aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

If this post was about gear you once had I would have some quality lol Now though i only have .. 

Jap silver series strat

Yamaha fg340A Acoustic

Tanglewood Bass

Macbook

Line 6 KB37 Keyboard/Interface

Tascam audio interface

Shit loads of plugins

All I need for recording at home but I have let some lovely gear go to make ends meet.. Plenty more have had to do the same though so hey ho lol

I recently picked up one of those Danelectro Fab Tone distortion pedals from the 90's for pennies off eBay. It is fucking amazing. It's the loudest thing in existence. I actually got a scare when I first stepped on it with everything set at 12 o clock. All the volume.

I can't really describe the tone but it's a winner. Muff like but with more high end and decent mids.

I've also got my hands on a Way Huge Swollen Pickle but I need to have a fiddle about with it before I can report back on it. Initial thoughts are it's a bit muddy but apparently you can tweak some internal trim pots to sort that out.

I recently picked up one of those Danelectro Fab Tone distortion pedals from the 90's for pennies off eBay. It is fucking amazing. It's the loudest thing in existence. I actually got a scare when I first stepped on it with everything set at 12 o clock. All the volume.

I can't really describe the tone but it's a winner. Muff like but with more high end and decent mids.

I've also got my hands on a Way Huge Swollen Pickle but I need to have a fiddle about with it before I can report back on it. Initial thoughts are it's a bit muddy but apparently you can tweak some internal trim pots to sort that out.

That Danelectro is a fucking horrible thing. SO loud.

I want one....

Is that fucked reliced, you clearly don't know what reliving is. Man up .

There are different degrees of 'relic' finish. Closet classics usually show small signs of hardware corrosion, maybe slight crazing to the finish, a couple of dings. They are still part of the 'relic' series, rather than being NOS.

A guitar doesn't have to be completely battered to shit to be classed as 'reliced'.

Learn up.

Want me to put a few dents and scuffs in your new guitar for you before you even get a hold of it and charge you for the service?  Err, no thanks, crazy person!  :)

If you didn't guess, I'm not a fan of relicing.  Fair play to you if it's your thing, but guitars and basses are all shiny in my world.

I think the appeal of an old guitar that looks a bit bashed is that each scuff mark and worn fret is part of the story of the guitar and who's played it.  Duffing up a new guitar to look old doesn't appeal to me.  I'd much rather let my guitars age on their own and tell their own story.

But hey if you like it then by all means get an aged guitar, it's your money.