so it was a needless insertion of sexism. Does that mean I'm gay? No, I've a girlfriend.

Maybe not to do with Christmas, but M+S invest a lot of money in their womens underwear section and so it makes perfect sense to include it in a christmas advertisement. It's not sexist at all; that's when a large chunk of their revenue can be capitalised upon, it's not just women in their underwear for the sake of it.

Also, I know you did me a solid by backing my point up but I totally don't buy this whole "I'm not gay" thing. No matter how dirty your girlfriend is, no matter how often she utilises the thumb at point of climax and no matter how many pictures of her naked/half naked you forward to me.

Pet hate: people moaning about our "PC Culture".

As Craig said, most of it's made up. I hate when people get wound up about minority groups having the balls to admit when they're offended. In the M&S case, feminists found the objectification of a woman offensive. Shock horror! They've every right to. It was an advert, available for scrutiny, let people have their say.

I also hate the argument that you're gay or ugly if you found it questionable. I found it questionable because it seemed like pointless objectification. It's basic respect. Scantily clad women have pretty much nothing to do with traditional Christmas themes so it was a needless insertion of sexism. Does that mean I'm gay? No, I've a girlfriend. And I may be fairly horrific looking but that's not the point.

I think it's more the coverage of these complaints that deserve criticism. It's just going to scare people off complaining about something they find genuinely offensive if the news let the 'everyman' read and say 'oh, it's PC gone mad'. So if this carries on, we'll go in reverse, and advertisers will get away with absolute murder again. People have every right to complain, we live in a society with free speech.

And really? Complaining about Muslims getting 'offended' about Christmas? Give me a break, like you care remotely. It doesn't affect yr day-to-day life at all, it's just moaning material. Think about what's really bothering you, because it can't be that.

You wouldn't be the first gay man to have a girlfriend you know :)

Xmas is a time for lovers and plenty buy sexy underwear so I think it's legit! I did think it was a bit risque when I first saw it and am not surprised that there has been complaints. People have the right to compain, people have the right to moan about that and tell them to shut the fuck up. It's all good.

Maybe not to do with Christmas, but M+S invest a lot of money in their womens underwear section and so it makes perfect sense to include it in a christmas advertisement. It's not sexist at all; that's when a large chunk of their revenue can be capitalised upon, it's not just women in their underwear for the sake of it.

Also, I know you did me a solid by backing my point up but I totally don't buy this whole "I'm not gay" thing. No matter how dirty your girlfriend is, no matter how often she utilises the thumb at point of climax and no matter how many pictures of her naked/half naked you forward to me.

Yeah, but do you not think the whole underwear issue was dealt with in a sort of ladsy, sexist context?

If I'm gay it's only because I'm hygenic and a good dancer.

The ladsy sexist context was appropriate given the character the actor played. I don't see what the fuss is about.

He'll want to get laid and is making sure there is no sexist internet trail his missus can get hold of.

(incidentally, "sexist internet trail" was my ex's pet name for my penis