aberdeen-music

your gear.

hibbytam

It's a Showmaster that I'd picked up for pretty cheap a while back. When I got it there were two lipstick pickups in the neck and middle which sounded mince. So I managed to get hold of a couple of the mini versions of the Burns Tri-Sonics, which I'd been wanting to try for a while, to replace them. I'm keeping the cheapo  GFS Retrotron in the bridge for now, since it sounds ok. It's really more of a standard humbucker in fancy clothing than a Filtertron replica though. But this was my first shot at soldering pickups or any modding at all really, so I'm pretty pleased with it.

• 2 weeks later...

That was through a berg ringer keyboard amp, with a graphic eq and it sounded like that still, still think it could benefit from better pickups

Would more likely benefit from being played through a guitar amp, made by anyone other than Behringher.

Come round and try it through my 1964 Fender Concert and we'll see if it still sounds shit.

I don't get the whole reliced guitar thing. At least YoungA did his himself, buying a new guitar in a relic finish just seems mental to me. Like buying a new Mercedes, but requesting they put a dent in the bumper, the paintwork is rusting and the wing mirror has come loose before you get it.

What's worse is when the "relic finish" is painted on. It's not even real chips or worn away paint. It's painted on to look like worn away paint.

The worst.